I'm DCF'ing It!

Hello All,

I want to say to everyone that I really appreciate your help with this whole process. I do not know where I would be without this forum. It has been such a blessing.

After praying, talking with our parents, and looking at our options, we have decided to get married while I am still a teacher in China. We will then file directly with the Beijing Embassy. Although we will be separated while the forms are being processed and I am at graduate school, we should be together much sooner.

However, this leaves me with a few questions. On the I-130, it asks for the "last address at which you lived together." However, when I fill out the form, we really won't have had enough time to "live together." Can you leave this blank?

Also, it asks about where my wife will apply for adjustment of status. What should I put here? My permanent address will be in California, but we will be living on the East Coast while I am at Grad School.

Also, my fiance has lived in Australia for a couple years to get her master's degree. For her Police Certificate from Australia, should she just get the name check, or should she also do the fingerprint check?

Thank you all for your advice. Take care and God bless.

Guest pushbrk
Hello All,

I want to say to everyone that I really appreciate your help with this whole process. I do not know where I would be without this forum. It has been such a blessing.

After praying, talking with our parents, and looking at our options, we have decided to get married while I am still a teacher in China. We will then file directly with the Beijing Embassy. Although we will be separated while the forms are being processed and I am at graduate school, we should be together much sooner.

However, this leaves me with a few questions. On the I-130, it asks for the "last address at which you lived together." However, when I fill out the form, we really won't have had enough time to "live together."  Can you leave this blank?

Also, it asks about where my wife will apply for adjustment of status. What should I put here? My permanent address will be in California, but we will be living on the East Coast while I am at Grad School.

Also, my fiance has lived in Australia for a couple years to get her master's degree. For her Police Certificate from Australia, should she just get the name check, or should she also do the fingerprint check?

207890[/snapback]

For your address questions, I suggest using those that are most permanent in nature. Her permanent address on your wedding date would be the last address you lived together and your permanent address in California is the one to use as a US address. Don't leave anything blank. Use "none" or "N/A". However, you certainly don't want to use either of those when asked for the last address two married people lived together, when doing a DCF filing.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

I agree with Mike that her permanent address should suffice, and I also agree that you should not leave anything blank.

On the adjustment of status address question, are you referring to Question #22 of the I-130? If so, you should mark NA for the city and state since she will enter the US as a legal permanent resident and won't need to adjust status. However, be sure to show Guangzhou, China as the American consular post where she will be applying for the visa.

I'm not sure about fingerprints requirements for the US consulate, but you may be required to get fingerprints done in order to get an Australian police clearance certificate. Take a look at http://www.afp.gov.au/business/criminal_history_checks . Also, we have one member who resided in Australia (audelair) who might be able to shed some light on what the Australian police clearance certificate process is all about.

Good luck.

Hello All,

However, this leaves me with a few questions. On the I-130, it asks for the "last address at which you lived together." However, when I fill out the form, we really won't have had enough time to "live together."  Can you leave this blank?

207890[/snapback]

For your address questions, I suggest using those that are most permanent in nature. Her permanent address on your wedding date would be the last address you lived together and your permanent address in California is the one to use as a US address. Don't leave anything blank. Use "none" or "N/A". However, you certainly don't want to use either of those when asked for the last address two married people lived together, when doing a DCF filing.

207893[/snapback]

Thank you for your help. I was curious where I can find a PDF version of I-130 where I can fill in the blanks on the computer. I have been looking at Visa Journey, but the I-130 form I download does not allow for me to type into the blanks.

Also, just to confirm, since we are doing DCF, she DOES NOT need to worry about adjusting status when she enters the United States (as it questions on line #22), but instead will APPLY for a VISA at GUZ?

Thanks again everyone!

Hello All,

207890[/snapback]

207893[/snapback]

Thank you for your help. I was curious where I can find a PDF version of I-130 where I can fill in the blanks on the computer. I have been looking at Visa Journey, but the I-130 form I download does not allow for me to type into the blanks.

Also, just to confirm, since we are doing DCF, she DOES NOT need to worry about adjusting status when she enters the United States (as it questions on line #22), but instead will APPLY for a VISA at GUZ?

Thanks again everyone!

208547[/snapback]

From my understanding, because your filing direct your automatically filing under a CR1 status. Which means there isn't a need to adjust status.

If anyone wants to correct me, please do.

Guest pushbrk
Hello All,

207890[/snapback]

207893[/snapback]

Thanks again everyone!

208547[/snapback]

You will find fillable forms at www.visapro.com

Hello All,

However, this leaves me with a few questions. On the I-130, it asks for the "last address at which you lived together." However, when I fill out the form, we really won't have had enough time to "live together."0„2 Can you leave this blank?

207890[/snapback]

207893[/snapback]

Thanks again everyone!

208547[/snapback]

This link works for me now. I did a quick test, and all the filled information can be erased and entered correctly by you, and then printed. The box's that are checked, just uncheck with the mouse.

http://www.visajourney.com/examples/INS-Form-I-130.pdf