Living in China

Hey I'm counting on that rickshaw income. That's my retirement plan. I think I'll get one all blinged out with some cool spinners in the spokes.

I think they have a show now called "Pimp My Ride", maybe give them a call. It would make for a great episode. :tomato:

210624[/snapback]

Yes they do (on MTV); I'm hoping to get Chip Floss do it for me; but he'd want to drop in a 520HP engine in that rickshaw.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some questions about living in China, as many of us consider retiring in China and buying property there. I hope someone can correct me but my understanding is that there are some problems associated with living in China, particularly since neither country recognizes dual citizenship.

If we were to move to China and stay for longer than six months and then decide to return to the US there could be a problem with our green card spouse returning to the US. Possibly have to file for a US VISA again and waiting another year for the interview in GZ?

If our spouse is naturalized in the US and her parents have both passed away then I believe she could only return to China as a tourist or on an employment based VISA.

Hopefully my assumptions are wrong but this is what I recollect from picking up bits and pieces over the last couple of years. I would like to think that we could come and go as we wish between the two countries but the mix of bureaucratic regulations and laws prevents this from being the case.

Hopefully someone here as knowledge or experience in these matters.

210599[/snapback]

John I believe your assumptions are pretty much correct. I understand that for a green card holder here, there are requirements for the 180 days you mention and spending 2 months every year in the US. Waivers are available but can your wife get a waiver every year? I doubt it.

My laopo says just not to worry about it. That we will work it out somehow in China and she does want to become a US citizen. We also have a time frame as of today of 7 years, 3 months so I would expect further changes in these laws by then. I do plan on going to an attorney in China when we are there later this year to get some more info.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been bugging laopo to find out what she can about getting a visa to live in China. So last night she called her boss in GZ. This man and his wife lived in the US for 13 years and became US citizens, then returned to China and started a business. Laopo was his first employee and she really helped him build his business which is very successful. He told her that every year he has to go in for a new visa and pay the 1000 RMB fee. He told her he could sign for us as his employees and we each pay the fee and

bodda-bing...visa... :clapping: so I guess as she said all along, staying in China is not going to be a problem. The Chinese have been finding ways of getting around official edicts for thousands of years... :o :ph34r:

I have been bugging laopo to find out what she can about getting a visa to live in China. So last night she called her boss in GZ. This man and his wife lived in the US for 13 years and became US citizens, then returned to China and started a business. Laopo was his first employee and she really helped him build his business which is very successful. He told her that every year he has to go in for a new visa and pay the 1000 RMB fee. He told her he could sign for us as his employees and we each pay the fee and

bodda-bing...visa... :lol: so I guess as she said all along, staying in China is not going to be a problem. The Chinese have been finding ways of getting around official edicts for thousands of years... :o  :lol:

215121[/snapback]

Doesn't sound like getting around law at all. It's simply knowing it and what rules can be applied. Surely you have some skills to provide to the employer... (cricket .... cricket...) ... then again :smoker: :roller:

bodda-bing...visa... :rolleyes: so I guess as she said all along, staying in China is not going to be a problem. The Chinese have been finding ways of getting around official edicts for thousands of years... :greenblob:  :greenblob:

215121[/snapback]

There are two kinds of visa's that would best apply if a foreigner wants to live in China. Work visa (Z visa) and a marriage visa. Currently, each have a one year validation. If your SO is a Chinese citizen and you don't want to work, then the marriage visa is the easiest.

The Z visa allows you to work, but your at the mercy of the company that is responsible for issuance of the work visa and responsible for you as well.

Of course this all changes every year, for the better I should add.

bodda-bing...visa... :rolleyes: so I guess as she said all along, staying in China is not going to be a problem. The Chinese have been finding ways of getting around official edicts for thousands of years... :o  :lol:

215121[/snapback]

There are two kinds of visa's that would best apply if a foreigner wants to live in China. Work visa (Z visa) and a marriage visa. Currently, each have a one year validation. If your SO is a Chinese citizen and you don't want to work, then the marriage visa is the easiest.

The Z visa allows you to work, but your at the mercy of the company that is responsible for issuance of the work visa and responsible for you as well.

215628[/snapback]

It sounds as if getting these one year visas is far, far easier than getting the permanent residency visa...But as you say, these things are continually changing...But it seems that laopo was right in asserting that it just will not be a problem for us to stay in China, however it needs to be done... :rolleyes:

215628[/snapback]

I know the Z visa, but I have never heard of a marriage visa for a foreigner in China. Can anyone provide a link? Thanks.

Guest pushbrk

215628[/snapback]

I know the Z visa, but I have never heard of a marriage visa for a foreigner in China. Can anyone provide a link? Thanks.

215754[/snapback]

It's called a multiple entry L visa. The requirements are listed here. Marriage to a Chinese Citizen is one way to qualify.

http://www.visa-chinese.com/china-tourist-visa.htm

bodda-bing...visa... :rolleyes: so I guess as she said all along, staying in China is not going to be a problem. The Chinese have been finding ways of getting around official edicts for thousands of years... :o  :whip:

215121[/snapback]

215628[/snapback]

It sounds as if getting these one year visas is far, far easier than getting the permanent residency visa...But as you say, these things are continually changing...But it seems that laopo was right in asserting that it just will not be a problem for us to stay in China, however it needs to be done... :blink:

215710[/snapback]

Would you rather be at the mercy of the employer or your wife?

Actually, I wish I had know about the spousal visa, does that visa allow multiple entries into China?

During the five years I lived in China, I was on a Z work visa. It had to be renewed every year, but the cost was nowhere near 1000 RMB. The most I ever paid was 250 and that was always paid by my employer. As someone mentioned, these laws appear to be changing quickly so it is best to try to stay updated.

Let me add a few words here.

I was on a Z visa in China for four years during 00-04. Z visa is much better than a L visa, because marriage-based L visa can be extended 3 or 6 months at one time for a limited number of times (like 2-3 times), then after that you have to leave China and come back again with another L visa!!! There are a lot of hassles associated with marriage-based L visa due to its short expiration period. Z visa, while more difficult to get, has longer duration. For example, in Beijing, a Z visa can be extended for two years at one time and can also have multiple-entry feature. Yes, Z visa is at the mercy of your employer. That is the downside.

I am contemplating retiring in China. But getting a Chinese Green Card is extremely difficult. I was reading a story that the Chinese government finally awarded a Green Card to a Nobel laureate, a Chinese American, after many years of effort.