Folks who have completed the visa interview at the

new consular section in Tian Yu Gardens recently please help:

1) Is a 3 ring binder allowed ?

2) did you have to slide your 3 ring binder through

the sliding transparent trap-door on the interview

counter?

183957[/snapback]

The advice I got for our upcoming interview is this:

1) It is like a bank window, so you can only slide papers through, not a 3 ring binder. However, you can use the binder to organize everything.

2) The most important thing, is make sure she can FIND what the VO asks for easily and quickly. Then she can remove it from the binder and slide it under the window.

I used two 3 ring binders because they made sense to me. I could divide each section into a category of there own. Financial documents in one binder and Proof of relationship in another. If at the interview my wife needed to pull bank statements out they were easy for her to access. If she needed photos they were all in sleeves she could have pulled out. I know my wife was nervous as I was here. I provided all this information to her that she could not even read. Yet she was dependant on this information to get the visa. What a bind to be in. So if I could help her to be organized this was the least I could. I really didn’t want my wife to go to the interview with all these different folders and envelopes and fumbling around and looking pretty amateur. By the time our wives get to the interview they have the right to a visa. I wanted to make it easy for Ling to be able to show someone the proof they needed to “see” to give her the visa. The interview was the most important presentation I had ever made. If I could I was leaving nothing to chance.

You and your wife will do great.

I used two 3 ring binders because they made sense to me. I could divide each section into a category of there own. Financial documents in one binder and Proof of relationship in another. If at the interview my wife needed to pull bank statements out they were easy for her to access. If she needed photos they were all in sleeves she could have pulled out. I know my wife was nervous as I was here. I provided all this information to her that she could not even read. Yet she was dependant on this information to get the visa. What a bind to be in. So if I could help her to be organized this was the least I could. I really didn’t want my wife to go to the interview with all these different folders and envelopes and fumbling around and looking pretty amateur. By the time our wives get to the interview they have the right to a visa. I wanted to make it easy for Ling to be able to show someone the proof they needed to “see” to give her the visa. The interview was the most important presentation I had ever made. If I could I was leaving nothing to chance.

You and your wife will do great.

183977[/snapback]

Amen, thank you dude

Folks who have completed the visa interview at the

new consular section in Tian Yu Gardens recently please help:

1) Is a 3 ring binder allowed ?

2) did you have to slide your 3 ring binder through

the sliding transparent trap-door on the interview

counter?

183957[/snapback]

The advice I got for our upcoming interview is this:

1) It is like a bank window, so you can only slide papers through, not a 3 ring binder. However, you can use the binder to organize everything.

2) The most important thing, is make sure she can FIND what the VO asks for easily and quickly. Then she can remove it from the binder and slide it under the window.

183958[/snapback]

Ken, Thanks for clarifying the 3 ring binder issue.

We used one of those expanding file folders with seperate compartments on the inside with tabs. We organized everthing in clear plastic folders with a cover sheet on the front saying what they were and put them in the appropriate sections. That way all she had to do was open the expanding file and pull out the folder with the information they want and slide it through the window.

I plan on getting her a binder or binders and then having the Chinese phrase for whatever it is on the front of the divider tab and English on the back. I figure this way she can see what it says, and so could the VO if need be.

I am also toying with the idea of a page on the front of the binder that says something to the effect of "Interview materials" followed by

Good luck my love. No matter the outcome, I love you. We'll be together soon! Yuan fen!

In Giant chinese characters so the VO can see I can communicate a little in Chinese, though my wife's English is getting there quickly.

It might be over the top, but at the least she can look at that while she waits and know I am there in spirit, if not in body. Whether I am there in body will depend on when the interview is actually scheduled.

Reminds me... I need to recharge my Onesuite so I can wait on hold with DOS! Yay! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I just picked up a very slick expanding file case from WalMart. It was $7 here, and made in China, so maybe it can be found at Jusco or someplace like that (or one of the expanding number of Chinese WalMarts - lol). It's about the same size as a ream of legal paper and has 26 pockets plus a couple of extra pockets. I plan on getting pretty specific with each pocket (one for emails, one for phone records, 130, 129F, one for travel evidence, etc.) with Chinese characters on top. There is a pair of cardholders inside and I will write my little note to her in there. Discreet, but not too discreet :)

I just picked up a very slick expanding file case from WalMart.

Indeed. A transparent (plastic) accordian folder are what I sent my dear in with. Keeps the guards at the security checkpoint happy, keeps the documentation to be ignored by the VO organized.

(Can y'all tell that well over a year later I'm still bitter?)

184214[/snapback]

YEP SIREE, Welcome back, and thanks for the tip.