Neighbors complain about live butcher shop

There is a live poutry shop in Boston Chinatown and it really smell badly. However, wife loves fresh chicken.

--------------------------------------------

April 10, 2006

FRESNO, Calif. --A proposed shop that would sell and butcher live chickens faces opposition from neighbors who fear the sounds and stench from the slaughter.

Businessman Foung Vang wants to cater to the city's Asian community, but his request was met with resistance from some city leaders and residents in the neighborhood of homes and businesses.

City zoning dating back almost half a century allows "retail poultry and rabbit sales (with incidental slaughtering and dressing)" in the area where he wants to open the shop.

Neighbor Shirley Lindsay said she was afraid of the smells, the potential for diseases and noise from the shop.

Manure and wastes from slaughtering would be sealed in plastic barrels and disposed of, Vang said. The smell would be controlled with air filters.

"Their concerns are uninformed," said another businessman, Bobby Vang. "It's ignorance of the culture."

A hearing is scheduled April 26 before the city planning commission

Back thirty years ago (with my first wife), my father-in-law was a small time farmer with home butchering. I remember everytime we'd butcher sheep, cows, pigs, or chickens the smell was something much different than going into the market and grabbing something from the cold shelf. My exwife wouldn't eat the critters her dad and I butchered because it didn't come from the local super store.

I remember visiting the factory of the great "valley of the jolly green giant". God, what smell from the processing of corn.

The point is: The smell of the raw stuff is quite different than the finished product that we buy at the store. I sure miss the good taste of home grown, home butcher and processed meat and vegetables. I don't eat much store bought chicken. I'm tired of the brownish black substance known as undrained blood on the surface on the bone on the pieces of fried chicken. Take a look at the bone after you take a bite. I also despise the bright red dye on beef that makes it look delicious and inviting. I'd rather have the gray blood drained steak from the butcher market (no MSG) that has a hell of lot better taste of real meat. I feel sorry for everyone that doen't know what good meet tastes like.

Guest ShaQuaNew

"Their concerns are uninformed," said another businessman, Bobby Vang. "It's ignorance of the culture."

205948[/snapback]

Looks like Americans are becoming known for KFC and ignorance and fear.... :rolleyes:

205948[/snapback]

Looks like Americans are becoming known for KFC and ignorance and fear.... :lol:

206472[/snapback]

My wife and I currently have 18 chickens, we will utilized them for eggs and then cull some out before winter, I have never had a problem with butchering chickens though not on a large scale. Mainly it is always a good idea to select your chicken early in the morning and not to let them have any feed for at least 12 hours. Poultry raised on open grass, instead of in over-crowded lots, are high in beneficial fats and other factors that lower cholesterol and greatly reduce degenerative disease in the consumer! Eating large proportions of living green plants, while foraging for insects and seeds and myriad other natural commodities that science hasn't identified yet, and with minimal need for medication, grassfed animals create more vibrant health than other poultry. Moreover, the meat and eggs are incredibly tasty compared to general market chicken. Currently, restauranteurs are one of the largest groups of purchasers of pastured poultry, but even among the best chefs, there is still very little awareness of the existence of this type of meat, much less about its health benefits plus my wife likes the whole chicken head and feet.

Guest pushbrk
There is a live poutry shop in Boston Chinatown and it really smell badly.  However, wife loves fresh chicken.

--------------------------------------------

April 10, 2006

FRESNO, Calif. --A proposed shop that would sell and butcher live chickens faces opposition from neighbors who fear the sounds and stench from the slaughter.

Businessman Foung Vang wants to cater to the city's Asian community, but his request was met with resistance from some city leaders and residents in the neighborhood of homes and businesses.

City zoning dating back almost half a century allows "retail poultry and rabbit sales (with incidental slaughtering and dressing)" in the area where he wants to open the shop.

Neighbor Shirley Lindsay said she was afraid of the smells, the potential for diseases and noise from the shop.

Manure and wastes from slaughtering would be sealed in plastic barrels and disposed of, Vang said. The smell would be controlled with air filters.

A hearing is scheduled April 26 before the city planning commission

205948[/snapback]

Maybe those who are complaining have walked into the first floor of the Wal-Mart in Nanning and smelled the waist from cleaning fish there. :lol:

Actually those types of Chicken are very popular with chefs these days. They are sold as Organic Free Range Chicken and command a hefty price compared to regular chicken. Most Chinese restaurants buy Roasters (older birds than fryers) because they want some bite to it not just mush.

I prefer the Brown Organic Free Range Eggs at the market. They are hard to break because they are healthier, have a darker yolk and are tastier.

Actually those types of Chicken are very popular with chefs these days. They are sold as Organic Free Range Chicken and command a hefty price compared to regular chicken. Most Chinese restaurants buy Roasters (older birds than fryers) because they want some bite to it not just mush.

I prefer the Brown Organic Free Range Eggs at the market. They are hard to break because they are healthier, have a darker yolk and are tastier.

207036[/snapback]

Yes Dan I agree, we currently have Barred Rock, Rhode Island Reds, Wyandotte & Braham's which lay brown eggs, an Ameraucana which lays green/blue eggs and a White Leghorn which lays white eggs.

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)

207036[/snapback]

Yes Dan I agree, we currently have Barred Rock, Rhode Island Reds, Wyandotte & Braham's which lay brown eggs, an Ameraucana which lays green/blue eggs and a White Leghorn which lays white eggs.

207042[/snapback]

Here is a interesting article I thought I would share written in 2005 when it was the Year of the Rooster, Wedged in between the great discussions of the world is one that has generated witty banter and dissertations: What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Yes, this question has flummoxed many great minds throughout the ages. But what I want to know is: Why all the fuss about the chicken and the egg but hardly any mention of the rooster? The male impresario of the coup, the crooner of farms across America.

I am devoting my column this week to the rooster, in honor of this year being the Year of the Rooster. Some of you might ask, “So do the animals on the Chinese horoscope mean that Chinese people cook whichever animal is represented in a particular year?”

If you can wrangle down a dragon and cook up a nice dish, more props to you. But the Chinese horoscope has nothing to do with flavors of the month. The animals are about symbolism, not an ingredient list. But since this year lands on a species of which we eat a lot, I decided to look more in depth into the rooster.

First thing first, a rooster is a chicken. A female chicken is called a hen, and a male chicken is called a rooster. A hen has a shorter tail and modest colors, while the rooster has a long, plumed tail and shiny, colorful feathers. The most obvious distinction between the two is the comb and wattles (protrusions beneath the beak). A hen has smaller combs and wattles, while the rooster has a larger comb (on top of his head) and a larger wattle.

Historians believe that the chicken originated in Southeast Asia as a descendant of the red jungle fowl, a indigenous species of wild fowl, found especially in Malaysia. Records from China reveal that people raised chickens there as early as 1400 B.C.E. They were bred for feather color, egg color and body size. During the 1500s, explorers gathered chickens aboard ships to serve as food, and Spanish explorers brought certain breeds to North America.

Chicken is now the No. 1 species consumed by Americans, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. California leads the country as the top egg-producing state. Chickens are classified into four breeds (American, Asiatic, English and Mediterranean), although different kinds exist around the world. Most American chickens come from the Cornish (a British breed) and the White Rock (a breed developed in New England), according to the USDA.

In my family, chicken has always been regarded as both medicinal and satisfying. Chicken breasts are boiled with Chinese herbs, barks and roots to make herbal soups. And unlike the Western world, which sees chicken soup as a cure for the common cold, I was always told that Chinese people avoid eating chicken during fevers and colds, which include coughing as a main symptom, since chicken worsens both ailments.

When I was living in China, I befriended a woman whom I endearingly called the “Chicken Lady.” She owned a chicken stand at the local open-air market and taught me about the anatomy of a chicken, the ways in which to cook a chicken and, most importantly, how to select a fresh one: “Bright eyes, warm legs and moist toes.”

Nowadays, my chicken comes plastic-wrapped courtesy of local free-range farms, and my dad brings home “yellow-feathered chickens” (a free-range, much leaner breed) from Asian markets, which still have their heads and feet but are plucked and cleaned by butchers.

But many of you may wonder if your store-bought chicken is male or female. Chances are those chickens are hens. Hens usually have more fat, making the flesh meatier and juicier.

In China, rooster is not widely eaten. It has a tougher, gamier flesh; the Chinese believe that the male chicken carries a lot of “heat.” Too much “heat” in food can cause sore throats, bloody noses, hives and pimples. When I say “heat,” I am referring to the qi, or energy, that is studied in traditional Chinese medicine.

Why the rooster was chosen to represent this sign in America, and not the hen, I do not know. But although we may not have a Year of the Chicken, we do recognize National Chicken Month in September.

http://i3.tinypic.com/vpfcax.jpg

I believe I ate this chicken which was being preparred next to the Dumpling place we ate at in '02. Chicken was the last type brought in. I had no problem with it. I agree it is the fish that smell no matter what country. Some of our own markets reek.