SSN & I-485

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are new to the site. We are in a bit of a fix. My wife is

"interview ready" for her I-485. Unfortunantly we are in a hurricane

plagued state. The notice for her interview was mailed but undeliverable.

We called to find out what to do next. We were told to write to the sub

office which is now trying to handle the New Orleans cases.I have written a hand written letter(with no response) and also sent a formal letter I sent by DHL overnight, still no response.This, by way, in the last

2 month time frame. All we need is just to reschedule her interview, that is it!!Simple right? We are at our wits end. We are going to call the hotline one last time to see if we can get other options, or if they can just arrange an interview, then if we are still not successful we have no other choice but to contact legal advice.

Also, unsure if anyone else is or has experienced difficulty in obtaining a SSN, but we sure are. We are just unlucky, I guess. My wife has had her EA id since Feb 2005, but when we keep checking at our local SSN office, they keep telling us that something is "pending". So we contacting the customer service hotline and we were told that there is some glitch in the system and that the system needed to be "updated" and that her EA card was never activated. Has anyone experienced this situation? The deal with the I485 interview, that is understandable, but this thing with getting a SSN is ridiculous. My wife is so fustrated because everyone she knows has no problem getting a SSN.Any helpful

tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Not having the best of luck, are you. Ah, but just take it with a stiff upper lip and attack it with a ton of determination. Fortitude builds character and the process will eventually come to an end.

The best I can offer is when you call the USCIS helpline, (aka no-helpline), once you dial the 1-800 number, to get by that obnoxious male bot voice, hit 1-2-3 on your touch-tone. After a possible wait time, this will take you to a live person who can hopfully help you with your appointment dilemma.

-good luck to you and your wife and welcome to Candle

You appear to have fallen in hurricane hell!

Since New Orleans no longer exists, your case is somewhere in limbo also!

All of the terrorists that operate out of N.O. are also free to cause mayhem or whatever they want to do since our great DHS is still not able to fill the slack and deal with a closed office.

It's disgraceful!!!

As for some real help, contact your congressperson. Their explicit job is to help their constituents deal with govt. agencies. If your congressperson says he'll look into in but does not ask you for written permission to inquire as to the status of your case, forget him and move on to your senators.

You may also get results by inquiring to Maury Harty (sp?) as she is a laison for the USCIS and she has produced results before for other CFL members.

Good luck and welcome to CFL!

Hi djljj,

I also live in the hurricane ravaged "area". We did not get any damage personally, but our processing office is also New Orleans. The whole process is a mess now. It already didn't run very smoothly to begin with, but now it is even worse. New Orleans office hasn't processed NOT EVEN ONE case since before August. We are waiting on a green card, we are outside of processing time, and cannot get ANY answers from anyone. It is MOST FRUSTRATING! We have tried Senators, with not help from them. Keep us posted on what you find out. We also are considering legal advice.......

• 2 weeks later...
Hi djljj,

I also live in the hurricane ravaged "area". We did not get any damage personally, but our processing office is also New Orleans. The whole process is a mess now. It already didn't run very smoothly to begin with, but now it is even worse. New Orleans office hasn't processed NOT EVEN ONE case since before August. We are waiting on a green card, we are outside of processing time, and cannot get ANY answers from anyone. It is MOST FRUSTRATING! We have tried Senators, with not help from them. Keep us posted on what you find out. We also are considering legal advice.......

188111[/snapback]

Hello Kim & Jacob,

Thank you for your reply. Yes I have some new information but it is not to promising. We went to Jackson, MS yesterday and we talked to a

really great lady who I think is from the New Orleans district office and she made an immediate phone call to a person she knows who is actually trying to handle all of the New Orleans cases, case by case who is at the

Memphis, TN office where all of the New Orleans cases are. This is what we are told. We need to wait possibly 3 months or longer(maybe sooner if we're lucky)for a re-scheduled interview date.If we do not receive a date for an interview by June, I was told that we could file for another

EA card again but this time file my wife under c-9 rather than a9 which then my wife could get a SS# and not have something showing up at the SS office computers as something pending,even though it will be pending but there was an additional comment about verification required .I just changed subjects on you here because we have 2 issues going on here.1st is the re-scheduling an interview for her green card, 2nd issue is trying to get a SS#. The lady at the district office in Jackson was very helpful and knowlegable. Back to the issue of green card.Everybody is in a bit of a wait time. I was told by someone is that there maybe only 1-2 people checking the cases and keying in information for the New Orleans cases.The lady at the Jackson office seems to think maybe she will be back in the New Orleans district office by May, but don't get your hopes up.Everybody is in limbo at this time, and it is fustrating but you can only hang in there or take whatever steps you feel you need to take to hurry the process. We will take wait option for now and just hope the process becomes more organized.Sorry for not responding when you wrote your reply, I was consumed in work and just got back at this website, Thanks Kim & Jacob.

Hello Kim & Jacob,

Thank you for your reply. Yes I have some new information but it is not to promising. We went to Jackson, MS yesterday and we talked to a

really great lady who I think is from the New Orleans district office and she made an immediate phone call to a person she knows who is actually trying to handle all of the New Orleans cases, case by case who is at the

Memphis, TN office where all of the New Orleans cases are. This is what we are told. We need to wait possibly 3 months or longer(maybe sooner if we're lucky)for a re-scheduled interview date.If we do not receive a date for an interview by June, I was told that we could file for another

EA card again but this time file my wife under c-9 rather than a9 which then my wife could get a SS# and not have something showing up at the SS office computers as something pending,even though it will be pending but there was an additional comment about verification required .I just changed subjects on you here because we have 2 issues going on here.1st is the re-scheduling an interview for her green card, 2nd issue is trying to get a SS#. The lady at the district office in Jackson was very helpful and knowlegable. Back to the issue of green card.Everybody is in a bit of a wait time. I was told by someone is that there maybe only 1-2 people checking the cases and keying in information for the New Orleans cases.The lady at the Jackson office seems to think maybe she will be back in the New Orleans district office by May, but don't get your hopes up.Everybody is in limbo at this time, and it is fustrating but you can only hang in there or take whatever steps you feel you need to take to hurry the process. We will take wait option for now and just hope the process becomes more organized.Sorry for not responding when you wrote your reply, I was consumed in work and just got back at this website, Thanks Kim & Jacob.

191123[/snapback]

well at least you got a few answers, or at least a real person to talk to. i just dont understand what we are supposed to do now, but wait!! but that is understood all the time, even without a hurricane coming and messing with all of this immigration stuff anyway!!!

we feel most helpless now, and only 'thought' we were helpless before!