need the official document?

i just went back from the China Embassy in San Francisco. my purpose was going there and make a notation in the passport indicationg the married name and the the maiden name.

the lady there refused to do this for me due to my AOS is pending, even though i brought the marriage certif., SSC, and letters from USCIS. she said i do not have an official document to prove my name changed. Either i can get that document from the court or i have to wait until my green card gets approve and show the new name on it. then they can do it for me. Moreover, i told her that i filled out my AOS and EAD forms used my married name, she said i put myself in a trouble because the different name might cause some problems during the interview.

So, my question is:

i am going to have the Biometrics on March 30th. and my passport only shows the maiden name, will that cause any problem due to the different name i use? and the time when you have the AOS interview?!

or i have to do what the lady says to get a name changed official document?

Pleas reply me if you have any exprience. BIG thanks!!

Ps: i do not change my first name, i keep my first name, and move my original family name as the middle name, and add my husband family name as mine. anyone has the same situation as my who had the Biometrics and AOS interview before? cause any problems??

i heard from one friend said they wont let you do the Biometrics if the name is different. is that ture?

What's the name on your appointment letter?

198686[/snapback]

What's the name on your appointment letter?

198686[/snapback]

the name on the appointment letter shows as:LINGLI,JAMES

LINGLI is my first name, which is the same as my passort first name.

JAMES is my husband family name,which i added it as my family name.

so, the passort shows my name as: SU, LINGLI

SU is my family shows on the passort.

all the letter from USCIS shows as: LINGLI, JAMES

1st name M.name Last name

when i filled out the form i put: LINGLI SU JAMES

cause problems?

The USCIS has accepted your name change as part of the AOS application and you won't have any problems with the biometrics. We did the exact same thing.

198713[/snapback]

really?your wife also added your family name as hers and keep her original fist name? you were not refused to do with the biometrics.then how ahout the AOS interview? i am sorry to keep on asking the same thing.

Oh, my god... so complex...

The USCIS has accepted your name change as part of the AOS application and you won't have any problems with the biometrics. We did the exact same thing.

198713[/snapback]

really?your wife also added your family name as hers and keep her original fist name? you were not refused to do with the biometrics.then how ahout the AOS interview? i am sorry to keep on asking the same thing.

198717[/snapback]

The interview then should be no problem as long

as you do not forget the marriage license. :toot:

We did the oppisite and kept my wife's Chinese name.

She's Cantonese so all of her government douments

have her name in Mandarin, so I guess she is used to it.

I do have one concern with her Chinese passport.

It will expire in 2008 and I was wondering if she will

get it back (the old one) after having it renewed at the SF consulate.

Im not sure how that process goes.

Edited by pkfops (see edit history)

198713[/snapback]

198717[/snapback]

My wife added my family name as her family name and kept her father's family name as her middle name.

A name change after marriage is very common in the US, it is usually a matter of requesting a name change on your SSN and other identification cards. We had my wife's name changed both at Social Security which is the normal method of changing your name after marriage. What if my name changed?

You did this when you submitted your I-485 and the USCIS acknowledged this legal name change when they sent you your receipt letter.

Everything is fine and you should have no problems with your AOS concerning your new name.

I am a bit surprised that the Chinese Consulate is saying they require the green card, but many have changed their name when married and have not had difficulties using their Chinese passport without issue.

The lady at the consulate is WRONG about placing yourself in trouble, she is obviously not familiar with US laws or customs and the US government through the USCIS and US Postal service have both acknowledged your name change in the form of the letters they mailed to you.

198713[/snapback]

198717[/snapback]

The interview then should be no problem as long

as you do not forget the marriage license. :unsure:

We did the oppisite and kept my wife's Chinese name.

She's Cantonese so all of her government douments

have her name in Mandarin, so I guess she is used to it.

I do have one concern with her Chinese passport.

It will expire in 2008 and I was wondering if she will

get it back (the old one) after having it renewed at the SF consulate.

Im not sure how that process goes.

198744[/snapback]

The common practice is to return the expired passport along with the new one. The old one is usually marked in some method to identify it is now voided, but the history contained in the passport is retained.