Boston Globe Article 12/6/02

There have been several comments both positive and negative, about the tone of this article that I would like to try and address. We Alan, Tony and I had tried to get the main focus of this article on the Visa Delay situation. However, the copy editor, not the reporter has the final say on just what goes into an article.

No one wanted the term "Mail Order Bride" anywhere in this article. But obviously the copy editor thought this would generate more publicity. Which is after all, all the Boston Globe or any newspaper, is really interested in. However, I know I have taken an enormous amount of teasing from my friends and colleagues, as I am sure have Alan & Tony.

The point being is that this article is in fact getting the word out, and questions are starting to be asked as to why are China and Russia, being treated differently from the rest of the US-Consulates, worldwide. I believe this is an extremely positive step. Now the general public is finally starting to ask why countries such as Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, countries known to harbor terrorists, are still getting thousands of Visas, with out the same security checks as China and Russia. Countries not know for harboring terrorists.

As far as I know there have been very few of these articles published across this wonderful country. So I suggest some of you get more involved, start contacting your local newspapers and tell your story. Don't wait for someone else, get more involved in this process. I am trying to do everything and anything that will bring Lili here, ASAP. Tell them the Boston Globe has already addressed this issue, and it is time some other papers from across the country to also address this issue and try to let the US Government know we want answers on why terrorist countries are still getting visas and China and Russia, are still be held up at the Department of State???

This is just my personal opinion. Have a great day everyone.

Bob M. :huh:

I thought what Cindy (reporter) said about me is pretty true. I did tell her about Yan's cooking and helping out with her family. Every time I talked to Yan, she is helping with the housework.. I don't see anything wrong with that. However, Cindy didn't write everything I said. I did tell Cindy that Yan is also beautiful, very independent and loves American culture (music and movies). Also, what she wrote about my proposal is true. I told Cindy that we communicate by phone mostly (not emails). I also mentioned the phone rate to China increased 4 fold and we don't talk as much. Cindy did ask me why I don't find an American women. She asked "Is it because American women expect too much?" I didn't answer that question. I met my fiancee from her older sister who lives in USA. So Yan is not a mail-order bride. That is why I was featured at the end of the article.

I was wondering if Bob really said that American women only care "What can you do for me....?" and that he was "Frustrated with American women".

-- Tony :huh:

I think we all know what the meaning of the message was, it's just too bad that you never know what those reporters are going to fill into the gaps around the main idea. It's happen to me before where you get quoted on a positive thing, but they put you in the middle of some other stuff going on, and then part of the meaning gets lost.