Countdown for AOS

Ok, so here we go. On April 13, Jen and I will make our way to Fresno for the interview to get here green card. Although we have both been waiting for this, it just doesn't rise to the same level of excitement as the visa interview in GZ mounted. Probably in part to the fact that she is here so my days aren't filled with waiting for our reunion. Also, having been though so much, preparing just doesn't lead to the same level of panic as before.

That being said, one question has been raised. In looking for a translator, the first person who comes to mind would be Jen's cousin. Now I thought I had read that family members are not allowed to translate, but, when I asked USCIS on the phone, the guy couldn't say for sure if this would apply to Jen's cousin. Has anyone else faced this? This also could possibly lead to a scond question in that if the cousin can not translate, is there anyone available to perform translation duties on that day?

We don't anticipate problems and Jen wants to answer as much as she can in English, but I just want to make sure we are covered.

I am soooo looking forward to getting this paper chase behind us, at least for a little while.

Good luck at the interview.

Most of the USCIS local office websites that address interpreters say the interpreter should be an impartial or disinterested third party. Fresno's website does not provide any guidance, but San Franciso's is typical of most: http://uscis.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/sanfran/aboutus.htm

"...If you do not speak English, you must bring a disinterested third party interpreter to the interview. "

I would think this rules out most family members. Unfortunately, I don't know if a cousin would fit that category, but my gut tells me that the IO could raise a question if this relationship were known.