green hats and wedding rings

As I understand it there is a saying in China that when a woman is out looking for a man to fool around with she "has her green hat on" The way the analogy started here on CFL was I told my wife that in America if a  married woman doesn't wear her wedding ring then people will think she has her green hat on.  She wears it all the time now.

206191[/snapback]

The ring or green hat? :mobrun:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I understand it there is a saying in China that when a woman is out looking for a man to fool around with she "has her green hat on" The way the analogy started here on CFL was I told my wife that in America if a0„2 married woman doesn't wear her wedding ring then people will think she has her green hat on.0„2 She wears it all the time now.

206191[/snapback]

see so i guess theres a different meaning...

i think that was the meaning that was first mentioned the other day by Lee...

so i brought it back to Chunyan and she said thats not very nice of him to say that :huh:

i was like he didnt mean anything....

she said well if i wore a green hat it meant that you cheated on me. :angry:

206195[/snapback]

Guess that means I'm not welcome in your home after insulting your wife. Thanks man... :mobrun:

Perhaps it is regional I don't know for sure. Perhaps one of our CFL sisters can clear it up but my wife was pretty clear about women and green hats. It came about when she was knitting a winter hat for my sister. She asked my sister what color she wanted and she told her green. It was then she told me about having your green hat on.

Here's one for you to ponder. My SO informed me that a man is never to buy shoes for his lady. As best Icould get from the Yishen 888 translator is that this is something of a directive for her to take a walk and the relationship is over. Of course if I picked out womens shoes she would leave as the result of my poor taste. hehehe.

Has anyone heard of this before (not about my poor taste but the whole take a walk thing with men buying shoes for women)?

Edited by Rakkasan (see edit history)
Here's one for you to ponder.  My SO informed me that a man is never to buy shoes for his lady.  As best Icould get from the Yishen 888 translator is that this is something of a directive for her to take a walk and the relationship is over.  Of course if I picked out womens shoes she would leave as the result of my poor taste.  hehehe. 

Has anyone heard of this before (not my poor taste but the whole take a walk thing with men buying shoes for women)?

206233[/snapback]

wow she should have left me a number of times then :mobrun:

Here's one for you to ponder.  My SO informed me that a man is never to buy shoes for his lady.  As best Icould get from the Yishen 888 translator is that this is something of a directive for her to take a walk and the relationship is over.  Of course if I picked out womens shoes she would leave as the result of my poor taste.  hehehe. 

Has anyone heard of this before (not about my poor taste but the whole take a walk thing with men buying shoes for women)?

206233[/snapback]

I can only say that I tried to buy Yonghua some walking shoes or tennis shoes and she refused to let me buy them. I thought it was curious at the time.

Edited by RLS (see edit history)

I hadn't heard the thing about not buying shoes.

Off the top of my head, it may be because the word for a worn-out, dirty, whore-skank is "Po-Xie" (破鞋), or "broken shoe", as in "used so much sexually she just wore out".

So by buying her shoes, you may be implying she's just such a woman? Dunno. I'll ask around.

Also, never buy someone a clock. Giving a gift is "Sending" (送),and the word for clock is a homonym for "final/death" (钟/终). The meaning is thus: with this gift, I send you death.

I hadn't heard the thing about not buying shoes.

Off the top of my head, it may be because the word for a worn-out, dirty, whore-skank is "Po-Xie" (ÆÆЬ), or "broken shoe", as in "used so much sexually she just wore out".

So by buying her shoes, you may be implying she's just such a woman?  Dunno.  I'll ask around.

Also, never buy someone a clock.  Giving a gift is "Sending"¡¡£¨ËÍ£©£¬and the word for clock is a homonym for "final/death" £¨ÖÓ/ÖÕ£©.  The meaning is thus:¡¡with this gift, I send you death.

207126[/snapback]

So it might be appropriate to send a cheap 110v alarm clock to her Ex as a Chinese New Years present? :roller:

whats up with the ring wearing and hat wearing culture differences...

i find it so hard for Chun to keep her ring on her finger, she wears it on all her fingers left hand...right hand all over the place. :P

i talked with her about what it meant if she would wear a green hat an walk down the street...i think it has different meanings from my understanding... someone here mentioned it on another post so i asked her....

she said it meant that if she would wear a green hat it means i cheated on her....

and if i wore a green hat it meant she cheated on me...

are there any other meanings besides this for green hat wearings?

206044[/snapback]

My former boss gave his Chinese driver a green hat and everybody in the company laughed.

Chinese story: A turtle has a green head which it can withdraw into its shell. When a man wears a green hat, it means his wife is having an affair and he is hiding his head not seeing anything :D

Okay, I checked on the shoes thing. It's actually almost exactly like the clock.

鞋 is a homonym for 邪 (evil). So if you send shoes 送鞋, you are sending evil 送邪。

I checked with my SO, and she said if the man wears a green hat, it means that his women is with another man. Also, not to wear any kind of turtle (picture/jewelry etc..) on the clothing too, as that means the same.

"Both mean very bad"

As for the ring, she likes the middle finger left hand. That way it puts it right up front in the middle for all the others to see (actually quite clever reasoning).

I checked with my SO, and she said if the man wears a green hat, it means that his women is with another man. Also, not to wear any kind of turtle (picture/jewelry etc..) on the clothing too, as that means the same.

"Both mean very bad"

As for the ring, she likes the middle finger left hand. That way it puts it right up front in the middle for all the others to see (actually quite clever reasoning).

207305[/snapback]

Also, when she wants to show you the "middle" finger she can do it with some class. :rolleyes: Just kidding. :xmastree:

"Both mean very bad"

207305[/snapback]

http://www.fukuoka-now.com/features/articl...?fn_code=431882

"China

No man should wear a green hat in China. It means his wife is cheating on him.

A cuckold used to be called a 'turtle,' probably because turtles hide inside their shell when trouble comes. The color green symbolizes this animal. "