I'm just thinking out loud here. A number of members are considering retirement in China, and some are starting to establish banking relationships there. I'm just wondering if opening an account in the relative's name would make a difference when it came to showing "economic ties" for purposes of getting a tourist visa to the US.

My mother-in-law has been to the US once for visiting her daughter, and she left the US before the expiration date, but she got denied this time, why? She has property, bank account, another daughter but no husband in China. She's been to many countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Japan and Canana.

My friend's parents got a one-year visitor visa recently. They prepared the same documents my mother-in-law prepared. They don't have any child in China. And they've never been to the US before. How come they could make it but my mother-in-law couldn't?

Does anyone have any idea? Thanks.

Guest pushbrk
My mother-in-law has been to the US once for visiting her daughter, and she left the US before the expiration date, but she got denied this time, why?  She has property, bank account, another daughter but no husband in China.  She's been to many countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Japan and Canana.

My friend's parents got a one-year visitor visa recently.  They prepared the same documents my mother-in-law prepared.  They don't have any child in China.  And they've never been to the US before.  How come they could make it but my mother-in-law couldn't?

Does anyone have any idea?  Thanks.

226588[/snapback]

What was the daughter's visa status at the time of the first visit?

The daughter is student (F1) at the first visit. When she try the second interview, her daughter graduated and didn't have a job at that moment. I assume the daughter was student. Now the daughter is applying H1 working visa thru her job. Do you think my mother-in-law should try again after the daughter gets the H1? Many thanks.

Guest pushbrk
The daughter is student (F1) at the first visit.  When she try the second interview, her daughter graduated and didn't have a job at that moment.  I assume the daughter was student.  Now the daughter is applying H1 working visa thru her job.  Do you think my mother-in-law should try again after the daughter gets the H1?  Many thanks.

226973[/snapback]

It would be a shot in the dark to advise you with so little information. It costs what it costs to apply. It's up to you.

I take it your wife is one of two daughters in the US. What are the other pertinent circumstances?

My mother-in-law has been to the US once for visiting her daughter, and she left the US before the expiration date, but she got denied this time, why?  She has property, bank account, another daughter but no husband in China.  She's been to many countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Japan and Canana.

My friend's parents got a one-year visitor visa recently.  They prepared the same documents my mother-in-law prepared.  They don't have any child in China.  And they've never been to the US before.  How come they could make it but my mother-in-law couldn't?

Does anyone have any idea?  Thanks.

226588[/snapback]

I know people at work who brought their parents over for a visit with no problem at all. Another's parents tried three times - made the 24 hr. trip to Shanghai and paid the $100 visa fee - just to hear the VO say "No".

It's difficult to say from the circumstances why one would get the visa, and another would not. The only feedback given is the 'Yes' or 'No'.

The daughter is student (F1) at the first visit.  When she try the second interview, her daughter graduated and didn't have a job at that moment.  I assume the daughter was student.  Now the daughter is applying H1 working visa thru her job.  Do you think my mother-in-law should try again after the daughter gets the H1?  Many thanks.

226973[/snapback]

It would be a shot in the dark to advise you with so little information. It costs what it costs to apply. It's up to you.

I take it your wife is one of two daughters in the US. What are the other pertinent circumstances?

226983[/snapback]

My mother-in-law has three kids, one daughter in the US is waiting for H1, another daughter is in China, and my husband just got IR1 last month and will go to the US soon.

The second time she went for the interview, my father-in-law passed away already. I think it was the main reason she got denied.

Guest pushbrk
The daughter is student (F1) at the first visit.?When she try the second interview, her daughter graduated and didn't have a job at that moment.?I assume the daughter was student.?Now the daughter is applying H1 working visa thru her job.?Do you think my mother-in-law should try again after the daughter gets the H1??Many thanks.

226973[/snapback]

226983[/snapback]

My mother-in-law has three kids, one daughter in the US is waiting for H1, another daughter is in China, and my husband just got IR1 last month and will go to the US soon.

The second time she went for the interview, my father-in-law passed away already. I think it was the main reason she got denied.

227072[/snapback]

Well, there you go. No husband as an anchor to return to China is a huge, change in circumstances.