Hi folks, I was wondering if anyone has called the GZ hotline to ask questions? My P3 listed a phone number and the rates (about 50 rmb for 12 minutes) so I want to give them a call and get some answers straight from the horses mouth. Has anyone done this? Was it worthwhile? I know I could get better, friendlier advice here on CFL but time is running short and I need to send in my P3 tomorrow. Thanks.

-Alec

Hi folks, I was wondering if anyone has called the GZ hotline to ask questions? My P3 listed a phone number and the rates (about 50 rmb for 12 minutes) so I want to give them a call and get some answers straight from the horses mouth. Has anyone done this? Was it worthwhile? I know I could get better, friendlier advice here on CFL but time is running short and I need to send in my P3 tomorrow. Thanks.

-Alec

184120[/snapback]

The # they gave you is for the consulates 'visa call center', and they have a computer database that GUZ feeds every monday. The only info the call center can tell you is 1) P3 sent 2) P3 recieved 3) P4 sent

4) Interview day is: xx/xx/xxxx

They are not the horses mouth, but a proxy for the horses mouth. Perhaps even a horses a$$.

Other than that, it is really useless. Quite honestly, CFL will probably give you some better answers.

-Alec

184120[/snapback]

What info do you need? Lets give CFL a shot............ :)

Is this the number they gave you, DOS gave me this number today

to call the Embassy 86-21-38814611

184139[/snapback]

That's the one!

Please call the U.S. Visa Information Center at 4008-872-333 within China or 86-21-3881-4611 from other countries, from 7 A.M. to 7 P.M. (China Time) Monday - Friday and 8 A.M. to 5 P.M. Saturday. Be prepared to provide the primary applicant name in pin yin and case number. There is a charge to access the Visa Information Center. Prices are 54 RMB for 12 minutes or 36 RMB for 8 minutes. The Visa Information Center charge may be paid at any CITIC Bank office or on the Internet at https://www.usavisainformation.com.cn/eng/index.aspx. Once the charge is paid, you will be given a PIN number that must be given to the Visa Information Center when you call to verify the payment.

I have emailed GUZ several times in the past couple months and they always answered me within 1-2 days.

They confirmed that they received my SO's chinese address that I had faxed them.

And they also answered me twice when I had emailed asking if they have received the hard copy of our case. Of course after they told me that they have not received the paper copy, they would add a long statement at the bottom of the email explaining that they prefer everyone use the pay line.

What info do you need? Lets give CFL a shot............ :angry:

184137[/snapback]

Had a few real basic ones, just to triple check everything before I mail my packet. Im sending in the DS-230 (part 1) with the OF-169 and nothing else. No money, no I-864, nothing. Wanted to make sure this was right. Also, had a few more specific questions.

1) Does Elf need an exit visa from the Chinese government if/when we pass the interview and get the American visa?

2) On the I-864, it asks for evidence of current employment. I have a job here in China teaching English but (obviously) the pay is not enough to meet American poverty standards. I have job lined up at home teaching Biology but there's a catch: I cant get the job til I go back to the states and pass a qualifying test. Until then, Im unemployed. So...on the I-864 should I just show my employment here in China?

3) My parents are signing as cosponsors and I have all their financial info. Will I have to prove their "self-employment" or just show the tax returns, bank statements, and birth certs?

4) Is there any difference between an Affidavit of Support and an I-864?

5) Why is this so hard? Why do they make legal immigrants like us bust our ass and get ulcers from the stress while other people just walk or swim into the country?

Thanks for your help everybody.

-Alec

Edited by alec_bauserman (see edit history)
What info do you need? Lets give CFL a shot............ :)

184137[/snapback]

Had a few real basic ones, just to triple check everything before I mail my packet. Im sending in the DS-230 (part 1) with the OF-169 and nothing else. No money, no I-864, nothing. Wanted to make sure this was right. Also, had a few more specific questions.

1) Does Elf need an exit visa from the Chinese government if/when we pass the interview and get the American visa?

2) On the I-864, it asks for evidence of current employment. I have a job here in China teaching English but (obviously) the pay is not enough to meet American poverty standards. I have job lined up at home teaching Biology but there's a catch: I cant get the job til I go back to the states and pass a qualifying test. Until then, Im unemployed. So...on the I-864 should I just show my employment here in China?

3) My parents are signing as cosponsors and I have all their financial info. Will I have to prove their "self-employment" or just show the tax returns, bank statements, and birth certs?

5) Why is this so hard? Why do they make legal immigrants like us bust our ass and get ulcers from the stress while other people just walk or swim into the country?

-Alec

184208[/snapback]

I can answer #1............no exit visa needed, but of course, she needs a passport.

Can someone help him with #2, 3, 4?

5) :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: And some want us to fund their educations, health care, give them drivers licenses with no other documentation, etc. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

-Alec

184208[/snapback]

The I-134 is a weaker, non-binding version of th I-864.

USCONGUZ's post

Simply answer the questions truthfully, without going to a lot of effort. For instance, where it asked for my home equity, I didn't get an appraisal, I didn't try to get an estimate of the current value - I simply entered the down payment I had made last year.

List your current job.

Your parents are co-sponsors - their income should suffice. For the self-employed, I believe they are required to furnish tax returns. Just follow the directions for self-employment.

The I-134 and I-864 are Affidavits of Support. The I-864 is binding, I believe, for 5 years.

5) Continue posting, and order several case-lots of Cheetos.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

whether to use I-864 or I-864a has been the debate of the CFL century... and it's easy to confuse the terms "co-sponsor", "joint-sponsor" and when one is considered one and when one is not (I-864a's are technically not a joint sponsor)).

Key is to determine if your parents are 'household members' by definition or not... If they are, then they fill out the I-864a; if they are not then they fill out the I-864...

DOS Rule on Affidavits of Support: Guidance on Reading and Evaluating I-864

http://www.americanlaw.com/affidavitrule2.html

It is important to differentiate between household members and joint

sponsors. To meet the 125 percent income requirement, a petitioner may count his/her income and assets and/and the income and assets of household members (as defined in Paras 20 and 25) in the same Affidavit of Support.

As long as the household members are included in the same Affidavit of Support and have signed Form I-864a (see Para 21), they are not considered joint sponsors.

Anyone outside the household, as defined by the act, must submit a separate Affidavit of Support and will be considered separately as a joint sponsor. Joint sponsors may similarly include the income and assets of their own qualified household members to meet the income requirement.

The only thing I used this number for was to schedule our overcome appointment to submit documents and evidence. It duped me into having to subscribe twice because it put me through all these obstacles to talk to a live person only to tell me that an English speaking person was not available and to call back.

This was all the service was good for. In my opinion... another way for the government to milk me out of my hard earned dollar... which by the way... I am still stingin' from for having to go to GUZ to overcome because of the denial!!! :P

oh well... life goes on... we are extremely happy now and all that is over!

David - Wow, great information. Thanks! EVERYONE - go to the link and check this out if you have any questions about the I864 . Its very helpful. Here is a quote from the website:

"It is important to differentiate between household members and joint sponsors. To meet the 125 percent income requirement, a petitioner may count his/her income and assets and/and the income and assets of household members (as defined in Paras 20 and 25) in the same Affidavit of Support. As long as the household members are included in the same Affidavit of Support and have signed Form I-864a (see Para 21), they are not considered joint sponsors. Anyone outside the household, as defined by the act, must submit a separate Affidavit of Support and will be considered separately as a joint sponsor. Joint sponsors may similarly include the income and assets of their own qualified household members to meet the income requirement."

OK. Im broke and I have no job (I know I know...Im quite a catch :P) . I cannot meet the poverty guidlines so I need my parents to co-sign. Because they are family members, I can include their assets and income in my Affadavit of Support. They have to fill out and sign the I-864A but they dont need to do their own AOS. Is that right? It sounds like this is much better than them filing as joint-sponsors and having to do their own I-864's....

Key is to determine if your parents are 'household members' by definition or not... If they are, then they fill out the I-864a; if they are not then they fill out the I-864...

184428[/snapback]

On the I-864A, here is the definition of a household member: "A 'household member'' is any person ( a ) sharing a residence with the sponsor for at least the last 6 months who is related to the sponsor by birth, marriage, or adoption, or ( b ) whom the sponsor has lawfully claimed as a dependent on the sponsor's most recent federal income tax return even if that person does not live at the same residence as the sponsor, and whose income and/or assets will be used to demonstrate the sponsor's ability to maintain the sponsored immigrant(s) at an annual income at the level specified in section 213A(f)(1)(E) or 213A(f)(3) of the Act."

CRAP. By that definition, I CANT use my parents as household members. I have been living here in China for the last year and half. Before I came here, though, we lived together for 6 months. Also, we will live together for a year, techinically at least, when Elf and I come back to the States. Is there any way to still qualify as "household members" ? Is it up to the VO at the interview or are their hands tied?

Thanks for the help everybody.

Maybe I need to apoligize for the I-864"A" issue here, maybe should have asked Alec his future living arrangements. Assumed he would be living w/parents upon return.

184451[/snapback]

Elf and I will move back to my hometown - Winchester, Virginia. It is my permanent mailing address and my parents address as well. In reality they spend a lot of their time at my grandparents farm in WV but as far as the governemnt is concerned, we will all live together in Winchester. My mom is a psychologist and she works out of the house. My dad is a financial planner (thank God for that...those I-864s are a nightmare) and he works right next door. So yeah, we will be living together for a year or so until we get our own place.

On the I-864A it says for us to be "household members" we have to have lived together for the previous 6 months. It doesnt mention anything about future plans. Thats prety stupid IMO. I have lived here in China for the last year and a half so technically we are not eligible, but when we go back we WILL live together for a year or so. Is there any way we can still qualify as household members?