New Immigration Legislation

I agree with most of your points with a few exceptions.

If an alien is allowed to adjust status they should also be allowed to become naturalized citizens.

I am against any amnesty for ilegal aliens. They should be deported. If they want to try and come back legally they should be allowed to petition for it but the record of their previous attempt should be in their file.

I am for a guest worker program with strict controls. I don't see any american citizens jumping up and down yelling pick me!! pick me! to work in the fields.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew
I am against any amnesty for ilegal aliens.  They should be deported.  If they want to try and come back legally they should be allowed to petition for it but the record of their previous attempt should be in their file. 

I am for a guest worker program with strict controls.  I don't see any american citizens jumping up and down yelling pick me!! pick me! to work in the fields.

202214[/snapback]

I agree with you mostly in principle, except one topic. Anyone that has knowingly entered the US illegally has broken US law should pay. Many of those that have broken US law by illegally crossing our borders, overstaying a visa, or continuing to break laws after entry to the US deserves nothing less than immediate deportation with a permanent ban from the US.

Allowing guest workers, while sounding nice and fluffy on the surface, would only apply to those that have no previous immigration violations. There is no way in hell that anyone that has knowingly broken US immigration law should get another shot. If however in the instances of visa overstays, there could be oversight. In these cases still, there should be a five-year ban.....

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Your "poll" has only two options: "let them all stay for free" and "throw the bums out." You've also salted the poll with photos of Latino extremists who bear no resemblance to the Mexicans I work with every week as a tutor.

Guest ShaQuaNew
Your "poll" has only two options: "let them all stay for free" and "throw the bums out." You've also salted the poll with photos of Latino extremists who bear no resemblance to the Mexicans I work with every week as a tutor.

202260[/snapback]

The MEXICANS shown in those photos show what's really happening in Los Angeles and other cities. The media is afraid to show pictures of these radicals for fear of reprisals. Regarding the poll, there are only two options. Enforce the law, or let it ride.....

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo. (Getty)

"[Amnesty is] a slap in the face to every single person who has done it the right way, and to everybody who's waiting out there to do it the right way."

I think we can all agree that Rep. Tancredo is right on target with his statement about this issue.

Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo. (Getty)

"[Amnesty is] a slap in the face to every single person who has done it the right way, and to everybody who's waiting out there to do it the right way."

I think we can all agree that Rep. Tancredo is right on target with his statement about this issue.

202308[/snapback]

Tancredo is probably the strongest proponent for tough legal immigration. His website is http://tancredo.house.gov/

I am realist enough to know that between Congress and the special interest groups some form of amnesty will occur, I would just like some guarantee that those who receive the free ride don't ever receive the right to vote.

The didn't earn it in any stretch of the imagination if you consider their illegal entry into the US. I know they feel they are justified in breaking the law, but if that is valid then me committing murder is just as valid. It's only a matter of degrees once you cross that line.

I have no doubt we will soon see some form of law seeking to change the status of the illegal aliens in the US, but why not give your input to see if we can protect our loved ones from the process that is the US Congress.

If you don't like my wording change the words, but don't sit on the sideline and complain, get involved.

Write Your Representative

Write your Senator

Here is the letter I sent by email:

I am acutely aware of the immigration requirements and hurtles that are involved with legal immigration, as my wife is from the Peoples Republic of China. Recent news stories concerning illegal immigrants, which appears to be the politically correct identification of illegal aliens raises significant issues that you may or may not have considered.

While I realize it may be in the best interest of the US to come to terms with the status of the current illegal aliens, I also ask that you actively pursue some very specific language with any bill proposed for a vote in the <Senate/House of Representatives>

1) Illegal immigrant vs. Illegal Alien

The wording of such legislation should remove any doubt that the person is an illegal alien, they should under no circumstances be referred to as an illegal immigrant because they did not immigrate to the United States, they illegally entered and they should not be afforded the courtesy title of immigrant for the sake of political correctness. Referring to these individuals as if they were an immigrant who for one reason or another is out of status demeans those who endured and are currently enduring the struggle of entering the United States legally.

2) Naturalization

Any illegal alien receiving a status change due to an amnesty program would be permanently banned from naturalization. Entering the US as an illegal alien immediately disqualifies the individual under the grounds of Good Moral Character. (A person also cannot be found to be a person of good moral character if during the last five years he or she is or has been involved in smuggling illegal aliens into the United States)  Naturalization is a privilege not a right and we should not try to appease the special interest groups by frivolously granting what others have worked so hard to achieve, it would only cheapen citizenship.

3) Financial Responsibility

Legal immigrants are required to have submitted on their behalf an Affidavit of Support which was designed to prevent new immigrants from becoming a public charge. This is a binding legal document to protect the taxpayers of the US and a sponsor's obligation continues until the sponsored immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen, can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters of work, departs the United States permanently, or dies.

There needs to be some method of protecting taxpayers in the US from those who would ask us to take on an additional financial burden for these illegal aliens.

4) Fee for Change of Status

The fee structure for adjusting the status of these illegal aliens must meet or exceed the fees paid by those who entered the US as a legal immigrant. This should include fess for visa processing, Employment Authorization, Adjustment of status and cost of Biometrics. Their entry into legal status should not be a free ride on the backs of hard working taxpayers, all immigrant applications have a fee structure associated to help cover the cost of processing and there should not be an exception given for those would began their life in the US by violating US law.

5) Background Security Check

The process for a background security check is important for the security of the United States, legal immigrants are examined quite well prior to and after arrival in the US. This should be performed on all illegal aliens seeking to adjust status under any amnesty program.

6) Priority of Processing

The processing of these cases by the USCIS and security checks performed should be placed at a lower priority than those who legally entered the US. The current processing time for legal immigrants is extremely long in some areas and advancing those who entered the US illegally to a priority status that delays others is just plain wrong and would only cause more anger and bitterness for those who are patiently awaiting the current process.

Any additional staffing required to process the illegal aliens need to first be task with removing the large backlog of immigration cases that currently wait for processing. This includes those agencies that perform the various security checks for immigration. Currently many people involved in the process get lost in the system for an extended period of time, a friend of mine waited for almost 2 years for their name check to be completed after being approved for Legal Permanent Resident status.

I ask that you consider these items and do you best to protect those who came to the US legally as this issue is before you.

201993[/snapback]

Thanks Lee. I wrote to my Reps.

Mat

Response from Hillary:

Enclosed is my most recent statement on immigration reform. I hope that you will read the statement in its entirety as this is a complex issue for which there are no simple solutions.

Please know that the thoughts and concerns of my constituents are very important to me and I send my thanks that you took the time to write. For updates on this and the many important issues being considered by the United States Senate, please check my website at http://clinton.senate.gov.

STATEMENT OF SENATOR HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON ON COMPREHENSIVE IMMIGRATION REFORM

March 8, 2006

Immigration is the lifeblood of America , a bedrock value tied to our founding and one that constantly renews the greatness of our country. America is and will always be a home for people who are willing to put in the hard work to create a better life for themselves and their families.

Our immigration system is in crisis. It is estimated that we have over 11 million undocumented immigrants in the United States , 1.7 million of whom are children. Our current laws fail by not providing adequately for our national security. Also as a result of our broken system, many families are forced apart, unable to reunite with their spouses, parents, children, and siblings because of a shortage of visas. Our current system allows unscrupulous employers to skirt our laws and exploit undocumented workers in the name of cheap labor . As a consequence of our broken immigration system, there is a huge drain on our state social services, including financial strains on our local and state law enforcement. The situation leaves us with a lot of tough choices. We have a system that is broken and we have to find practical but fair solutions to fix it.

I neither support illegal immigration nor the enactment of fruitless schemes that would penalize churches and hospitals for helping the truly needy. That will not fix the mess we are in.

I support comprehensive immigration reform.

That reform has to be based on:

Strengthening our borders to make us safer from the threat of terrorism and using new technology to help our Border Patrol agents be more effective;

Greater cross-border co-operation with our neighbors, especially Mexico , to solve the problem of illegal immigration;

New enforcement laws that are both strict and fair;

Harsh penalties for those who exploit undocumented workers;

A fairer process for people seeking to come to America , especially for those whose families have been torn apart;

A path to earned citizenship for those who are here, working hard, paying taxes, respecting the law, and willing to meet a high bar for becoming a citizen.

So I will support plans that meet these principles, and I will oppose one-sided solutions that simply sound tough but do little to deal with either our porous borders or the millions of families who live here.

Here is my reasoning.

A Nation of Immigrants and Laws

Ours is a nation of immigrants. Our national identity and heritage - who we are as Americans - is shaped by our commitment to welcoming people of diverse backgrounds who come to our shores to pursue better lives for themselves and their families. We are rightfully proud of this commitment, and we are made better by those who come here to pursue the American Dream. There is no better example of our nation's rich cultural heritage and diversity than New York , and its prosperity is a testament to how our country is enriched by the contributions of immigrants. When our forefathers created this nation, they envisioned a "land of opportunity," and we must never show contempt or disdain for that vision.

But ours is also a nation of laws. It is our respect for the rule of law that distinguishes the United States from many other nations and is no doubt one of the reasons people from around the world yearn to come here. Our notions of justice and fairness are revered, and it is often the pursuit of that justice that brings immigrants to our country. We betray our ideals when our laws cease to reflect these values.

There are many competing voices in the immigration debate, and because our national heritage is at its heart a story of immigrants, it is often a passionate and emotional one. But as we move forward and undertake the thoughtful reform of our immigration laws, we must continue to embrace our uniquely American values of being a nation that is both welcoming to immigrants but also respectful of the law.

Strengthening Our Borders

Smart reform must have as an essential component a plan to strengthen our northern and southern borders. It is unconscionable to think that in a post-9/11 world we do not know precisely who is entering and exiting our country. Our homeland security requires that we know the identities of all people who cross our borders. In reforming our broken system, our efforts must be multifaceted and comprehensive. During my tenure in the Senate, I have supported efforts to increase exponentially the number of Border Patrol agents. By the end of this year, the ranks of our Border Patrol will have increased by 3,000 agents since 2001, a 30% increase. But the problem is not simply one of manpower. We also need to deploy new technology that can help our Border Patrol agents be more effective in stopping the thousands of undocumented immigrants who enter the country each day. Employing new surveillance equipment - like detection ! sensors, unmanned drones, and infrared cameras - can assist in this important work. This includes stopping the deplorable and tragic practice of human smuggling that preys on the undocumented.

We must also demand that our neighbors do their part. In particular, we must have a willing partner in Mexico if we are going to stem the tide of illegal immigration into the United States . Mexico needs to be more fully engaged in this effort if we are going fix our immigration system. We must also work together to ensure that our shared, 2,000-mile-long border with Mexico and 5,000-mile border with Canada do not become gateways into the United States for terrorists. That means improving the ways in which we share intelligence and information with our neighbors.

If we can succeed in securing our borders, the Department of Homeland Security will be freed to focus its resources and energies on other credible threats against our homeland.

The Need for New Enforcement Laws

Of course, enforcement of our immigration laws cannot start and stop at the border. We need an effective interior enforcement plan as well. In reforming our laws, we must enact strict and enforceable laws that are simultaneously effective and rationally-based. They can be neither rooted in prejudice nor play to peoples' fears. In this vein, I oppose proposals - like the Sensenbrenner Bill (H.R.4437) - that target and criminalize the undocumented and punish those who would provide them with humanitarian assistance.

Among other things, our laws must go after unscrupulous employers who skirt our laws and exploit these workers in the pursuit of cheap labor. Our American values dictate that all people who put in a hard day's work should receive a prevailing wage and have a safe workplace in which to work. We must honor that.

Regrettably in this struggle against illegal immigration, we have abandoned our state and local governments, leaving them to bear the burden and the cost of our failed national immigration policies. Unchecked illegal immigration strains our schools, hospitals, and local emergency services. And while the vast majority of undocumented people do not engage in criminal activity, there are those who do, putting an incredible strain on our local law enforcement agencies. For too long we have left our state and local governments to fend for themselves in this effort. They should not be made to bear this burden alone. They need the support of the federal government in dealing with illegal immigration.

Of course, our goal of comprehensive immigration reform can not be achieved by simply patching up our porous borders and promoting increased law enforcement. Smart reform that is consistent with our values also requires that we find a way to couple an orderly and legal immigration system with a policy committed to keeping families together and treating all immigrants with dignity. Our laws can be both strict and fair. We should not unduly punish the overwhelming majority of immigrants who work hard, raise families, pay their taxes, and contribute to their communities.

Preserving the Sanctity of the Family

Although we as Americans believe strongly in the sanctity of the family, our immigration laws do not reflect this value. Growing visa backlogs often prevent legal immigrants and United States citizens from uniting with their loved ones, keeping families separated for years and in the worst cases, tearing them apart. As these family visa backlogs swell, a growing number of families find themselves having to make a difficult choice - remain separated from their loved ones for years or encourage their family members to enter the country illegally so that they can be together. To be clear, these backlogs do not just affect immigrant families - they also affect American citizens who have family members living in other countries who are also caught in this bottleneck. Any reasonable immigration reform proposal must offer relief to those would-be immigrants who have tried to play by the rules by obtaining a family visa, but who have nonetheless been unable to reunite with their spouses, parents, children, and siblings because of a shortage of visas.

The Undocumented and an Earned Path to Legal Status

One of the consequences of our dysfunctional immigration system has been the creation of a growing underclass made up of undocumented people. Estimates have the number of undocumented in our country at approximately 11 million people, a number that grows by the thousands each day. They are here illegally because our current system permits it. Both the undocumented and the United States are complicit in this. But we cannot continue to ignore the problem. No one benefits from the current system. The undocumented are made to live in constant fear of persecution, too afraid to come forward when they are sick or in need of help. Conversely, our national security is imperiled because we have an enormous population of people we know nothing about. It is not enough that we simply know who is entering and exiting the country; we also need to identify who is already here. Our homeland security demands it.

Therefore, we must develop a system that gets the undocumented to come out of the shadows. There is not a single approach that can fix this crisis. The suggestion that enacting stricter and more enforceable deportation laws alone can solve this problem ignores reality. This will only force the undocumented deeper underground. New laws, which are both strict and fair, are certainly part of the answer, but we also need a worker program that encourages undocumented workers to come forward and identify themselves. While I categorically oppose any program that grants unconditional amnesty for illegal immigration, I do support providing undocumented workers with the opportunity to earn legal status in this country. For those who work hard, pay their taxes, continue to obey the law, and demonstrate a commitment to this country, the opportunity to eventually earn citizenship should also be available. A program such as this is not a free ride, and it certainly is not for everyone. Legal status must be earned, as it was by previous generations of immigrants who became citizens through perseverance and hard work.

Respecting Our Heritage and Providing for Our Homeland Security

Balancing all of these interests is not easy, but I am committed to working with my colleagues to create a comprehensive system that respects both the rule of law and our immigrant heritage and American values. As is etched on the Statue of Liberty, we must continue to welcome to our shores those who "yearn to breathe free." But we must do so with an eye towards adopting new policies that encourage orderly, safe, and legal immigration that take into account the needs of our national security.

Sincerely yours,

Hillary Rodham Clinton

One of my many questions for Ms Clinton would be how does an undocumented alien pay taxes, is she so FU$#ING STUPID to think they are known by the IRS?

Yet, there are a few people who have worked hard to enter this country who are penalized because they overstayed a short time on a previous stay.

Get real.

One of my many questions for Ms Clinton would be how does an undocumented alien pay taxes, is she so FU$#ING STUPID to think they are known by the IRS?

Yet, there are a few people who have worked hard to enter this country who are penalized because they overstayed a short time on a previous stay.

Get real.

203678[/snapback]

Welcome to NY!

They also wanted to provide illegal aliens with health care!

I'm not a big Hilary fan but I see nothing here I dissagree with. Pretty much a common sense approach. I like her views on legal immigrants and the idea of letting illegals become guest workers is not a bad idea. As far as paying taxes Lee we all pay taxes every day, sales tax, gas tax, tobacco tax, licquor tax etc etc etc. She made a good point that they aren't going to come forward if we increase their fear of deportation.

Get real.

203678[/snapback]

Anyone who is paid CASH does not pay taxes on that money (unless they are VERY honest). Anyone on a payroll gives a Social Security number (legal or not) to their employer, and pays withholding. If the number is not legit, they can not get a refund.

Anyone who buys merchandise pays sales tax.

This has nothing to do with their status with the INS.

Just commenting on the tax issue, NOT on the illegal alien issue.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
I'm not a big Hilary fan but I see nothing here I dissagree with.  Pretty much a common sense approach.  I like her views on legal immigrants and the idea of letting illegals become guest workers is not a bad idea.  As far as paying taxes Lee we all pay taxes every day, sales tax, gas tax, tobacco tax, licquor tax etc etc etc.  She made a good point that they aren't going to come forward if we increase their fear of deportation.

203681[/snapback]

Those on a Visitor visa pay taxes, but that does not entitle them to citizenship. This is my biggest gripe, the illegal aliens entered illegally to a nation of Law and yet many wish to say: It's OK, but don't do it again and by the way here is your US Citizenship badge.

As a Nation of Laws, what message are we sending if we give the most valued item sought by many to those who's first act in entering this country was to violate the law? If we wish to follow that as a logical response then shouldn't we then follow the slippery slope and place convicted child molesters in charge of our day care centers? It gives both groups of people everything they desire...

I am not proposing we don't try to solve this problem and work toward the betterment of everyone involved, but has anyone considered those who propose to give citizenship away so cheaply have the most to gain from also giving the illegal alien the right to vote. I see it as a quick way for them to buy votes.