Renting a car in China

Shheeeessshhhhhh...what a bunch of little old ladies... :( Thanks for all the good advice really...I know you're all right in my head and I've rented cars with drivers a bunch of times and it always turned out fine but this time I really wanted to try getting my own feet wet... :unsure: I guess I'll go with the majority and sit in the back seat enjoying the scenery... :rolleyes:

201478[/snapback]

State Farm cover you... :lol: :lol: :lol: Good one

I wanted to drive last trip but I was told "NO!" by you know who. :(

I had a Japanese driver's license years ago. Even had to take the written test.

I've driven in Japan and New York but not sure which was worse. Both looked about the same as what I saw in Shanghai but there were more lanes in Shanghai.

As for an accident I am sure it would be like in Japan before insurance. Carry a wad of cash to pay off in case of a fender bender.

What I would be more worried about is the wreckage you leave behind you as the other drivers crane their necks to see the Laowai who can drive :rolleyes: :lol: :o

The one argument that I see against it is; why spend your time behind the wheel while there is so much for you to be looking at during the ride.

201493[/snapback]

It seems that the hassle and worry factor makes it not worth it Dan. I think I will get an international driver's license anyway just in case... B) It is certainly no cheaper, I saw $40/day for renting a VW Jetta and I know a driver & car is less than that... :lol:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shheeeessshhhhhh...what a bunch of little old ladies... :lol: Thanks for all the good advice really...I know you're all right in my head and I've rented cars with drivers a bunch of times and it always turned out fine but this time I really wanted to try getting my own feet wet... :rolleyes: I guess I'll go with the majority and sit in the back seat enjoying the scenery... :rolleyes:

201478[/snapback]

You SHEEP :o

Looks like Trigg won you over. :lol:

201495[/snapback]

Tell you what Lee...You rent the car and drive and I'll sit in the back seat with laopo... :lol: :lol:

201496[/snapback]

Couldn't be any worse than driving in Chicago

And here I thought I was in the presence of a bunch of tough dudes. Guys who thought nothing of falling in love with a woman from half way around the world and then going into a COMMUNIST COUNTRY to go get 'er... :lol: And now you've all turned into girlie men over driving in China... :unsure:

201267[/snapback]

Shheeeessshhhhhh...what a bunch of little old ladies... :o Thanks for all the good advice really...I know you're all right in my head and I've rented cars with drivers a bunch of times and it always turned out fine but this time I really wanted to try getting my own feet wet... :rolleyes: I guess I'll go with the majority and sit in the back seat enjoying the scenery... :rolleyes:

201478[/snapback]

You SHEEP :(

201495[/snapback]

Tell you what Lee...You rent the car and drive and I'll sit in the back seat with laopo... :lol: :lol:

201496[/snapback]

And here I thought I was in the presence of a bunch of tough dudes. Guys who thought nothing of falling in love with a woman from half way around the world and then going into a COMMUNIST COUNTRY to go get 'er... :lol: And now you've all turned into girlie men over driving in China... :unsure:

201267[/snapback]

201500[/snapback]

Well that's why we didn't let you drive in Chicago Lee... :lol:

Roger I know I am not suppose to encourage folks to break the law, but personally I love to drive anytime anywhere regardless of risk. That is why I did it in '02. But I did have folks with me who knew where to go and probably would have talked me out of any bad situation if someone hit me. Drove in the province Xian is in and around town there and back out in the country. It didn't cost me much. In fact driver almost stayed but I invited him. I was antsie after several weeks of no driving. I don't know that China is much worse than Korea. None of them stay in their lane. But yeah I guess it is wise and prudent to make sure you are obeying all the law and covered on insurance somehow.

If you can find insurance in China and your license is good I say do it man do it, just so you can say you did. :rolleyes:

Edited by SheLikesME (see edit history)
Shheeeessshhhhhh...what a bunch of little old ladies... :o Thanks for all the good advice really...I know you're all right in my head and I've rented cars with drivers a bunch of times and it always turned out fine but this time I really wanted to try getting my own feet wet... :roller: I guess I'll go with the majority and sit in the back seat enjoying the scenery... :rolleyes:

201478[/snapback]

You SHEEP :P

201495[/snapback]

Tell you what Lee...You rent the car and drive and I'll sit in the back seat with laopo... :wub: :wub:

201496[/snapback]

And here I thought I was in the presence of a bunch of tough dudes. Guys who thought nothing of falling in love with a woman from half way around the world and then going into a COMMUNIST COUNTRY to go get 'er... :angry: And now you've all turned into girlie men over driving in China... :angry:

201267[/snapback]

201500[/snapback]

Well that's why we didn't let you drive in Chicago Lee... :lol:

201503[/snapback]

We need to get your title changed to Girlie Man. :lol:

As for driving in Chicago, been there done that and prefer never to do it again. :P