http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/Emergency/index.htm

"Caution

Due to recent changes to U.S. immigration law, travel outside of the United States may have severe consequences for aliens who are in the process of adjusting their status, extending their nonimmigrant stay, or changing their nonimmigrant status. Upon return, these aliens may be found inadmissible, their applications may be denied, or both. It is important that the alien obtain the proper documentation before leaving the U.S."

"Aliens who have concerns about admissibility should contact an immigration attorney or an immigrant assistance organization accredited by the Board of Immigration Appeals before making foreign travel plans."

Having said that, my wife's I-94 is part of her passport and we would not remove it of our own free will. My wife's AP documents make no mention of this.

The AP does two things that I see.

1. It allows a transportation line to accept the named bearer...without liability...for bringing an alien who does not have a visa.

2.AUTHORIZATION: "...Contingent upon prima facie eligibility (whatever that is) the holder of the document shall be paroled into the United States..."

Edited by yuehan123 (see edit history)

I'd say the chances are very very good that the airline or agent will remove the I-94 when your wife departs the US. USCIS took the arrival record part of the I-94, and they will eventually get the departure part (the part that's still in her passport) when she leaves the US.

For Jingwen traveling on AP, her passport and AP were all that were needed. She did encounter a few problems while trying to leave China without a visa in her passport and had to go an extra step when she cleared immigration once in the US. http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=80411