SS Card and Medical/Vaccinations

Hi! I'm new to the forum and I have a question. My wife came over on a K1 visa in October. We were married in November, but missed the deadline to get a SSN. She doesn't have an I94 because of her visa status (K1), so they can't give her an SSN. How do we go about getting her an I94 at this late stage?

Question 2: we were told she needed to get shots and a medical exam before her appointment, but we were not sent any forms or instructions on how to do that. Can someone fill us in on this process?

Thanks a lot!

My name is Adam by the way :angry:

Hi!  I'm new to the forum and I have a question.  My wife came over on a K1 visa in October.  We were married in November, but missed the deadline to get a SSN.  She doesn't have an I94 because of her visa status (K1), so they can't give her an SSN.  How do we go about getting her an I94 at this late stage?

Question 2:  we were told she needed to get shots and a medical exam before her appointment, but we were not sent any forms or instructions on how to do that.  Can someone fill us in on this process?

Thanks a lot!

My name is Adam by the way :angry:

193949[/snapback]

Welcome to CFL Adam. I'm going to move your post down to the AOS and Immigration Chalenges Forum section where it will get a bit more exposure.

Since your wife did not get her SSN when first entering the US, she has essentially two choices. First, she can apply for an EAD (Employment Authorization Document or work card). When she gets the EAD, she can then apply for the social security card. Second, she can wait until she receives her green card after which she can apply for a social security card.

On the question of medical exams and vaccination supplements, a new medical exam is not needed provided the one she got in China as part of the visa process is less than a year old when you file for adjustment of status. Here is a link that discusses this: http://uscis.gov/graphics/i-693faq.htm

"...Ks: If you were admitted to the United States as a fiance(e) (K-1), child of a fiance(e) (K-2), Spouse of a U.S. citizen (K-3), or child of K-3 (K-4), and received a medical examination prior to admission, then you do not require another medical examination as long as your application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. You will, however, be required to submit a vaccination supplement with our adjustment of status application. The vaccination supplement must be completed by a designated civil surgeon."

She will need a vaccination supplement (I-693) which is completed by a civil surgeon. As to which vaccinations she will need, take a look at: http://uscis.gov/graphics/generalvac.pdf

Edited by frank1538 (see edit history)

Since your wife did not get her SSN when first entering the US, she has essentially two choices.  First, she can apply for an EAD (Employment Authorization Document or work card).  When she gets the EAD, she can then apply for the social security card.  Second, she can wait until she receives her green card after which she can apply for a social security card.

Thanks for that quick reply!

How does she apply for an EAD?

Since your wife did not get her SSN when first entering the US, she has essentially two choices.  First, she can apply for an EAD (Employment Authorization Document or work card).  When she gets the EAD, she can then apply for the social security card.  Second, she can wait until she receives her green card after which she can apply for a social security card.

Thanks for that quick reply!

How does she apply for an EAD?

193962[/snapback]

She can apply for EAD at the time you apply for AOS-or later--but NOT before. you can include the forms with your AOS apllication (include the fee with a seperate check). I'm not sure what the form number is--but someone will know it and how to download it.

Oh, and before you spend the time and money on an EAD, you should determine where need to file for AOS or where it is processed. If you are in one of the faster areas, the Green card may beat the EAD-so you wou be wasting your money. Some of the slower areas take a few year for AOS and only a few months for EAD!

I'm a little confused by what you mean "she doesn't have an I94"...

Her status is defined by her visa (k1) as you point out; but her permission and duration in the US is defined by the I94, she would of received from customs at her arrival.

You need this I-94 to appy for SSN and even for AOS or EAD. You must be able to establish her permission for being in the US, which the I-94 does.

---

As for EAD, you can apply for "Temporary" [non-renewal] EAD prior to AOS, which is only good for 90 days... this is the same as some who get a stamp at the POE.... but I don't think this serves your situation well enough, and you should follow Triggs comments/advice.

---

You can see the AOS FAQ for help to locating a Civil Surgoen (for doing the I-693), shot requirements, AOS and EAD filing and forms to download:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11293

David, Adam (emilysviolins) will have to clarify, but since his wife arrived in the U.S. in October on a K1, she had an I-94 with a validity of 90 days, so my guess is his meaning is that she no longer has a valid I-94, which a person needs to file for a SSN.

If you don't file for the SSN within 90 days of entry, then you have to wait until you get EAD or your green card to file for an SSN number (as well as a host of other things .. drivers license, for example).

Adam, have you filed for AOS (adjustment of status ... for the green card) yet? I see that you married well within the 90 day window, but you should file for the green card as soon possible afterwards so she can maintain her status her and be able to enter and exit the country as she likes (as well as a host of other things ...)

I'm a little confused by what you mean "she doesn't have an I94"...

Her status is defined by her visa (k1) as you point out; but her permission and duration in the US is defined by the I94, she would of received from customs at her arrival.

You need this I-94 to appy for SSN and even for AOS or EAD. You must be able to establish her permission for being in the US, which the I-94 does.

---

As for EAD, you can apply for "Temporary" [non-renewal] EAD prior to AOS, which is only good for 90 days... this is the same as some who get a stamp at the POE.... but I don't think this serves your situation well enough, and you should follow Triggs comments/advice.

---

You can see the AOS FAQ for help to locating a Civil Surgoen (for doing the I-693), shot requirements, AOS and EAD filing and forms to download:

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11293

193976[/snapback]

I'm thinking he meant his I-94 had expired as she has been here more than 90 days???????

Anyway, the I-94 is a small white card type paper that she would have filed out on the flight from china. It should have been stamped and dated at the POE. It then expires in 90 days.

Adam, have you filed for AOS (adjustment of status ... for the green card) yet? 

Yes. We were married 11/17, and filed the AOS right after that. She had her biometrics appointment 2 weeks ago. I believe I paid for the EAD at the time of filing the AOS, but now I just can't remember. Should write these things down...

The EAD application is the I-765

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/e-i-765.htm

You may have filed it with the I-485 forAOS but should have included a seperate check with it if you did.

Many civil surgeons will try to tell you you need a whole new exam. This is not true as long as it has been less than a year since her visa exam. You only need file the I-693 suplimental for vaccinations and it should have been sent with the I-485

You may have filed it with the I-485 forAOS but should have included a seperate check with it if you did.

Many civil surgeons will try to tell you you need a whole new exam.  This is not true as long as it has been less than a year since her visa exam.  You only need file the I-693 suplimental for vaccinations and it should have been sent with the I-485

194026[/snapback]

I'm confused about the vaccination records part.

She handed me what the doctor in shanghai gave her, which was a huge sealed package that has xrays in it (maybe it contains something else)? and some little "record of medical examination" booklet. I see nothing which says anything about her vaccination record.

Will the Civil Surgeon just "know" what shots are standard in china and only give her the ones missing or are we missing some document we're supposed to have?

And is the US govt supposed to have sent some information about the AOS to my house already or am I expected to just *know* what to do about formalizing my wife's residency?

I guess I should be thankful there are sites like these around to help through the confusion, otherwise I'd be totally sunk with no wife.

Many civil surgeons will try to tell you you need a whole new exam.0„2 This is not true as long as it has been less than a year since her visa exam.0„2 You only need file the I-693 suplimental for vaccinations and it should have been sent with the I-485

194026[/snapback]

I'm confused about the vaccination records part.

She handed me what the doctor in shanghai gave her, which was a huge sealed package that has xrays in it (maybe it contains something else)? and some little "record of medical examination" booklet. I see nothing which says anything about her vaccination record.

Will the Civil Surgeon just "know" what shots are standard in china and only give her the ones missing or are we missing some document we're supposed to have?

And is the US govt supposed to have sent some information about the AOS to my house already or am I expected to just *know* what to do about formalizing my wife's residency?

I guess I should be thankful there are sites like these around to help through the confusion, otherwise I'd be totally sunk with no wife.

194450[/snapback]

These old eyes might not see everything, but I caught your timeline - "02/25/2006 Marriage" - Congratulations.

On the vaccination question, some Chinese citizens like my wife, had no vaccination records. While in Guangzhou waiting for the interview, we went ahead a got a few vaccinations - cheaper in China than in the US. The medical folks gave us a little yellow book titled "International Certificate of Vaccination" with the listing of the shots. After the family arrived, we then went to county health and got the rest of the vaccinations, and this information was entered on another immunization record card (also yellow). Armed with both of these documents, we headed over to the civil surgeon who compared the shot records with the vaccination requirements for immigrants. I think he added a few more (3rd dose) and completed the I-693 vaccination supplement.

My guess is that absent some record or proof, the civil surgeon will want to give all the age appropriate vaccinations before he completes the form.

On the question of our government's sending information on the adjustment of status process, I have one thing to say -->http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/24.gif You'll need to figure this out for yourself, but you'll have CFL standing by to help. Initially, you should gather up the I-485 and I-864 forms that you'll have to file as part of the AOS process. Other things to consider are a social security card, advance parole if your wife wants to travel outside the US while the AOS application is pending, and the EAD or work permit.