Consulates Getting More Bold...

Hi all...long time, no see. Just wanted to share a recent story we had happen to us.

My wife is in China now and hoped to get a tourist visa for her sister-in-law to come to the States to help out with the new baby in May. The sister-in-law is married, has a daughter in college, and a husband who is quite successful. They have a house, cars, etc. Blah, blah, blah. She should have passed through the visa interview with no problem.

Funny thing is that she did! She answered all the questions right. The interviewer said her papers were perfect. When all was said and done, they flatly said no. No excuses about her family. No excuses about the threat of her not returning. Nothin'. I found that bold and brazen.

Just wanted to share. I hope all here are well.

Edited by Dave G. (see edit history)

xxxsorry to hear the bad news, it's amazing the amount of fear our government has, think of all the tourist dollars our country is losing to europe with asian tourists.

just curious, what consulate did your sister in law appy at? we are thinking of having my wife's parents visit and i hear some of the consulates in the less prominent provinces are easier than others.

xxxsorry to hear the bad news, it's amazing the amount of fear our government has, think of all the tourist dollars our country is losing to europe with asian tourists.

just curious, what consulate did your sister in law appy at? we are thinking of having my wife's parents visit and i hear some of the consulates in the less prominent provinces are easier than others.

182833[/snapback]

It was Chengdu. They've done some amazing things for us since entering this visa mess (saved my unborn kid from extinction, got a tourist visa for my father-in-law). They turned down one kid who I helped try to get a student visa (it didn't break my heart) and now this denied visa.

I'm a big believer in following the rules and presenting papers that are nothing less than perfect. A flat "No." with no explanation just don't cut if for me.

So, what do we do now? Probably find some Chinese gal whom we don't know well to help out with the new baby. Will she have legal status in the US? I ain't asking. If, for some reason she doesn't, I don't feel bad. I tried to do it the right way and I (we) were denied.

What I've heard is that the parents have maybe a 20% chance of being approved. With other relatives, it's closer to 0. With pretty much that kind of a turn-down (no or little reason). I have a friend at work whose parents made the trip to Shanghai and paid the $100 fee 3 times just to hear the VO say "No". They won't be trying again.

So, what do we do now?  Probably find some Chinese gal whom we don't know well to help out with the new baby.  Will she have legal status in the US?  I ain't asking.  If, for some reason she doesn't, I don't feel bad.  I tried to do it the right way and I (we) were denied.

182842[/snapback]

My gut says that repeated attempts seem to increase the chances of getting the visa - all anecdotal but others have gotten the visas after several previous denials.

Good to hear from you Dave, although I am sorry for the denial for no apparent reason. Just speculation, but I had the thought that you might have been a victim of quotas and the numbers game, pure and simple. it ain't fair by a long shot, but it also isn't surprising. Keep trying my friend and keep us posted.

Really miss you from the old RR days. :lol: :D :lol: :blink:

So, what do we do now?0„2 Probably find some Chinese gal whom we don't know well to help out with the new baby.0„2 Will she have legal status in the US?0„2 I ain't asking.0„2 If, for some reason she doesn't, I don't feel bad.0„2 I tried to do it the right way and I (we) were denied.

182842[/snapback]

My gut says that repeated attempts seem to increase the chances of getting the visa - all anecdotal but others have gotten the visas after several previous denials.

182856[/snapback]

I have also heard that past denials can count against you - with repeated attempts, it's best to try to understand WHY you were turned down and submit "overcome" evidence in the next application. Remember, though, that with each application comes a fee and a trip to the consulate.

Don - I wouldn't think that there's anything wrong with a cross-reference to ANY forum.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)