Going to AOS interview

We will be going in for my wife's AOS interview in June, I have two questions and I would appreciate some help:

1. Since December 12, 2005, only one year tax return is required for the I-864 (Affidavit of Support), But the I-797C notice (Rev. 01/31/05) ask for tax returns of past three years, Do I really need to bring tax return for three years, or just the current year is enough? My problem is that I only have 2004 and 2005 returns. What are you experience since the new guideline came up a few months ago?

2. Where and how to get a certified marriage certifiate in NYC. What does certified copy means? I guess do I need to go to City Hall again, or can a notary public perform the certification?

Thanks,

Luke

We will be going in for my wife's AOS interview in June, I have two questions and I would appreciate some help:

1. Since December 12, 2005, only one year tax return is required for the I-864 (Affidavit of Support), But the I-797C notice (Rev. 01/31/05) ask for tax returns of past three years, Do I really need to bring tax return for three years, or just the current year is enough? My problem is that I only have 2004 and 2005 returns.  What are you experience since the new guideline came up a few months ago?

2. Where and how to get a certified marriage certifiate in NYC. What does certified copy means? I guess do I need to go to City Hall again, or can a notary public perform the certification?

Thanks,

Luke

202968[/snapback]

Go here for you tax issue.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

Edited by pkfops (see edit history)

First, I will start by saying that if you submitted more than one year of taxes with the I-485 petition, you'd better bring the originals of whatever you submitted... The appointment letter should clearly state to bring originals and copies (so they don't take the original).

Second, I discovered in my AOS interview that one doesn't necessarily have to have any of the tax documents on hand... I was asked for 2005 taxes and W2s and didn't have them!! The interview let me slide and I asked him later why; he simply said, 'it depends on what we see'...

I believe the 'best practice' is to bring a copy of what you submitted for now... plus current year if you fall into a tax year change over.

---

For the marriage certs, I would be inclined to go back to city hall... like every step of this process, you should always get three copies of anything you need...

Edited by DavidZixuan (see edit history)

For our marriage certificate (ours is NY too), I originally submitted a photocopy of the form the minister, my wife, my best man, the maid of honor and I signed. The interviewer today seemed to think that was good enough, but I showed her a "certified copy" of the "actual" marriage license that NY sent me a few weeks after the wedding, and she said she'd put it in our file just to make sure we didn't run into any problems.

Anyway, your average drug store notary may or may not be able to do it, but most banks should have a service where they can certify a document as an exact copy of the original. They make the copy for you. Your bank should be able to do it free for you.