Travelling to Thailand via Beijing and Seoul

I'm headed back over at the end of the month for a one week vacation in Thailand. Asiana has some decent fares from Beijing to Bangkok but they stop in Seoul (talk about flying in the wrong direction!). Will Ling need a transit visa for Korea or do the transfers occur before the immigration checkpoint? I know this can vary by airport and country.

Thanks

I'm headed back over at the end of the month for a one week vacation in Thailand.  Asiana has some decent fares from Beijing to Bangkok but they stop in Seoul (talk about flying in the wrong direction!).  Will Ling need a transit visa for Korea or do the transfers occur before the immigration checkpoint?  I know this can vary by airport and country.

Thanks

in case you still want to, Asiana will do the transfer visa for you, last time I flight with them...

What does anyone else know about this general issue? I am not the world traveler like Eric, but I assumed that as long as you were just doing a flight transfer, you didn't need a visa. Is this something that I need to watch out for in arranging tickets for our trip back this summer?

What does anyone else know about this general issue?  I am not the world traveler like Eric, but I assumed that as long as you were just doing a flight transfer, you didn't need a visa.  Is this something that I need to watch out for in arranging tickets for our trip back this summer?

Most airports worldwide have a "secure" international arrival and connections to other flights without you having to clear immigration /customs ( HKG is a good example )

However in a very few countries ( yep, China included ) one needs a transit visa even if you do not leave the secured area ( kinda a "bonded customs warehouse" for people :D ), or even ( like in China ) your plane merely lands there et you don't even step out of the plane.

Bottom line.. Check with whatever country you transit through, to see if a Transit visa is required.

This visa database lists requirements for every country, every type of visa including transit, and every passport holder nationality.

However, ALWAYS double-check with the transit country embassy / consulate, as they should have of course the most updated info..

If this is too complicated, just stow away on the plane ( but not in the wheel well ! :) )

Thanks for that site, Eric.

I just read a fine print I never noticed on this site..

"START:

Your current status within the United States is the first factor in determining the requirements for obtaining a visa to a specific country

Click HERE if you are a US Citizen

Click HERE if you are NOT a US Citizen"

So this apply to all nationalities , but with some kind of immigration/ non-immgration status in the U.S.

Again, double-check with the appropriate country embassy / consulate

I am not a big traveler but  do know that you have to have a transit visa for that silly Canada.

you are right! if you are traveling to the US via Canada, say you stop at Vancouver, you will for sure need a visitor's visa.

What happens at Vancouver airport is that you will actually enter the US inside the airport, and the next flight you took will just be a domestic flight...

I have experienced that myself, and have to drag all my luggage through custom check points twice: first time exit the Canada, second time enters the US...

A US citizen has to have a transit visa for Canada? I have driven across the border into Canada with no passport even!

"Good morning, why are you coming into Canada today?"

"Shopping and sightseeing."

"How long will you stay?"

"Oh, probably a day or two."

"Very well, enjoy your stay in Canada!"

Coming back into the US was harder than going into Canada and it didn't amount to much more.

A US citizen has to have a transit visa for Canada?  I have driven across the border into Canada with no passport even!  

:unsure: No. USC need no visas, even coming from another country.. I think he was refering to some non-USC..Say Chinese flying to Vancouver, then hitching a ride to US..

Then again, in Vanvouver a transit visa might not even been needed if they, like most airports have this bonded people wharehouse thing, called international arrival with transit gates, and that the traveler does not leave the airport.

A US citizen has to have a transit visa for Canada?  I have driven across the border into Canada with no passport even!  

that probably won't happen after 9/11...my co-worker has to bring her passport (US) on a cruise to Bermuda for a vacation --- just in case.

No, if you are USC, you don't need the visa, but depending on the airlines you fly with, you may still have to go through the customs (both Canada and the US)...I think...when you book the tickets the airlines will tell you if you need to go through the customs or if you need to check in your luggage again at the connection airport, etc.

that probably won't happen after 9/11...my co-worker has to bring her passport (US) on a cruise to Bermuda for a vacation --- just in case.

No, if you are USC, you don't need the visa, but depending on the airlines you fly with, you may still have to go through the customs (both Canada and the US)...I think...when you book the tickets the airlines will tell you if you need to go through the customs or if you need to check in your luggage again at the connection airport, etc.

By the way, entering Canada years ago, you could just show up a driver license.. Kinda odd considering that DL is in no way a proof of citizenship.. Only birth certificates, passports or certificate of naturalization are..

I suppose the Kanucks changed their ways..