Biometrics and I-485 Approval

Does the biometrics appointment happen before approval or can it happen after approval? I am a bit unclear on this. Also...we recieved our I-797 notice of action on the I-485 on December 6th. and to date, haven't heard anything yet. For those of you who have already passed this point, do we still have a bit of a wait yet before we hear anything? :V:

Most of the cases I've seen, including mine, have to wait. Just recently (maybe today) somebody said they got an interview appointment dated prior to their biometrics appointment.

Here is the link: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15442

I'm a long way from Detroit but you can refer to my timeline.

Edited by yuehan123 (see edit history)

We did our biometrics last week in Kansas City with our receipt date about a week earlier.

Based on others talking about difficulty getting information without their spouse by the phone I took this opportunity to submit a G-28, Entry of Appearence as Representative, for both AOS and EAD so I can easily call and check the status.

Just to add a little confusion. When my step son get his Welcome to America letter (post approval), he also got two notices to schedule biometrics. I call USCIS on this, and the representative said to wait to see if the green card came in a couple of weeks. If it arrived, he said to assume the biometrics notices were not needed. Well, the green card arrived, but I didn't want to screw things up with not scheduling the biometrics within the 84 day time-frame stated in the notice. I called again and worked my way through the maze until I was able to talk to someone who was familiar with the AOS process. He told me that CSC (where the AOS files ended up) had a number of input errors which generated bogus biometric notices. With the A number in hand, he was able to confirm that my step son's biometric notices were among the bogus ones. He again re-affirmed that my step son did not need further biometrics since he already received his green card.

I guess the lesson in all of this is that it sometimes makes sense to check to make sure the biometrics are really needed. The representative did say, however, that sometimes, proper notices do go out after the interview or even after the approval in instances where previous biometrics did not "take".