AOS for K2 wiil the k2 get a green card

I never have got a straight answer to this Question

my 17 year old Step duaghter is planning to go to College this August.

We are still working on the AOS and the question is whether or not to fill out the i-785 form so she can get a temporary Green card .

I do not think that she is really going to be working for the next 6 months anyway since she can not drive a car .

When she does get her AOS does she get a green card ?

Thanks

Richard

I'm a little confused with the nomenclature. If you are asking whether your step daughter needs to file the I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Satus) to get a two year green card, the answer is yes. If you are asking whether she needs to file the I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization) to get a two year green card, the answer is no. If you are asking whether she needs an EAD to work, the answer is yes, at least until she receives her green card (2 or 10 year). Also, if you want to get her an "authorized to work" Social Security card before she gets her green card, you will need an EAD. Once she has her green card, she can get an "authorized to work" Social security card without needing the EAD.

Lastly, when her AOS (Adjustment of Status) is approved, she will get her green card, usually within a short period of time after approval unless she gets hung up in the security checks.

Confused? Welcome to the world of immigration. :blink:

Edited by frank1538 (see edit history)
I'm a little confused with the nomenclature.  If you are asking whether your step daughter needs to file the I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Satus) to get a two year green card, the answer is yes.  If you are asking whether she needs to file the I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization) to get a two year green card, the answer is no.  If you are asking whether she needs an EAD to work, the answer is yes, at least until she receives her green card (2 or 10 year).  Also, if you want to get her an "authorized to work" Social Security card before she gets her green card, you will need an EAD.  Once she has her green card, she can get an "authorized to work" Social security card without needing the EAD.

Lastly, when her AOS (Adjustment of Status) is approved, she will get her green card, usually within a short period of time after approval unless she gets hung up in the security checks.

Confused?  Welcome to the world of immigration. :D

186710[/snapback]

Thanks Frank ,

The AOS is confusing for me ,and there seems to be alot of misinformation out there as to what forms are needed ,whether or not I have to submit my birth certificate and two passport photos etc .

So I am Still slogging through this mess.

Even the FAQ's on Visa journey are confusing :D

• 2 weeks later...