Adobe Reader

OK.

I just downloaded on my home machine,v.7.

I'll have my wife check it out when she gets home

as everything on her side of the machine is in Chinese.

187167[/snapback]

I think I'm going to end up doing what Mike and Sherry suggested by typing the information on a separate sheet and refer to the Item No. I have tried the other suggestions and got my computer using Simplified Chinese, then I had trouble getting it back to English. I was still not able to paste anything on that PDF form. I also tried translating my SO's name and address by using Babelfish. It came out "weird!" :(

187210[/snapback]

1- I hate Adobe

2 - After days of pain trying to get Chinese characters in a PDF form, I finally got them to show on the screen. BUT they failed to print.

3 - I gave up and just had my SO hand write them onto the forms.

4 - An attachment sounds like the best way to avoid Adobe and still maintian legibility.

OK.

I just downloaded on my home machine,v.7.

I'll have my wife check it out when she gets home

as everything on her side of the machine is in Chinese.

187167[/snapback]

I think I'm going to end up doing what Mike and Sherry suggested by typing the information on a separate sheet and refer to the Item No. I have tried the other suggestions and got my computer using Simplified Chinese, then I had trouble getting it back to English. I was still not able to paste anything on that PDF form. I also tried translating my SO's name and address by using Babelfish. It came out "weird!" :(

187210[/snapback]

1- I hate Adobe

2 - After days of pain trying to get Chinese characters in a PDF form, I finally got them to show on the screen. BUT they failed to print.

3 - I gave up and just had my SO hand write them onto the forms.

4 - An attachment sounds like the best way to avoid Adobe and still maintian legibility.

196324[/snapback]

Printing the PDF files as 'image' might work?

Guest ShaQuaNew

You need to add the asian fonts. Having the adobe writer helps...

Working with Asian text (Windows)You can create, view, and print PDF files that contain Japanese, Korean, Traditional Chinese, and Simplified Chinese text by installing the Asian support files. Install the application using the custom installation, and select the Asian Language Support options under Create Adobe PDF and View Adobe PDF. You must also have Asian language support installed for your operating system. PDFMaker and the Adobe PDF printer automatically embed most Asian fonts in your file when creating PDF files. You can control whether Asian OpenType® Fonts are embedded.

Adding and removing fontsAcrobat provides a default font folder for Distiller to monitor. You can also add your own font folders. If a PostScript file that Distiller is converting refers to a font but does not contain the font itself, Distiller looks in these folders for the font information.

By default, fonts are searched for in the following folders:l (Windows) Resource\Font in the Acrobat folder and in the Windows System font folder (also in \psfonts if ATM™ is installed). (Mac OS) Resource:Font in the Acrobat folder, and all Fonts folders monitored by Mac OS, including Users/<user name>/Library/Fonts, Library/Fonts, System/Library/Fonts, System Folder/Fonts.

To add or remove a font folder:

1. In Acrobat Distiller, choose Settings > Font Locations. The dialog box displays a list of the folders that Distiller searches for fonts. These folders can be on your hard drive or on a network.Distiller indicates that a font folder is available by displaying a folder icon to the left of the folder name. If no icon appears, or if an icon with an x through it appears with a folder name, the connection to the folder has probably been lost. You'll need to reestablish the connection.

2. To add a font folder, click Add, select the folder to add, and click OK (Windows) or Select Folder (Mac OS).Note: To provide Distiller with access to a font folder that has been moved, use this dialog box to remove the folder listed in its old location and add it in its new location.

3. To remove a font folder, select the folder, and click Remove.

4. Select the Ignore TrueType Versions of Standard PostScript Fonts option to exclude TrueType fonts that have the same name as a font in the PostScript 3™ font collection.

5. Click OK.

Guest ShaQuaNew
If all else fails:

Print the Chinese characters in Word.

Cut the characters and paste them to

the completed doc with a glue stick and

run it through the copy machine. :D

196350[/snapback]

I'm not sure about this one Pete. It depends on how picky the US want's to be about documents. Ordinarily, the US protocol on acceptable documents and changes is:

1. Corrections okay with a single line through the error. Do not obliterate. Initial, and write the correction, and date.

2. All fields completed. If a field does not apply, enter either N/A or None, as appropriate.

It's okay however to enter "See Attachment A" in a field, and use that page for the Chinese characters.... :)

i HATE Acrobat with a passion

specially the latest version likes to install

downloaders as well...

its become a real HOG

GRRRR :angry:

if you can not read the chinese fonts maybe try to resize them in word then try copying them again back into Acrobat at the new size...