Using 3rd party to do K-1 paperwork?

I cannot judge what is the best path. We elected to do the whole thing ourselves from I-129F to P4.

The primary reason for doing this was that both of us would know exactly what was on the forms, why it was on the forms.

At each step in the process I would review the information required, send her a email about data required, we would review, clarifly data to be gathered and gathered data via email and phone. Then, I would create the draft forms in pdf, print and mail to her. We would then review line by line over the phone. I would then create the final draft and mail to her for a final review.

This was pretty straight forward for the I-129F and G325A, I was doing all the form submitting. We did the same for P3/P4 pdf forms that we had to submit, but I would mail her a annoated copy as guide to what to do, plus the forms to be completed and submitted

The variation for the P3/P4 handwritten forms is that I mailed her semi-completed versions of the handwritten forms, GIV, GNI, etc. After she had any data required, we worked togther line by line to complete the final forms.

This worked very well for us, If your SO has computer and printer at home, this process could be streamlined. Ying went to internet cafe for email.

Again the benefit - The information was accurate, we both knew what was on the forms and why, the information was consistent ( I have lost count of how many times we were asked same information where/when worked/lived , etc

No one will take better care of you than yourself. Delegating the work of a task does delegate the responsibility for that task being acceptably completed

There is alot of waiting time in this process, this helped fill some of it

Edited by ed and ying (see edit history)
Curious to know what others members think about using a third party living in China, (not an attorney) to complete K-1 paperwork?

198935[/snapback]

The K1 paper work is not that hard that you will need a lawyer for it.

There is no court process. Just pieces of paper to fill out, and documentation to collect. You can easily do all that yourself, and the result will be about the same, just as long as you read and follow the directions.

Anecdotally, it seems that using a trusted service poses little risk, but picking a tout off the streets is fraught with danger, and the potential for scamming goes way up.

Some people feel more comfortable with having a reputable service look over their shoulders just to make sure every looks right, and the experience of the individual service provider may be helpful in assembling the paperwork and explaining what and why something is needed.

Jingwen and I did not use a service for the P3/P4 paperwork, but we did have a translator present so that I could explain portions of the applications. She filled out the information in her own handwriting.

I cannot judge what is the best path. We elected to do the whole thing ourselves from I-129F to P4.

The primary reason for doing this was that both of us would know exactly what was on the forms, why it was on the forms.

At each step in the process I would review the information required, send her a email about data required, we would review, clarifly data to be gathered and gathered data via email and phone.  Then, I would create the draft forms in pdf, print and mail to her. We would then review line by line over the phone. I would then create the final draft and mail to her for a final review.

This was pretty straight forward for the I-129F and G325A, I was doing all the form submitting. We did the same for P3/P4 pdf forms that we had to submit, but I would mail her a annoated copy as guide to what to do, plus the forms to be completed and submitted

The variation for the P3/P4 handwritten forms is that I mailed her semi-completed versions of the handwritten forms, GIV, GNI, etc.  After she had any data required, we worked togther line by line to complete the final forms.

This worked very well for us, If your SO has computer and printer at home, this process could be streamlined. Ying went to internet cafe for email.

Again the benefit - The information was accurate, we both knew what was on the forms and why, the information was consistent ( I have lost count of how many times we were asked same information where/when worked/lived , etc

No one will take better care of you than yourself. Delegating the work of a task does delegate the responsibility for that task being acceptably completed

There is alot of waiting time in this process, this helped fill some of it

199089[/snapback]

Excellent post Ed, word for word, this was exactly our line of thinking and exactly what we did, and I dont think it could have gone any better than it did !

Guest ShaQuaNew
We did and he did ok except 1 small error in spelling. He was a friend of my SO's. I checked his work during my second visit and fixed it before filing the P-3.

I would do it myself if given a second chance...

199558[/snapback]

I was fortunate enough to have met someone who was in the midst of finishing the visa process when I was just beginning. It was from him that I learned about this site and some other good reading material (Marriage and Fiance Visas).

Many, if not most that consider a visa after a visit to China have NO idea whatsoever what it takes to get started, so conversely can easily be swept into considering hiring someone to help. While the laws surrounding immigration can be quite complex, there is really nothing too complicated for the average person to complete.

Most of the forms are straight-forward, and for those areas that are confusing, this site has enough experienced members that can help walk you through. I personally prefer doing it myself because I can be certain of what was written, and when it was sent. Additionally, there is no concern of the personal information being lost or disseminated against my will....

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
We did and he did ok except 1 small error in spelling. He was a friend of my SO's. I checked his work during my second visit and fixed it before filing the P-3.

I would do it myself if given a second chance...

199558[/snapback]

I was fortunate enough to have met someone who was in the midst of finishing the visa process when I was just beginning. It was from him that I learned about this site and some other good reading material (Marriage and Fiance Visas).

Many, if not most that consider a visa after a visit to China have NO idea whatsoever what it takes to get started, so conversely can easily be swept into considering hiring someone to help. While the laws surrounding immigration can be quite complex, there is really nothing too complicated for the average person to complete.

Most of the forms are straight-forward, and for those areas that are confusing, this site has enough experienced members that can help walk you through. I personally prefer doing it myself because I can be certain of what was written, and when it was sent. Additionally, there is no concern of the personal information being lost or disseminated against my will....

199561[/snapback]

I can't help wonder if we would have done everything ourselves, with nobody having knowledge of what we were doing, we would not have had that denial in the first place.

I know all has worked out for us... but I just wonder...

The advantage I see is that the service is there helping the SO in person. I am finding the mail service and transfer of documents back and forth from USA to China is a pain in the you know what. Also, waiting for emails is a drag if your SO does not have a computer. I would think having someone there who knows the process and can speak her language would be worth every penny, although I have not decided to go that route yet. I think you have to consider the SO and how much computer knowledge she has and how familiar she is with government bureauocracy. Mine has neither advantage. I'm leaning toward getting her some help. I'll keep reading your comments.