English Learning Method

I read many suggestions here about how to have my SO learn some English. Many suggested sending her to an English school or hiring a private tutor, etc. Some suggested buying her a translating machine. I did that, by the way, when I was in China. However, I came up with something that is working faster than I thought possible. I communicate by email to my English speaking friend in China. I write some simple basic conversational sentences. He calls her and translates them to Mandarin, then says them in English to her. He repeats it so that she knows the meaning of what she is saying. I call her every night and I go over the sentences to reinforce what she is learning. It works! I cannot believe how fast she is learning. I am amazed because I know how difficult it must be for her. I was an English teacher for a while and I know how difficult English can be even to those who speak it. I am only having her learn very basic words right now because I don't want to overwhelm her. Anyway, I thank you all for your suggestions. I guess I'm using a little bit of each.

Ron

Get her translating software for her computer.Kingsoft is a very good choice.You 2 will also need an IM sevvice(yahoo,ms,etc.)Both of you need microphones,so that when you chat,she can translate what you type in,and you can say the words so she can hear the pronounciation,all the while,she has the translated english text AND the chinese character text displayed on her screen.

Get her translating software for her computer.Kingsoft is a very good choice.You 2 will also need an IM sevvice(yahoo,ms,etc.)Both of you need microphones,so that when you chat,she can translate what you type in,and you can say the words so she can hear the pronounciation,all the while,she has the translated english text AND the chinese character text displayed on her screen.

192074[/snapback]

Thanks. I would like to do that, but she doesn't have a computer.

192074[/snapback]

Thanks. I would like to do that, but she doesn't have a computer.

192076[/snapback]

Well Ron,by no means am I trying to be your brain.But 1)A computer I think would be way less in costs than a class.2)She hears the words pronounced by a nataive english speaker (you).3)When she is ready to come to the "states",she can leave her computer with family or friends,so she can see (with webcam),and/or talk (microphone) with them ANY time she wants with your ("our's now) computer.

By all means, do what works best for you and your SO. Jingwen did not have a computer at first, and we relied on her hand written "phrase book", my translator, and my elementary Chinese. As it turned out, it was easier for me to pick up more Chinese that for her to pick up English. When we eventually got her a computer, it was actually better for me in learning Chinese that for her learning English.

Now that she is here, her English is progressing albeit at a snail's pace. The key, though, is communication, whether it be Chinese, English, Chinglish, or the language of love. :)

By all means, do what works best for you and your SO.  Jingwen did not have a computer at first, and we relied on her hand written "phrase book", my translator, and my elementary Chinese.  As it turned out, it was easier for me to pick up more Chinese that for her to pick up English.  When we eventually got her a computer, it was actually better for me in learning Chinese that for her learning English.

Now that she is here, her English is progressing albeit at a snail's pace.  The key, though, is communication, whether it be Chinese, English, Chinglish, or the language of love. ;)

192115[/snapback]

Absolutely......Also,coupled with a printer/copier,you can document your communications.

Thank you for your informative comments. Right now, I have to do what my budget can afford. I am not able to buy her a computer yet, so I have to do the next best thing. I know some here have much bigger budgets than I have. Don't get me wrong; I'm not screaming poverty, but these are the facts. My SO also has a problem with scheduling time to do these things since she works about 12 hours a day. I appreciate your input. I always read them with an open mind and put them to use if I can. Thanks Ron

Thank you for your informative comments.  Right now, I have to do what my budget can afford.  I am not able to buy her a computer yet, so I have to do the next best thing.  I  know some here have much bigger budgets than I have.  Don't get me wrong; I'm not screaming poverty, but these are the facts.  My SO also has a problem with scheduling time to do these things since she works about 12 hours a day.  I appreciate your input.  I always read them with an open mind and put them to use if I can.  Thanks  Ron

192171[/snapback]

Hey,I can "dig it"..Best of luck to you and your's.