Renting a car in China

I discovered recently that it is possible to rent a car in China using an international driver's license, which is readily available through services here. Some of the areas we will be going to this year to look at possible houses to buy are not the mega-cities where traffic is INSANE and having our own wheels sure would make it easier to get around and see exactly what we want, when we want. When I discovered this about Hainan I told Laopo and she said, sure and you can rent a car in GZ also...DRIVING IN GUANGZHOU... :vava: ;) Ain't gonna' happen.

So has anyone here actually rented a car in China? Any tips, warnings or horror stories would be appreciated... :D

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I discovered recently that it is possible to rent a car in China using an international driver's license, which is readily available through services here. Some of the areas we will be going to this year to look at possible houses to buy are not the mega-cities where traffic is INSANE and having our own wheels sure would make it easier to get around and see exactly what we want, when we want. When I discovered this about Hainan I told Laopo and she said, sure and you can rent a car in GZ also...DRIVING IN GUANGZHOU... :vava:?;) Ain't gonna' happen.

So has anyone here actually rented a car in China? Any tips, warnings or horror stories would be appreciated... :D

201232[/snapback]

If you can drive in China, then you can drive in the U.S. Not the other way around, unless you are a road warrior :boxertwo:

Edited by Stone (see edit history)

And here I thought I was in the presence of a bunch of tough dudes. Guys who thought nothing of falling in love with a woman from half way around the world and then going into a COMMUNIST COUNTRY to go get 'er... :blink: And now you've all turned into girlie men over driving in China... :D I learned to drive on the mean streets of Chicago where no quarter was expected or given. Where the slow and the indecisive where left to gnash their teeth and beat their heads on the wheel at the side of the road... :o And I HIT THE GAS... :P HAHAHAHAHA

But seriously... :D I've been driven around all over China in taxis and private cars and folks...THEY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING I DON'T KNOW AND THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING I CAN'T DO... :D

So if nobody else has been dumb enough to try it let me be the first... :) To go where no American man has gone before...Ah the glory... :boxer:

I discovered recently that it is possible to rent a car in China using an international driver's license, which is readily available through services here. Some of the areas we will be going to this year to look at possible houses to buy are not the mega-cities where traffic is INSANE and having our own wheels sure would make it easier to get around and see exactly what we want, when we want. When I discovered this about Hainan I told Laopo and she said, sure and you can rent a car in GZ also...DRIVING IN GUANGZHOU... :D?:blink: Ain't gonna' happen.

So has anyone here actually rented a car in China? Any tips, warnings or horror stories would be appreciated... :boxer:

201232[/snapback]

If you can drive in China, then you can drive in the U.S. Not the other way around, unless you are a road warrior :boxertwo:

201240[/snapback]

I would rather rent a moped. :D

And here I thought I was in the presence of a bunch of tough dudes. Guys who thought nothing of falling in love with a woman from half way around the world and then going into a COMMUNIST COUNTRY to go get 'er... :angry: And now you've all turned into girlie men over driving in China... :ph34r: I learned to drive on the mean streets of Chicago where no quarter was expected or given. Where the slow and the indecisive where left to gnash their teeth and beat their heads on the wheel at the side of the road... :o And I HIT THE GAS... :P HAHAHAHAHA

But seriously... :huh: I've been driven around all over China in taxis and private cars and folks...THEY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING I DON'T KNOW AND THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING I CAN'T DO... :D

So if nobody else has been dumb enough to try it let me be the first... :) To go where no American man has gone before...Ah the glory... :draw:

201267[/snapback]

Pretty funny, Roger!! But, honestly, I've read that if a westerner is involved in any type of traffic accident, regardless of fault, you'll be paying out the wazzoo.

I discovered recently that it is possible to rent a car in China using an international driver's license, which is readily available through services here. Some of the areas we will be going to this year to look at possible houses to buy are not the mega-cities where traffic is INSANE and having our own wheels sure would make it easier to get around and see exactly what we want, when we want. When I discovered this about Hainan I told Laopo and she said, sure and you can rent a car in GZ also...DRIVING IN GUANGZHOU... :draw:?:huh: Ain't gonna' happen.

So has anyone here actually rented a car in China? Any tips, warnings or horror stories would be appreciated... :P

201232[/snapback]

201240[/snapback]

I would rather rent a moped. :P

201283[/snapback]

A MOPED... :o :) :D Ew then you'd really be dead meat... :ph34r:

I'd rather be drawn and quartered... :angry:

Guest ShaQuaNew
And here I thought I was in the presence of a bunch of tough dudes. Guys who thought nothing of falling in love with a woman from half way around the world and then going into a COMMUNIST COUNTRY to go get 'er... :draw: And now you've all turned into girlie men over driving in China... :angry: I learned to drive on the mean streets of Chicago where no quarter was expected or given. Where the slow and the indecisive where left to gnash their teeth and beat their heads on the wheel at the side of the road... :) And I HIT THE GAS... :P HAHAHAHAHA

But seriously... :o I've been driven around all over China in taxis and private cars and folks...THEY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING I DON'T KNOW AND THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING I CAN'T DO... :P

So if nobody else has been dumb enough to try it let me be the first... :D To go where no American man has gone before...Ah the glory... :huh:

201267[/snapback]

Pretty funny, Roger!! But, honestly, I've read that if a westerner is involved in any type of traffic accident, regardless of fault, you'll be paying out the wazzoo.

201284[/snapback]

http://www.fakecrap.com/products/bub_l_breezer.html :ph34r:

And here I thought I was in the presence of a bunch of tough dudes. Guys who thought nothing of falling in love with a woman from half way around the world and then going into a COMMUNIST COUNTRY to go get 'er... :angry: And now you've all turned into girlie men over driving in China... :ph34r: I learned to drive on the mean streets of Chicago where no quarter was expected or given. Where the slow and the indecisive where left to gnash their teeth and beat their heads on the wheel at the side of the road... :) And I HIT THE GAS... :P HAHAHAHAHA

But seriously... :o I've been driven around all over China in taxis and private cars and folks...THEY DON'T KNOW ANYTHING I DON'T KNOW AND THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING I CAN'T DO... :P

So if nobody else has been dumb enough to try it let me be the first... :D To go where no American man has gone before...Ah the glory... :draw:

201267[/snapback]

201284[/snapback]

I've heard the same thing Dennis...But won't State Farm cover me... :huh:

I discovered recently that it is possible to rent a car in China using an international driver's license, which is readily available through services here. Some of the areas we will be going to this year to look at possible houses to buy are not the mega-cities where traffic is INSANE and having our own wheels sure would make it easier to get around and see exactly what we want, when we want. When I discovered this about Hainan I told Laopo and she said, sure and you can rent a car in GZ also...DRIVING IN GUANGZHOU... :huh:?:o Ain't gonna' happen.

So has anyone here actually rented a car in China? Any tips, warnings or horror stories would be appreciated... :P

201232[/snapback]

201240[/snapback]

I would rather rent a moped. :P

201283[/snapback]

A MOPED... :) :D :P Ew then you'd really be dead meat... :ph34r:

I'd rather be drawn and quartered... :draw:

201288[/snapback]

Kinky :angry:

Why drive when you can hire a driver for so cheap. :o  :blink:

201321[/snapback]

It's for the excitement... :blink: The adventure... :o It's the American Way to do it yourself... :D And I want to go from point a to b to c to d, not point a and around and around and back to point a... :huh: