Anyone doing an online business?

Hi,

I have talked to Loving Candle much about joining my online business for a source of income for her when she arrives. If it turns out it is not for her, then that will be ok also.

Is anyone else earning money from the Internet? I am an eBay seller (Red Star) with 100% positive feedback.

-James

Its funny you mention this, I actually met someone about a week ago who married a Flip gal. Anyways, she actually makes very good money (in the 40s) selling statues, art and other trinkets that he imports from her home country (I guess Philipino Americans are very prideful and traditional so they have no qualms about paying high prices for stuff related to their culture.) I don't know any of the details on her business but I have my doubts on the validity of it, concerning the source. The guy seemed a little shady.

Hi,

I am developing a couple more aspects of the business to let us move more freely between the USA and China in retirement. It also seems a 'natural' thing for a Chinese/American couple to do import / export and then sell the products online so as to not incur the overhead of a brick-and-mortar enterprise. If any of you want to try this, eBay can be a good way to get your feet wet and have a potential sales base of over 16 million customers. You can do this part-time (like me) while getting ready for a full time effort in retirement.

-James

This is something I am seriously considering.  I guess that finding some suitable products is the key.

196035[/snapback]

Besides picking the right products, there must be issues related to customs regulations, tariffs, and the risk of on-line trading, warranties, legal matters?

Guest ShaQuaNew
This is something I am seriously considering.  I guess that finding some suitable products is the key.

196035[/snapback]

It seems that about every member I have meet has this same thought (including us).. and a few actual do some sort of import and/or selling of items..

196067[/snapback]

Finding something that moves quickly and sells at a profit. I've heard of a few success stories for those that are diligent. It's hard work keeping up with what's going on online, packing, sorting, and figuring legit buyers from the cheats.

196035[/snapback]

Besides picking the right products, there must be issues related to customs regulations, tariffs, and the risk of on-line trading, warranties, legal matters?

196064[/snapback]

Yes, but these are not so complex. I import shell, ebony and water buffalo horn products from the Philippines currently. An import license is not expensive and the customs issues are not bad either. My warranty is 100% customer satisfaction or your money back. The risk of online trading is minimal with good research and the RIGHT payment service. I use PayPal exclusively so all of the really hairy issues like handling customer credit cards falls on them. They just put money in my PayPal account.

-James

196035[/snapback]

It seems that about every member I have meet has this same thought (including us).. and a few actual do some sort of import and/or selling of items..

196067[/snapback]

Finding something that moves quickly and sells at a profit. I've heard of a few success stories for those that are diligent. It's hard work keeping up with what's going on online, packing, sorting, and figuring legit buyers from the cheats.

196069[/snapback]

Hi,

Moves quickly is not a requirement if the profit is good enough and the inventory requirements are not large. I have one box of pieces of very special ebony that I bought for 3 cents each and I sell for $6.99 (for 6 pieces) plus $5.00 shipping. I use the free priority mail box and I just break even on the shipping. In most other cases I make 40% - 60% profit on very small quantities (I am in effect a retailer) and I charge $4.00 shipping making about $3.00 per envelope profit on the shipping

-James

Guest ShaQuaNew
Moves quickly is not a requirement if the profit is good enough and the inventory requirements are not large.  I have one box of pieces of very special ebony that I bought for 3 cents each and I sell for $6.99 (for 6 pieces) plus $5.00 shipping.  I use the free priority mail box and I just break even on the shipping.  In most other cases I make 40% - 60% profit on very small quantities (I am in effect a retailer) and I charge $4.00 shipping making about $3.00 per envelope profit on the shipping

-James

196080[/snapback]

Good luck in your venture.... :)

196035[/snapback]

Hi Joanne,

Yes, you DEFINITELY want to sell something that you personally know well. The most successful small retailers (IMHO) are people who have a hobby and they supply other hobbyists. In my case I do this and all of my power tools, computers and software are business expenses. There is much benefit in having a small business at home. As long as you are home-based you cannot go out of business. Since you are not paying rent on a brick-and-mortar store, you just do the volume you can handle in any given month.

Some young mothers like yourself earn a reasonable second income on eBay simply by going to yard sales and buying things that they personally know collectors will want. Vinyl records (both albums and singles) are a good example. If you are at all artistic look at the 'Teddy Bear Artist' category on ebay. Hand made and designed teddy bears go for REALLY big bucks.

-James

We find EBAY not too good, except for peddling lower end products.  sadly, the consumer trust (and high fees) seem to warn away people purchasing at the higher end of the spectrum.  But it is good for building an initial clientel base!

196200[/snapback]

Hi,

Yes most of my products are under $100, many of them $25 and less. And I do agree that a regular website is better for more expensive items.

I have stopped running auctions since they starting indexing the eBay stores and my products turn up in searches. I want to open a 'Pro Store' when I have some help.

Still, like you said, it has helped me build credibility and a presence. MANY people in my industry know me and respect my business, small scale as it is now.

-James

I had a chinese girlfriend a few years ago that would have her sister in China send her a large box of chinese knickknacks, dresses, bracelets and things like that. My gf and her other sister that also lived here in U.S would go to the local flea market to sell these things during the weekends. They would average about $200-$300 per day.