Green Card a gov't issued ID?

I did a brief search here for "ID", read the green card FAQs quickly, looked at DHS and finally, called TSA.

Question: Can the green card alone be used as the government issued ID for airline travel within the US. The TSA phone line answer: yes.

Anybody have any first hand experience at the airport?

For simplicity's sake let's say, for some reason, I don't have a state issued ID or driver's license and my passport is not available.

Edited by yuehan123 (see edit history)

We have had trouble trying to get the State ID. We recently applied for the EAD. This will be her ID until the Green Card arrives. The State can keep their ID and we won't go back to them until after the Green Card when she decides to drive.

The problem with the passport is it clearly shows her visa expired. This to many people immediately creates the assumption she is illegal. I'll be glad when she has the ID and we don't have to worry about immigration checks to go out of town.

Edited by Dan R (see edit history)

It seems to me that the key to turning our spouses into REAL PEOPLE in the eyes of anyone who might look at their ID's is to get the Social Security card/EAD. Other ID's/bank accounts/some insurance companys require a number For K-1's, head to the SS office as soon as you can after arrival (well before the 90 days is up). If you don't have the Emplyment Autorization (K-1 comes with this), apply for it as soon as you can, and then head for the SS office.

We got Jiaying's Texas ID today. They needed her passport, and an SS #.

It all seems to hinge on Employment Authorization.