AOS Interview Passed.

Has anyone ever not passed this stage?

Although we brought a complete copy of the I-485 package submitted, and every other document I thought we might need, photos, receipts, misc papers proving we live in the same hut, birth booties, kindergarten gold stars, blender, crushed ice..... we were only asked for two documents, her passport to stamp the I-55 approval and the original notice for us to go to the interview.

We signed two documents, one was a statement that she had not been in removal procedures from the US before, and the other to acknowledge the time of the two year green card and to be aware of the "90 days before" warning to submit for the 10 year one.

The interviewer removed the I-94 card from the passport and said they would keep it because the new stamp is all that is needed.

I and my SO think there were two reasons why we went smoothly and quickly. (3 others who started before us were still in interview when we left). We were done in less than 5 minutes.

One was, while we were sitting in the hallway waiting for our turn, we were cracking jokes, laughing and smiling when the interviewer came to get us,

although we did not know that for a minute or so while they were doing paper things down the hall after walking by before calling us in. (Everyone else waiting seemed to be at a funeral).

Second, the interviewer was highly impressed with my organized package (for both K1 and AOS) and asked me questions about where I got the tabs, the software to use them, and how to reuse and not waste them when printing them out. She commented that the package made things easy, and I could see that as she went down her check list, a quick flip, a check mark, and next and so on. This occurred before the questions for the interview. Here are the questions as I can best remember them for the interview.

How did you meet? Online? Name of site?

When did you first meet in person?

Where did you meet? (Did we meet in China?).

Where did the Petitioner stay?

How many times did the Petitioner go to China?

Did the Petitioner go to the Interview in Guangzhou?

Did the Petitioner meet the family in China?

Has the Beneficiary met the Petitioner's family in America?

What are some of the things you like to do together?

Except for the last three questions, the answers were already within the paperwork on their desk. (Which contained everything I ever sent them. I could tell this because I had used a different color spacer sheet to hold the tabs for each section I sent to them from the beginning of this journey. This made it easy for me to know what they had from across the desk as it looked like a rainbow).

As some of you might remember, I took the I-693 Vaccination supplement out of the sealed envelope so that I could get it into my package all nice and neat and ACCO'd. (I did not know I should not do this at that time). This did not present a problem obviously. However I would not recommend doing this. (This was my number one worry for the interview, that we would be delayed somehow for this). Again, my thought is that the package as a whole is what made it for us. I always say, no matter what you do, if they want to find something wrong, they can, so do your best to eliminate the easy possibilities. Make it easier for them to pass you.

Neither of us wear rings. Our last names were unchanged after marriage.

Again my thanks to CFL.

Edited by nooneufo (see edit history)

Thank you, and wishing you well with the upcoming interviews ( NY-Viking and pkfops).

I am adding this after reading a few other posts and it jogged my memory:

At the interview one other question was asked that I completely forgot about concerning financials. I had sent in with the AOS application tax returns and pay stubs for the years 2002, 2003 and 2004. My 2005 taxes are still not completed, and I had no papers to show income for 2005 at the time of submission of the AOS. In between our talk on paper tabs and Hong Kong (We were small-talking with the interviewer) I was asked about my pay. I simply stated what my income was monthly, that it was close to the same as in 2004 and asked if she wanted the papers. As I was about to look for them in my clear folder, she pulled out a calculator and added up the yearly rate and said it looked fine.

I am assuming this was just something she chose to check, without requiring papers. 2002, 2003, and 2004 all showed above the requirements. But I was ready with support papers if it was needed.

Edited by nooneufo (see edit history)