The Powers That Be

My brother worked in the office of a Congressman and his contacts there said they would be happy to help us with the case. Also, a staffer of the Congressman for my hometown also said she would help.

My question is, would this make ANY difference to my processing time? Or would it simply piss of the case workers: "Oh...Alec...he thinks he's SOOOOO important. Getting help from the government *pft* *drops case in trash*" What do you think? Has anyone gotten help from a Congressman? Was it helpful in any way?

Thanks!

-Alec

Usually congressional inquiries do little to speed up the process unless there is a log jam some place. For example if it was hung up in a security check. Then Congressional push can help. I doubt it would get you through the process any faster otherwise.

Guest ShaQuaNew

As Carl states, there is little that Senatorial or Congressional liasons can do until there are delays or anomalies. Before that, it's probably not a good idea to get them involved.

• 2 weeks later...
dont ask the congressman to get involved in your case. as you say, the consulate staff would like to put your file in trash other than speed up the process.

186596[/snapback]

While I agree that congressional inquiry is not necessary as long as you are making progress, I would be curious as to what direct evidence you have, tigress, that "the consulate staff would like to put your file in trash"?

My assumption is that the Immigrant Visa Section in GZ is professionally staffed, they have a large case load, they are judged by stopping the issue of fraudulent visas, and sometimes errors are made. My assumption is based on having worked with State Department employees at embassies for many years and by observing what is reported in this forum.

dont ask the congressman to get involved in your case. as you say, the consulate staff would like to put your file in trash other than speed up the process.

186596[/snapback]

While I agree that congressional inquiry is not necessary as long as you are making progress, I would be curious as to what direct evidence you have, tigress, that "the consulate staff would like to put your file in trash"?

My assumption is that the Immigrant Visa Section in GZ is professionally staffed, they have a large case load, they are judged by stopping the issue of fraudulent visas, and sometimes errors are made. My assumption is based on having worked with State Department employees at embassies for many years and by observing what is reported in this forum.

186636[/snapback]

i should not make that kind of comment in public. i am sorry. but i do feel that.

186596[/snapback]

186636[/snapback]

i should not make that kind of comment in public. i am sorry. but i do feel that.

186654[/snapback]

While I don't believe they would actually trash a case, it is common in a bureaucratic situation to slow down processing. Like help this file move fast to the back of the line. Something like the harder you push, the slower I go.

In this current situation I can see no benefit in asking for a push in the processing as it is moving along in a reasonable time frame with the "normal processing".

Usually congressional inquiries do little to speed up the process unless there is a log jam some place.  For example if it was hung up in a security check.  Then Congressional push can help. I doubt it would get you through the process any faster otherwise.

183754[/snapback]

NOT! Ours is hung up in FBI Land and or Congressman said it is "inprocess" and not to bother him for 6 more months. Shit he is getting a nasty gram here as soon as I have time.

Usually congressional inquiries do little to speed up the process unless there is a log jam some place.  For example if it was hung up in a security check.  Then Congressional push can help.   I doubt it would get you through the process any faster otherwise.

183754[/snapback]

NOT! Ours is hung up in FBI Land and or Congressman said it is "inprocess" and not to bother him for 6 more months. Shit he is getting a nasty gram here as soon as I have time.

186699[/snapback]

Will this get your wife here? A "nasty" note I mean.

QUOTE(tigress @ Jan 29 2006, 08:13 AM)

QUOTE(Jim_julian @ Jan 29 2006, 04:29 PM)

QUOTE(tigress @ Jan 28 2006, 05:26 PM)

I think what tigress was trying to say, and I would tend to agree and think it is logical, is nobody likes someone telling them how to do their job. If you ask a congressman to help when your application is going along smoothly GUZ probably wouldn't appreciate another member of the government calling them up and trying to tell them what to do. They have a lot of cases and a lot of work to do. While maybe a member of the consulate can sympathize with your case that doesn't affect the fact that GUZ has an enourmous amount of cases they are processing. They just have to keep working on a line of cases that never ceases.

If I had such a stressful job and someone who had never worked there and didn't understand the process came in and said, "Hey could you make this one go through quickly?" I would feel upset. Nobody likes when that happens.

I do give you and your SO my best wishes and hope that her interview will be before you leave and the two of you can go home together. ;)

Will this get your wife here? A "nasty" note I mean.

His wife is already here. He means AOS.

I would agree with tigress. I have heard before that people inside the consulate resent congressional intrusion into thier turf. Unless there is a problem with being hung up in name check or something I would advise keeping legislators out of it.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

Welllll.........Old cheffy is going to stand alone on this issue. I am going to go to the other side of the fence here. Maybe, just another view point. I do believe that getting one of our fine legislators invovle in a case could be harmful to ones health. But, you have a different connection, unlike most who would seek congressional help and that is you have an upclose personal contact who is a staffer in a congressman office. Depending upon there position, ie; they are the congressman AA or LA you are in a great position. Because they may know somebody who knows somebody that can make a discreat(sp) inquiry into your case and possibly nudge it along. This of course would be done via a supervisor or above type person who would check the status of yopur case. Again, the difference is that you have a connection in a congressman office. So I VOTE, use the connection, if you needed later in the process. :D