Top 10 reasons..

Duh. . . . . images do not show up on my pc, Enight. :V:  :blink:

Robert,

That is the problem with using links to images on other servers......

If anything changes during the life of the post on the candle, things can get disconnected, and the images disappear.

Of course, the same thing would do if you decided to dump images to save space on the Candle.

I bet we will loose many of Dave's images in a year or so too.

----- Clifford ------

Duh. . . . . images do not show up on my pc, Enight. :V:  :blink:

Robert,

If anything changes during the life of the post on the candle, things can get disconnected, and the images disappear.

Of course, the same thing would do if you decided to dump images to save space on the Candle.

I bet we will loose many of Dave's images in a year or so too.

----- Clifford ------

Clifford,

Uh, yeah, I see what you are saying about the images. But if they are on another server they at least are not taking up space here, are they? Really what I was thinking about was some huge photos I remember. Surely they are taking up a wasteful percentage of server space. Stuff that is typewritten takes up hardly any space comparatively. Of course PJ is a serious computer guy so I am sure he will continue to do a great job keeping Candle up and running and with enough space for us to ramble.

Oh, now I see where I have been informed that photos also are on another server. Gosh, I hate to think about any of my blather being deleted, but oh well.

- R

Uh, yeah, I see what you are saying about the images.  But if they are on another server they at least are not taking up space here, are they?  Really what I was thinking about was some huge photos I remember.  Surely they are taking up a wasteful percentage of server space.  Stuff that is typewritten takes up hardly any space comparatively.  Of course PJ is a serious computer guy so I am sure he will continue to do a great job keeping Candle up and running and with enough space for us to ramble.

Oh, now I see where I have been informed that photos also are on another server.  Gosh, I hate to think about any of my blather being deleted, but oh well.

- R

Roberticon9.gif S.,

Yes, "HUGE Photos" would waste a lot of space. But, the Candle doesn't host any of the photos.

The only photos that actually reside on the Candle are the 40 or so built-in smilies, the Candle, a couple of chinese characters in the header, and a few navigation buttons. icon14.gif

icon_members.gif

The "Avitars" also reside on the Candle.

When I put mine in, it suggested 64 pixels x 64 pixels.... Actually, I think you have been breaking the rules.... yours is 102 x 116 pixels.... And pretty large at 11 KB too :) But in reality, even 600 or so avitars at 10 KB each comprises of only 6 MB or so which is very little.

I haven't checked to see whether the system would allow a 10MB Avitar, but I assume that PJ watches that.

av-1.gif

There is only one copy of the avitars that is linked to in all the posts so that really doesn't take up much space either.

Hmmm,

What did you do to your avitar which is still on the system, just hidden a bit??????

av-51.gif

http://candleforlove.com/forums/uploads/av-51.gif

One of the things that I think adds up the most is the "QUOTE" function that can allow people to easily repeat HUGE amounts of text. But, that is still just text.

----- Clifford ------

Yes, I so much agree with you that the quote system must be taking up a lot of space. I will use it sometimes but not often. Some people seem to glory in wasting space but PJ has never cracked down on this like I would. I got to not feeling very leonine any more, perhaps now more like a well fed house cat.

Robert,

Now that is interesting..... You can have 2 different Avitars.....

Your old lion, and the new photo.

av-51.gif

http://candleforlove.com/forums/uploads/av-51.gif

av-51.jpg

http://candleforlove.com/forums/uploads/av-51.jpg

(jpg vs gif).

I do like the "new" standard of putting the faces on the system, although I must admit that I will miss the old lion.....

Hmmm, now this opens up some "new" possibilities :o

------ Clifford ------

----- Clifford ------

If you are linking to images on other servers, you are "hot-linking". You are using the bandwidth of the website of someone else. This is not good practice. Unless you have the other person's permission, you are stealing their bandwidth. Every time the image displays, you use their bandwidth.

I encountered this on my adult websites (where bandwidth is very valuable), so I used my server's hot-linking protection to prevent others from stealing my bandwidth. Apparently you didn't know. :(

AZ,

I encountered this on some of the Smilie & icon websites that I was looking at earlier.... DAVE!!!!

Anyway, read the website's policies, and avoid hotlinking to any website that expressly requests that one doesn't do it.

Perhaps the best alternative would be to use a website space generally provided for "free" by one's ISP. Copy the images onto the ISP website, then hot link to those.

Of course, with hotlinked items, it is usually easy to trace the source (and attribute authorship). By taking out the hotlinks, one sometimes looses the ability to figure out where the image came from.

----- Clifford -----

Good idea, Clifford.  To take it a step further, how about setting up an account on one of those free webspace servers (such as Geocities, Xoom, etc.).  Any CFL poster could upload image to that server and hotlink without stealing anyone else's bandwidth.

AZ,

I just dug out a link to my old geocities account and tried uploading some pictures and hotlinking.... Pretty Lousy Results :)

The pictures are there, they just don't show up on the Candle :)

Maybe I should look for a better ISP for use as a "scratch-pad".

----- CK -----