My husband's interview is secheduled on march 27, 2006. I am thinking filing the tax return before that. Then it pops up some questions. If I file married jointly, then I should add my husband's income in the tax return. In fact, he left USA back to China at the end of 2004. Since he has been waiting for this interview , he did not try to find a formal job. But he opened a small entertainment center of Billiards by himself some time last year. And this center still loses money for the time being. So can it cause visa problems if the tax return shows my husband has no income?

We have a 1.5 years old son. Now he lives with me now. (He lived in China with his father for a while last year) So which tax filing status is better for this interview, head of household or married jointly? Any suggestion is welcome.

Guest pushbrk
My husband's interview is secheduled on march 27, 2006. I am thinking filing the tax return before that. Then it pops up some questions. If I file married jointly, then I should add my husband's income in the tax return. In fact, he left USA back to China at the end of 2004. Since he has been waiting for this interview , he did not try to find a formal job. But he opened a small entertainment center of Billiards by himself some time last year. And this center still loses money for the time being. So can it cause visa problems if the tax return shows my husband has no income?

We have a 1.5 years old son. Now he lives with me now. (He lived in China with his father for a while last year) So which tax filing status is better for  this interview, head of household or married jointly? Any suggestion is welcome.

194971[/snapback]

With a March 27 interview, the 2005 taxes will not be required. Given your situation, it sounds to me like it would be much simpler not to provide it. You might want to provide copies of your 2005 W2 forms.

We have a 1.5 years old son. Now he lives with me now. (He lived in China with his father for a while last year) So which tax filing status is better for  this interview, head of household or married jointly? Any suggestion is welcome.

194971[/snapback]

With a March 27 interview, the 2005 taxes will not be required. Given your situation, it sounds to me like it would be much simpler not to provide it. You might want to provide copies of your 2005 W2 forms.

194973[/snapback]

I would not take a bet on that one. Tax filing receipts for the previous year(before the April 15th filing date) have been ask for with similar interview dates.

194971[/snapback]

194973[/snapback]

I would not take a bet on that one. Tax filing receipts for the previous year(before the April 15th filing date) have been ask for with similar interview dates.

194977[/snapback]

Yup, a few years ago they were asking March interviewees for that years tax material. Rare but possible!

Guest pushbrk

We have a 1.5 years old son. Now he lives with me now. (He lived in China with his father for a while last year) So which tax filing status is better for?this interview, head of household or married jointly? Any suggestion is welcome.

194971[/snapback]

194973[/snapback]

194977[/snapback]

I would hedge my bet by providing the W2 forms. It's a public charge issue, not a "Have you filed your taxes properly?" issue. If you've got the core issue covered, there is little risk of a problem. Little is not zero. :blink:

Guest ShaQuaNew

194971[/snapback]

194973[/snapback]

194977[/snapback]

Yup, a few years ago they were asking March interviewees for that years tax material. Rare but possible!

194980[/snapback]

Best to be prepared. Seems if you don't have it, it gets requested. If you do, they don't want it.... :huh:

You can always ask if they're interested in viewing your slideshow..... :P Just kidding of course for you serious-minded folk... :blink:

The first thing is has he been included on taxes since you have been married?

If not you should consider ammending prior returns and changing to married filing jointly for the tax break.

If you have not filed jointly before there is no requirement as he was not in the US in 2005.

The concern is that you tell GZ one thing and your taxes show another, things need to be consistent for the interview. Ammendments to your tax return after he is here are another story.

Edited by LeeFisher3 (see edit history)

If not you should consider ammending prior returns and changing to married filing jointly for the tax break.

If you have not filed jointly before there is no requirement as he was not in the US in 2005.

The concern is that you tell GZ one thing and your taxes show another, things need to be consistent for the interview. Ammendments to your tax return after he is here are another story.

195117[/snapback]

I filed mariied jointly on my 2004 tax return since he was in USA during most time of 2004.

I have decided to file married jointly for 2005 after considering your guys' suggestion.

Thanks.

195117[/snapback]

I filed mariied jointly on my 2004 tax return since he was in USA during most time of 2004.

I have decided to file married jointly for 2005 after considering your guys' suggestion.

Thanks.

195155[/snapback]

Excellent decision. Make sure he gets copies of the taxes for the interview just in case.

Best of Luck!