Medical Exam for adjustment of status

I applied for fiance visa and arrived in USA in Jan. Before I came here, I had my medical exam that required by US consulate for visa interview. Now I am applying for the adjustment of status and Form I-693 needed to be filled by doctor. Does anyone here know whether I need another medical exam for adjustment?

Thank a lot for kind help.

The short answer is no: http://uscis.gov/graphics/i-693faq.htm

"...Ks: If you were admitted to the United States as a fiance(e) (K-1), child of a fiance(e) (K-2), Spouse of a U.S. citizen (K-3), or child of K-3 (K-4), and received a medical examination prior to admission, then you do not require another medical examination as long as your application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. You will, however, be required to submit a vaccination supplement with our adjustment of status application. The vaccination supplement must be completed by a designated civil surgeon."

Many civil surgeons either don't know this or try to get you to have another exam for the money. You may need to shop around for a civil surgeon who will not want to give another exam.

The short answer is no:  http://uscis.gov/graphics/i-693faq.htm

"...Ks: If you were admitted to the United States as a fiance(e) (K-1), child of a fiance(e) (K-2), Spouse of a U.S. citizen (K-3), or child of K-3 (K-4), and received a medical examination prior to admission, then you do not require another medical examination as long as your application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. You will, however, be required to submit a vaccination supplement with our adjustment of status application. The vaccination supplement must be completed by a designated civil surgeon."

Many civil surgeons either don't know this or try to get you to have another exam for the money.  You may need to shop around for a civil surgeon who will not want to give another exam.

202720[/snapback]

:huh: Thank you! Your imformation really helps.

Here's what happens to many people: The doctor's office tells them they will not do a sign-off without a physical... just keep calling another office if this happens.

Or as what recently happened to one of my wife's friends, she got to the appointment and they told her they were going to do a physical !!

She called us, and I told her to put the nurse on the phone and then I proceeded to read the I-485 instructions to her, that K1 doesn't need a physical... the nurse backed down and said, we'll sign off on the vaccination sheet for $50...

Bring some evidence to the office, to show that you know it not required...

I believe if the doctor is certified as a civil surgeon by the USCIS, they should be responsible for signing off any cases for a small fee. That is their primary responsibility for having their name on the approved list. They asked for it. Otherwise, they should get delisted.

• 2 months later...

Seems to me that a big part of the confusion is in the form(s) themselvs. The I-693 basically requires the doctor to sign and swear to have examined a particular individual. And the I-485 package (as far as I can tell) requires a completed form I-693.

However, the regulations state that a K visa applicant who had a medical exam within a year prior to filing for AOS does not need a new medical exam, only the I-693 supplemental vaccination form - which is not the same as the I-693.

So it's something of a catch 22. Or am I missing something??

Seems to me that a big part of the confusion is in the form(s) themselvs. The I-693 basically requires the doctor to sign and swear to have examined a particular individual. And the I-485 package (as far as I can tell) requires a completed form I-693.

However, the regulations state that a K visa applicant who had a medical exam within a year prior to filing for AOS does not need a new medical exam, only the I-693 supplemental vaccination form - which is not the same as the I-693.

225716[/snapback]

Just to be clear: A physical is required for the I-485... but K#s do not need to submit one themselves (if one was done in the last year as part of the visa process), the one done in china is submitted on their behalf; we just get the I-693 supplemental done.

The instructions for the I-485 has the comments that a K# does not need the physical and 'may' submit the supplemental (which leads to yet another confusion on whether to submit with the package or at the interview :cheering: ).

If nobody (ie: Civil Surgeons) contradicted the instructions, I think all would be ok... I see them as the source of the problem.

---

good to see you richard :cheering:

The IO should have in their stack of papers the medical exam from Guangzhou. If you have to spend the money, it's insurance that one will be there at the interview.

We were fortunate that the the first civil surgeon we called gave us the vaccination supplement (only) for $10. Take a blank I-485 form with the part about the K-visas circled with you to the surgeon's office.

225716[/snapback]

Just to be clear: A physical is required for the I-485... but K#s do not need to submit one themselves (if one was done in the last year as part of the visa process), the one done in china is submitted on their behalf; we just get the I-693 supplemental done.

The instructions for the I-485 has the comments that a K# does not need the physical and 'may' submit the supplemental (which leads to yet another confusion on whether to submit with the package or at the interview :) ).

If nobody (ie: Civil Surgeons) contradicted the instructions, I think all would be ok... I see them as the source of the problem.

---

good to see you richard :P

225725[/snapback]

Good to see you, too, David!

I'm a little tardy, for a whole stack of reasons, in submitting the AOS package. (Still awaiting the marraige certificate - my screw up.)

I'll follow the advice in this and other threads - call the whole list of civil surgeons until I find one that will fill out the I-693A without an exam. My wife had her exam within the last year, so no problem.

I agree that the civil surgeons do tend to throw a spanner in the works. Best bet is to walk in with the I-485 instructions in hand, and to pre-qualify the civil surgeon before making an appointment.

• 2 months later...

So where the heck do we get this elusive 693 supplement? CDC

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/pdf/ti-03/appdx-a_693vacc.pdf

Not easy to find.

The crappy part is that there is ONE Civil Surgeon within 2 hours of me, and if the guy is a jerk, I am looking at a lost day of work and $30 in gas for a $10 form...

Merc, I ran across this post a while back: http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/idepc/r...lphblanket.pdf# Although this one deals with the Minnesota Department of Health, the blanket designation of local departments of health to act as civil surgeons to certify certain immunizations for adjustment purposes may still be alive and well in your state. Technically, the blanket designation is supposed to apply only to refugee AOS applicants, but you might want to check it out and see if it applies to other AOS applicants as well.

So where the heck do we get this elusive 693 supplement? CDC

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dq/pdf/ti-03/appdx-a_693vacc.pdf

Not easy to find.

The crappy part is that there is ONE Civil Surgeon within 2 hours of me, and if the guy is a jerk, I am looking at a lost day of work and $30 in gas for a $10 form...

I have this link in the AOS FAQ.. that's where you get it.

But you don't need it really, since the civil surgeon fills it out and puts it in a sealed envelope.. hopefully he has followed the directions and gave you a copy prior to sealing, which is supposedly required of them...

In our erxperience the problem is not with the doctor. The problem is with the front office staff.

I not only read the code to the receptionist/appointment scheduler, the office manager and the nurse I had to fax it to them. Then they relented. Another, nearby, civil surgeon's office staff emphatically and rudely refused to even consider amending their policy of 'medical required.'

Like they all said- shop around.