Visa for parents- Fianicials from us????

We are in process of submitting tourist visa applications for Mama and Baba. My Chinese Wife keeps getting info from 001.com where posters are saying WE need to submit fianicial records for THEM to come here. At least one of them is promoting an I-134 as required???

I have read numerous posts here and the USCON site for Shanghai and I do NOT see any such requirement (there is a statement about the US based person(s) making assurances BUT VO has discretion as to using such).

I have written a letter of invitation and stated that I will provide for ALL costs including airfare, lodging, meals, amusement, unexpected but unlikely medical and incidental expenses despite them having savings- I wish to re-pay them for what they have done for us while I was there for a year AND taking care of our daughter while waiting on the visa (about 8 months now). Likewise they have a copy of one of our CD acc'ts of $35,000+ to back it up.

QUESTION: For those of you that HAVE been sucessful on a tourist visa, DID YOU PROVIDE any type of fianicial documentation as is been promoted elsewhere???

Thanks, Richard

B2 visas are very difficlut to get. Common wisdom says that you will stand a better chance if you do indeed submit an I-134 with your application. However, this is NOT a requirement. Then again the I-134 is NOT a requirement with a K1-K3 visa either--but i'm guessin it would be tough to get one without it.

You can't provide an I-134 for them because A. they are not immigrating and B. the petition is theirs not yours. It does help to send a letter such as your wrote but the most important thing is to provide as much evidence as you can for ties to China that will convince the VO they will go back. Things like savings of their own, owning a home, grandchildren, carreeretc. The VO wants to be assured they have sufficient ties to China that they will return.

You can't provide an I-134 for them because A. they are not immigrating and B. the petition is theirs not yours.?It does help to send a letter such as your wrote but the most important thing is to provide as much evidence as you can for ties to China that will convince the VO they will go back.?Things like savings of their own, owning a home, grandchildren, carreeretc.?The VO wants to be assured they have sufficient ties to China that they will return.

195945[/snapback]

Carl, I have the same thoughts about the I-134 issue. There is some insistence that it is required for a "tourist" visa on the other site- I might be doing some rumor and/or fear control on this post- in addition to being in CYA mode.

Actually I sent two single page letters as follows:

-----------

Formal letter of invitation to visit us.

February 25, 2006

To: Mr. Xx and Mrs.Xx

3301 East

Pxxxxxx, NV 89xxx

Dear Baba and Mama,

We, your son-in-law and your daughter, wish to invite you to visit us in our home in the US for 1-2 months. We would like to show you our home here and also take you to some of the sites that you showed me in YOUR guide book the first time I met you. This would be Las Vegas, Red Rock Canyon and Boulder Dam. I think you would enjoy Valley of Fire State Park near here also.

Additional I would like to take you to see San Diego with it’s zoo, museums and maybe Sea World. Later, we would visit the California Coast and the San Francisco Bay area. This would also allow you to visit with my daughter and grandsons in Stockton, Ca.

As you treated me so well during the year that I lived in Shanghai and never allowed me to pay for dinners or buy you gifts I insist that I pay ALL expenses for this trip. That would include round trip airfare, lodging, meals, amusements and any other incidental expenses.

As you know of the weather here I would like to see you come during the spring (March to May or so) before it gets so hot.

Respectfully, your American son and Daughter

(Same text written in Chinese also.)

Richard Xxxx Hx, Xxxxxx

OPEN LETTER TO THE U.S. CONSULATE in Shanghai, China

3301 XXXXXX

PXXXXX, NV 89xxx

February 25, 2006

Re: Tourist visa applications for Mr. Xx, Cxxxxx and Mrs. Xx, Xxxxxxxx

I had lived in Shanghai, China for almost a full year in close proximity to my above named parent-in-laws. I was in contact with them almost daily. I can state without any reservations that they Definitely and UNEQUIVOCALLY have NO desire to immigrate to the United States. I therefore request that they be issued short duration tourist visas to come visit us at our home here.

I wish that they come to visit us to see our home and the surrounding areas. As they are presently both 71 years old but in relatively good health it is a great time for them to see it for themselves. Mama sometimes worries about her daughter and her new life/home here. It would be a great opportunity to put her concerns to rest. Mama was a hard sell on this idea as she fears flying. They have also expressed interest in meeting my other children and grandchildren.

They have done in-numerous good things for me while I lived there- almost daily. They would not allow me to pay for dinners (often they said “When you are in China you are our guest so WE pay.?, cooked special Chinese foods for me and did not expect any gifts or other re-payment in return- they actually treated me better than my own father. I feel that this is the least I can do for them. They have also taking care of our daughter refusing ANY compensation for over seven months as she is awaiting a CR-2 visa to come here

They are quite happy and comfortable with living in their homeland of China. They have a number of retirement pensions as income in China, they own their own residence in Shanghai in addition to being the owner or co-owners of an apartment in WuXi that my wife’s sister lives in. They also have savings here. Additional Mr. Xx despite being over seventy-one years old still works at times as a consultant. Both of them have outside social contacts and associations that they wish to maintain.

Family wise they also have two other daughters, son-in-laws and grand-daughters that still live in Shanghai and WuXi.

Both of them have traveled China VERY extensively and Mr. Xx has even been to Germany sometime in the past. We wanted to accompany them on a 15 day trip through Central China last year but we were waiting for my wife’s CR-1 interview date from Guangzhou.

I personally will pay for ALL of their expenses to visit us here. This would include air fare, lodging, meals, amusement and incidental expenses. I would also cover any unexpected medical expenses should this become necessary. We do have $35,000+ in a CD account (Copy attached).

We have also written them a formal letter of invitation which is attached.

Thank You! In advance, RichardXxxxxxxxxx/ Hx, Xxxxxxxx

195948[/snapback]

Richard:

When I worked in China, one of my Chinese co-workers wanted to come to the US to see his wife, who was an exchange scholar at the time. My co-worker had a pretty good job in China and was a department manager at the time. Both he and his wife hold PhD degrees from Chinese institutions. The Company where we worked actually wrote a Letter of Guaranty (with Company letterhead and phone numbers) taking full responsibility that he would return to China. That was a strong Guaranty from a reputable firm. The guy got his tourist visa, and then after a couple of months of sight-seeing in the U.S., returned to China together with his wife.

That Letter of Guaranty may have some relevance.

• 3 months later...

Update:

A cake walk for the both of them. Submitted B-2 online to Shanghai Cons in late March, sucessful interview in April. Interviewer liked the above letters and got a chuckle out of something on one of them. NO I-134 submitted as 001 members were pushing. Both got 1 year multiple entries visa. Have since come to US and then returned home.

Re: Skibums prior comments, they WERE asked if they had other children remaining in CN- they do- based on the timing and way it was asked- her parents seem to think this issue could have resulted in a possible denial otherwise

Edited by Chinese Wife!!! (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Regarding sending the I-134, or not, please continue to discuss how you would (or did) meet this requirement from the GUZ non-immigrant visa section for a B-2 visa.

"Tourists (B2) applicants should provide evidence of their ability to financially support themselves during their stay (or of the inviter's ability to support the applicant). If visiting relatives, bring proof of the relationship. "

How did you do this if you chose not to use an I-134. How did you provide proof of relationship?