Next Travel Topic

Does everyone convert all of their USD to RMB at the airport/bank once you arrive or just convert a little here and there as needed?

196291[/snapback]

I primarly convert all I think I will need+, especially if I go deep into China where even credit cards will not rent you a room and the phones won't hardly call out of the city. Also you may play host to a bog dinner or something, so I load up on RMB. Walk down the street and you feel like a Elvis or someone popular in some of those cities. Seems some places they seldom if ever see a big anglo.

However I have found banks anywhere can convert the cash. I used to keep 1K US on me, I am not sure why. I really never needed it. Although once in a small town I had a friend return a favor because I allowed them to exchange/have some US cash wich suposedly was illegal back then, years ago.

Now married I am casual, as I have a China connection if something goes weird.

Guest pushbrk
Primary Credit Card for the hotel bill.

$100 per day for general expenses.

Emergency cash in money belt to cover

entire cost of trip. (getting home is very important)

Backup credit card and AmExpress card in shoe under

gel pad insert.

Also don't forget two sets of photo copies of airtickets,

passport/visa, credit cards and hotel reservations. One copy

carried on your person and one in your bag(luggage tags inside and out)

along with a copy of your itinerary. :(

196203[/snapback]

Does everyone convert all of their USD to RMB at the airport/bank once you arrive or just convert a little here and there as needed?

196291[/snapback]

My personal preference is take a little more US currency than I think I'll need for the stateside travel expenses. Otherwise, I don't physically take any currency to a money changer. I simply withdraw RMB from the ATM using my debit card. If you know you'll have expenses that will exceed your daily withdrawal limit from the ATM, you'll need to take the cash to cover those expenses and exchange it as needed.

If your cash (RMB or dollars) is stolen, it's gone. My ATM card is not stored with my cash and I never have all the cash for the trip on my person. I use the ATM.

Before go I always stuff my two front pockets with lots of American CASH when on a business trip!  I always take a few thousand so I have enough for the entire trip, incase cards don't work.  I exchange most on arival and do the front pockets thing.  I just don't like getting stuck, and cash talks.  Wallet in one front pocket and strait cash inside the Visa in the other.  This way they cannot pick my pocket so easy in a subway or anything, not that I expect that.

I use the credit cards wherever possible because the exchange rate is better, as long as it is a cc that does not charge a fee.  When I leave for home I just leave the excess cash with wife.  I don't like travelers checks, cash talks.  Probably your bigger than them anyway, so why the travelers checks? :D

Last trip was 100% time with her so I did not take so much cash, as we just stayed at her place.  My wife gets on my case about carrying so much money and creedit cards.  I followed her advice once and then I had to get cash at an ATM, so I went back to my old ways and told her this is the way it is.  I don't live my life worrying about a thief I guess.

195877[/snapback]

I too carry CASH....Cash always has the upper hand,and I don't have to deal with worrying about ATM fees and exchange rates....Protecting the cash?.....Along with being well versed in self defense and awareness(no attitude intended or displayed),passport and cash goes in a money belt strapped around my waist.A C note a day is WAY more than enough.Save the credit card for emergency.

The CC is only good in an emergency.

It will never get you the 3-star hotel room for 50-100rmb a night, which you can do with cash, and still live a good life.

It is cash which allows you to haggle over old silver that someone needs to sell, and will make an amazing gift for a friend back at home, or elsewhere in China.

Remember, China is a country of much extremes, there is everything from extreme poverty (100RMB a day is a rich person who can do almost anything in parts of Yunnan or Guizhou) to extreme wealth (100RMB a day can barely buy you a rotten cot to sleep on in Shanghai). It is a culture where business men and women regularly transport around large sums of cash (an old business person I know regularly carries 30-40 Wan RMB a day back and forth between branches of his business), and where almost all deals are in Cash (if you want to buy that house/farm/business/jewelery/etc. you will get a better price, and have a higher chance of securing your item if you come with CASH IN HAND.

Good Luck and happy travels!