Getting divorce papers authenticated

Guest ShaQuaNew
while i'm waiting for my SO signed papers. I read that one should get birth certificate, divorce papers authenticated. I havent seen it on the us consulate web site. Is it really nessary????

206810[/snapback]

It's absolutely necessary for a Chinese partner to have official documents like birth, death, and divorce certificates translated from Chinese to English, and notarized. There are a number of facilities in larger cities capable of fulfilling this requirement for a fee. Some are better than others.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
while i'm waiting for my SO signed papers. I read that one should get birth certificate, divorce papers authenticated. I havent seen it on the us consulate web site. Is it really nessary????

206810[/snapback]

Is it ONLY necessary for the Chinese partner to get their divorce documents authenticated and translated to English for our USCIS submissions? I am a US citizen and recently submitted copies of my divorce papers in the I-130 packet but I did not get them notarized, I did not see any wording to that effect on the I-130 instructions and since the divorce papers them selves are signed by a judge I did not see any reason for this.

206810[/snapback]

Is it ONLY necessary for the Chinese partner to get their divorce documents authenticated and translated to English for our USCIS submissions? I am a US citizen and recently submitted copies of my divorce papers in the I-130 packet but I did not get them notarized, I did not see any wording to that effect on the I-130 instructions and since the divorce papers them selves are signed by a judge I did not see any reason for this.

206840[/snapback]

I agree, although I have heard of RFEs because the petitioner did not submit a document with the court seal clearly shown.

On the question of translated notarial certificates, it is an absolute must that the Chinese applicant provide translated notarial certificates along with the translator's certification that the translation conforms to the original Chinese copy. Keep in mind though that some notarial documents have a one year shelf life (police clearances and single certificates).

The authority for the notarial documents comes from GUZ's website:

http://guangzhou.usconsulate.gov/kvfaq.html

"The applicant should bring the following original documents:

Forms in the appointment packet

Chinese passport.

Application fee receipt

Four visa photos attached to forms DS-156

Notarial birth certificate

Notarial marital status certificate. If divorced before, previous divorce certificates for each marriage are required. If any child from previous marriage will also apply for visa, a divorce decree showing the child's custody is needed.

Notarial police certificates are required from each visa applicant aged 16 or over issued by his/her local municipal notary office where he/she has resided for at least six months since attaining the age of sixteen. Police certificates are also required from all other countries where the applicant has resided for at least one year.

Medical report

Affidavit of Support - I-134 and a copy of the most recent year tax returns from the petitioner.

Relationship evidence, such as correspondence and photos taken together to prove the claimed relationship to the petitioner

Translations: Police certificates from other countries not in English, or in the official language of the country must be accompanied by certified English translations. Translations must be certified by a competent translator and sworn to before a notary public."

There is some question whether police certificates written in Chinese (the official language) need to be translated. My advice is to get them translated.

• 2 weeks later...
I simply sent a copy of my divorce Decree of Dissolution. It was not notarized or certified. It did not hold up my application at all. The petitioner's birth certificate is not needed if you include a copy of all pages of your passport.

206865[/snapback]

Ok thanks to all for your Info, But i have another question

My SO noticed after the fact that on her G-325 forms that the address had a very slight mistake. How do i correct this? have her redo and wait another 20 days or can i just ink in the info ?. is it possible to scan and have her e-mail me the new forms??

Edited by tcrocks38 (see edit history)
Guest pushbrk
I simply sent a copy of my divorce Decree of Dissolution. It was not notarized or certified. It did not hold up my application at all. The petitioner's birth certificate is not needed if you include a copy of all pages of your passport.

206865[/snapback]

My SO noticed after the fact that on her G-325 forms that the address had a very slight mistake. How do i correct this? have her redo and wait another 20 days or can i just ink in the info ?. is it possible to scan and have her e-mail me the new forms??

209775[/snapback]

You can cover the wrong address with a sticky label cut to fit and then refer to a separate document with the correct address. This assumes you haven't already sent the papers to USCIS.

206865[/snapback]

209775[/snapback]

I wouldn not go with scanning and emailing, in case they do not come across very clean, and then the signature will look like a copy anyway...

You could also do the correction in the cover letter... I corrected items that way in the past.

It's such a minor inconvenience to obtain the notarized documents for all parties concerned and it alleviates any issues with them in the process.

210035[/snapback]

Thank you for all your great advice, I followed the advice of using sticky paper actually i got full sheets of sticky paper and opened up the G-325 form and fill out the corrections and then stuck them over the mistakes.

I also had a document stating the changes I also had noterized

I filed my application on the 27 of April the nebraska embassy recieved it on the 2nd of may which happens to be my sweeties Birthday.

So i guess i will ride the tidal wave see what happens big relief just getting it out of my sight hahaha

Thanks again to all

There will be more questions to follow for we have just began

Guest pushbrk
It's such a minor inconvenience to obtain the notarized documents for all parties concerned and it alleviates any issues with them in the process.

210035[/snapback]

Thank you for all your great advice, I followed the advice of using sticky paper actually i got full sheets of sticky paper and opened up the G-325 form and fill out the corrections and then stuck them over the mistakes.

I also had a document stating the changes I also had noterized

I filed my application on the 27 of April the nebraska embassy recieved it on the 2nd of may which happens to be my sweeties Birthday.

So i guess i will ride the tidal wave see what happens big relief just getting it out of my sight hahaha

Thanks again to all

There will be more questions to follow for we have just began

212231[/snapback]

If the first person who sees your additional notarized document about the changes, is NICE, they'll discard it for you. :-)