I-864 question

Hi everyone. This website is great! Quick question... I don't have my 2004 w-2 form. It is lost. And, I am currently in China. I called my office and asked them for a copy. They said they could fax one. Would a faxed copy of my w-2 be acceptable?

Another question...I didn't make copies of my I-130, G-325 A's, or the P-3 documents that we sent back. Will this be a problem?

Thanks for the help!

Welcome to CFL!

I would guess that a fax copy is allright as it is corroborated by the actual tax return. If you get the official IRS copy of the form which shows the same amounts as the faxed copy of the W2, I think you'll be O.K.

As for the other forms, you will probably need to reconstruct the data on the forms later on in the visa process, so you should be O.K. for now. In the future always make copies of everything you send them as some people have gotten their forms lost by our govt. paper pushers!!!

Good luck!

Edited by cosmiclobster (see edit history)
Hi everyone.  This website is great!  Quick question... I don't have my 2004 w-2 form.  It is lost.  And, I am currently in China.  I called my office and asked them for a copy.  They said they could fax one.  Would a faxed copy of my w-2 be acceptable? 

Another question...I didn't make copies of my I-130, G-325 A's, or the P-3 documents that we sent back.  Will this be a problem? 

Thanks for the help!

184235[/snapback]

If you need the real copy, I suggest that you DHL the document to you in China. It's very fast and sure to reach you. A little expensive BUT better than not having what you really need. About 3-4 days

Edited by rlheim (see edit history)

Welcome to CFL. I would think a faxed copy of the W-2 is ok, or you can request a copy directly from IRS. I had to do that as well. I was able to walk in and get a copy on the spot, but you're being in China may make this difficult unless you give a power of attorney to someone stateside.

Not having copies of the P3 documents, etc. should not be a problem. Just keep your fingers crossed that the consulate hasn't lost anything.

From what I gathered on the I-864's, W-2's are only required if you filed a joint tax return with your spouse (or previous spouse) and using only your own income to qualify. If your 2004 tax return was a single return, than you probably don't even need the W-2 unless they specifically ask for one.

In any case, I gave the Sydney embassy copies of my W-2's for all three years. I kept the originals with me, in case they asked for it. They never did, so I gather that the copies were sufficient (and likely not even needed in the first place).