Government watch list?

Ok I just got done sending my fiance money through western union. I usually do this online. I know is cost more, but I do this for the convenience.

The last 3 times that I have sent money, I have had to call in to western union to verify personal information. I asked them why lately I must always call in? She said that My fiance name is on a government watch list! :rolleyes: I asked her to repeat what she just told me. I couldn't believe my ears. B) She said my fiance's name is very common in China.

So I am wondering if this is also why we are stuck in name check hell. I pray that whoever does these name checks has enough experience and common sence to eventually come to the conclusion that my beautiful Li is not a terrorist or any other common crook. God help us! B)

Ok I just got done sending my fiance money through western union.  I usually do this online.  I know is cost more, but I do this for the convenience.

The last 3 times that I have sent money, I have had to call in to western union to verify personal information.  I asked them why lately I must always call in?  She said that My fiance name is on a government watch list!  :surprise:  I asked her to repeat what she just told me.  I couldn't believe my ears. :Dah:  She said my fiance's name is very common in China.

So I am wondering if this is also why we are stuck in name check hell.  I pray that whoever does these name checks has enough experience and common sence to eventually come to the conclusion that my beautiful Li is not a terrorist or any other common crook.  God help us!  :angel:

210669[/snapback]

When trying to learn about Chinese names, I read that Li is the most common surname in China today (or at least when the article was written). My fiancee is Li Meiqiong; I hope her given name is not a common one.

Greg

Ok I just got done sending my fiance money through western union.  I usually do this online.  I know is cost more, but I do this for the convenience.

The last 3 times that I have sent money, I have had to call in to western union to verify personal information.  I asked them why lately I must always call in?  She said that My fiance name is on a government watch list!   :angel:   I asked her to repeat what she just told me.  I couldn't believe my ears. :Dah:  She said my fiance's name is very common in China.

So I am wondering if this is also why we are stuck in name check hell.  I pray that whoever does these name checks has enough experience and common sence to eventually come to the conclusion that my beautiful Li is not a terrorist or any other common crook.  God help us!  :Dah:

210669[/snapback]

When trying to learn about Chinese names, I read that Li is the most common surname in China today (or at least when the article was written). My fiancee is Li Meiqiong; I hope her given name is not a common one.

Greg

210676[/snapback]

Yes Li is very common. Her last name is just as common. That's what has me concerned.

Oh well.......someone pass the cheetos. :surprise:

The 5 most common surnames are Li, Liu, Wang, Zhang, and Zhou.

If your SO is a female and "mei" is the first character, it's worse, because "mei" means "beautiful/pretty", and everyone wants to call their daughter a pretty something.

It's not hopeless, of course. There are 10k characters in use in the Chinese language known by people who are well-educated (there are another 7k that aren't used at all anymore). All it takes is a father/grandfather with some literary experience and you have a unique character combination.

The worst, probably, is if they have a "danming" (single given name). Like Wang Dan, Lei Feng, etc. Those people are always ending up with the same name, exactly.

I found someone with the same name as my SO in a Google search. It's an academic whose been published...I hope that doesn't hurt. Interestingly, it seems like it's a guy.

If your SO is a female and "mei" is the first character, it's worse, because "mei" means "beautiful/pretty", and everyone wants to call their daughter a pretty something.

It's not hopeless, of course.  There are 10k characters in use in the Chinese language known by people who are well-educated (there are another 7k that aren't used at all anymore).  All it takes is a father/grandfather with some literary experience and you have a unique character combination.

The worst, probably, is if they have a "danming" (single given name).  Like Wang Dan, Lei Feng, etc.  Those people are always ending up with the same name, exactly.

I found someone with the same name as my SO in a Google search.  It's an academic whose been published...I hope that doesn't hurt.  Interestingly, it seems like it's a guy.

210684[/snapback]

That's interesting...........

I still would like to know who does these name checks. Is it done by someone in the USA or is this investigation department over in GUZ?

It's not hopeless, of course.  There are 10k characters in use in the Chinese language known by people who are well-educated (there are another 7k that aren't used at all anymore).  All it takes is a father/grandfather with some literary experience and you have a unique character combination.

The worst, probably, is if they have a "danming" (single given name).  Like Wang Dan, Lei Feng, etc.  Those people are always ending up with the same name, exactly.

I found someone with the same name as my SO in a Google search.  It's an academic whose been published...I hope that doesn't hurt.  Interestingly, it seems like it's a guy.

210684[/snapback]

According to a Mingpao News report, the most common surnames in China have changed from Zhao, Qian, Sun and Li, as noted in the Chinese classic, "The Hundred Chinese Surnames." The most common Chinese surnames now are: Li, Wang, Zhang, Liu and Chen.

210684[/snapback]

According to a Mingpao News report, the most common surnames in China have changed from Zhao, Qian, Sun and Li, as noted in the Chinese classic, "The Hundred Chinese Surnames." The most common Chinese surnames now are: Li, Wang, Zhang, Liu and Chen.

210692[/snapback]

surnames are 1st names?

Guest pushbrk

It's not hopeless, of course.?There are 10k characters in use in the Chinese language known by people who are well-educated (there are another 7k that aren't used at all anymore).?All it takes is a father/grandfather with some literary experience and you have a unique character combination.

The worst, probably, is if they have a "danming" (single given name).?Like Wang Dan, Lei Feng, etc.?Those people are always ending up with the same name, exactly.

I found someone with the same name as my SO in a Google search.?It's an academic whose been published...I hope that doesn't hurt.?Interestingly, it seems like it's a guy.

210684[/snapback]

210692[/snapback]

surnames are 1st names?

210699[/snapback]

In China, the "first" name is the Surname. The second name, whether one or two sylllables is the given name.

So, if the name is "Li Wen" "Li" is the surname or family name.

In the USA Bill Smith's surname or family name is Smith.

It's not hopeless, of course.?There are 10k characters in use in the Chinese language known by people who are well-educated (there are another 7k that aren't used at all anymore).?All it takes is a father/grandfather with some literary experience and you have a unique character combination.

The worst, probably, is if they have a "danming" (single given name).?Like Wang Dan, Lei Feng, etc.?Those people are always ending up with the same name, exactly.

I found someone with the same name as my SO in a Google search.?It's an academic whose been published...I hope that doesn't hurt.?Interestingly, it seems like it's a guy.

210684[/snapback]

210692[/snapback]

surnames are 1st names?

210699[/snapback]

In China, the "first" name is the Surname. The second name, whether one or two sylllables is the given name.

So, if the name is "Li Wen" "Li" is the surname or family name.

In the USA Bill Smith's surname or family name is Smith.

210700[/snapback]

Thx Pushbrk.... :D

My wife's given name is also Li, and her family name is a very common one. Our process for the visa, from start to finish, took about 18 months. However, I doubt this had much to do with the common name. We were among the unfortunates caught up in the now-famous Black Hole mess of 2002-03.

Really sorry to hear the name is on a "watch list." That can't be a positive development, although it is hard to say whether or not it will cause an unnecessary delay.

210684[/snapback]

210692[/snapback]

surnames are 1st names?

210699[/snapback]

Um, sorry for my lack of clarity.

What I meant was that almost all Chinese names have 2 or 3 characters. The left-most name (the 1st one you read/say) is the surname, the family name.

When I said "the first character is something like 'mei'", I meant the first character of the given name. Which would be the middle character, i.e.:

Wang Meili (Wang being the family name, Mei being the first part of the given name).

Given names like "Meili", "Danian", "Jianguo", "Jianmin", "Zhiqiang" are the Chinese equivalent of Tom, John, Mary, Chris. When combined with one of the 5 common last names (I was wrong, forgot "Chen", and added Zhao...but part of that may be including or excluding Taiwan, who has more "Chen"s than any other family name), you get lots of people with the same name.

Sort of.

The character itself matters. There are probably 100 different combinations of characters that would be spelled "Meili" in pinyin.

I would assume they do a search on the actual characters, rather than just pinyin.

So that's why it sucks so much for the people with only a single given name, because there are probably only a half-dozen (more or less!) characters someone would use in a name for "Mei". It's the various combinations of two characters that make the 100 different possibilities of "Meili".

I hope that makes things more clear...

210684[/snapback]

210692[/snapback]

surnames are 1st names?

210699[/snapback]

Um, sorry for my lack of clarity.

What I meant was that almost all Chinese names have 2 or 3 characters. The left-most name (the 1st one you read/say) is the surname, the family name.

When I said "the first character is something like 'mei'", I meant the first character of the given name. Which would be the middle character, i.e.:

Wang Meili (Wang being the family name, Mei being the first part of the given name).

Given names like "Meili", "Danian", "Jianguo", "Jianmin", "Zhiqiang" are the Chinese equivalent of Tom, John, Mary, Chris. When combined with one of the 5 common last names (I was wrong, forgot "Chen", and added Zhao...but part of that may be including or excluding Taiwan, who has more "Chen"s than any other family name), you get lots of people with the same name.

Sort of.

The character itself matters. There are probably 100 different combinations of characters that would be spelled "Meili" in pinyin.

I would assume they do a search on the actual characters, rather than just pinyin.

So that's why it sucks so much for the people with only a single given name, because there are probably only a half-dozen (more or less!) characters someone would use in a name for "Mei". It's the various combinations of two characters that make the 100 different possibilities of "Meili".

I hope that makes things more clear...

210869[/snapback]

Where else except in China. One more reason why I love the people and it's culture. Amazing.

Thanks much A Mafan!

For what it's worth, my chosen name (for here only) is the pinyin for:

阿麻烦

The "A" is a less-common surname, but is also used in the south and in Taiwan to mean "Dear". And "Mafan" is "irritant/troublesome".

"Dear Pain-in-the-Neck" would be a rough translation of my name.