POE question

Guest wxh

Hi Everyone,

Hope all is well, and it is so great to hear all the good news, keep it coming. I would like to hear some advice on whether I should travel back to the US with my wife and go through immigration with her. This may be a question for the men out there but I would like to hear from the Lady's also. Should I travel to Shanghai and travel back with my wife to the POE, which is San Francisco? Will the POE officers be kind, courteous, and respectful? Also, San Francisco can be confusing to someone that is unfamiliar with its concourses and I can meet her there but I will not be able to go past the international flights sercurity check without a boarding pass. If we can save a thousand dollars for my flight I will. BUT, if this group feels that I should fly to Shanghai and than fly back with her I will.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

wxh

To realize the value of one year:

Ask the lovers who are waiting to meet.

Time waits for no one. Treasure every moment you have.

You will treasure it even more when you can share it with someone special.

Hi Everyone,

Hope all is well, and it is so great to hear all the good news, keep it coming. I would like to hear some advice on whether I should travel back to the US with my wife and go through immigration with her. This may be a question for the men out there but I would like to hear from the Lady's also. Should I travel to Shanghai and travel back with my wife to the POE, which is San Francisco? Will the POE officers be kind, courteous, and respectful? Also, San Francisco can be confusing to someone that is unfamiliar with its concourses and I can meet her there but I will not be able to go past the international flights sercurity check without a boarding pass. If we can save a thousand dollars for my flight I will. BUT, if this group feels that I should fly to Shanghai and than fly back with her I will.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

wxh

To realize the value of one year:

Ask the lovers who are waiting to meet.

Time waits for no one. Treasure every moment you have.

You will treasure it even more when you can share it with someone special.

If you only go to Shanghai because you want to clear immigration with her, save the money for better stuff with her . She'll be just fine, I'm sure. ;) POE entry is no big deal.

Also, San Francisco can be confusing to someone that is unfamiliar with its concourses and I can meet her there but I will not be able to go past the international flights sercurity check without a boarding pass. If we can save a thousand dollars for my flight I will.

I don't know the layout of SFO, and I doubt this will help you due to most airport layouts, but to get past the security check, buy a fully refundable fare class.

Get your boarding pass, go in. Then cancel it and get your money back.

For what it is worth, I have been told 'I am not worthy' to travel to china to travel back with her, and save the money.  I sure hope she meant 'it is not worth it!'

LOL .. yeah.. I'm sure she did mean the latter... ;) I find those slip-ups so cute.. Mine does that too from time to time.

Otherwise.... God has mercy on you ! ;)

Also, San Francisco can be confusing to someone that is unfamiliar with its concourses and I can meet her there but I will not be able to go past the international flights sercurity check without a boarding pass. If we can save a thousand dollars for my flight I will.

I don't know the layout of SFO, and I doubt this will help you due to most airport layouts, but to get past the security check, buy a fully refundable fare class.

Get your boarding pass, go in. Then cancel it and get your money back.

Look it up... SFO Terminals . It's no big deal, really. these gals are smart... ;)

She can go to the "immigrant" counter if there is one. Not the "tourist" 2 mile long line counter. Chicago does have one. Frankly, I'd go to the "permanent resident/ U.S Citizen " counter.. Nothing to loose, but a redirect. And most of those immigration guys are very friendly in SFO, LAX, MIA, ORD, ATL etc etc..

I will be meeting her in LAX. Don't see any need for me to fly to Shanghai just to accompany her back. Customs and Immigration people at the airports have always been very kind to me and others that I have seen coming in including a woman coming in on a Advance Parole. By meeting them at POE we will be doing away with any worry of missing a connecting flight.

I will be meeting her in LAX.  Don't see any need for me to fly to Shanghai  just to accompany her back.   Customs and Immigration people at the airports have always been very kind to me and others that I have seen coming in including a woman coming in on a Advance Parole.  By meeting them at POE we will be doing away with any worry of missing a connecting flight.

I'd like to fly to Shanghai.. I just loooove those 14 hr flight .... ;)

At any rate, allow 3 hrs between the China inbound and any US town connection.... Murphy loves to lurk at airports ;)

For what it is worth, I have been told 'I am not worthy' to travel to china to travel back with her, and save the money.  I sure hope she meant 'it is not worth it!'

LOL .. yeah.. I'm sure she did mean the latter... ;) I find those slip-ups so cute.. Mine does that too from time to time.

Otherwise.... God has mercy on you ! ;)

Yes, when I used to chat online more, I had found I could often tell if a person was a native slavic, romance or chinese language speaker just from the idioms and grammer they would use. It can also be interesting when they use a word in a completly proper but obscure manner. I sometimes picture her chatting with an unabridged 1919 Websters next to her. The one that I heard a few times in China from people that I had to make sure I supressed a laugh was 'my english teacher told me I speak so good english'.

I don't know the layout of SFO, and I doubt this will help you due to most airport layouts,   but to get past the security check,   buy a fully refundable fare class.

Get your boarding pass, go in.  Then cancel it and get your money back.

Look it up... SFO Terminals . It's no big deal, really. these gals are smart... ;)

I meant that I doubt being able to get past the security with a boarding pass would help him, as I don't think you can then get from departures to arrivals to be able to meet her anyway.

Otherwise.... God has mercy on you ! :angry:

Yes, when I used to chat online more, I had found I could often tell if a person was a native slavic, romance or chinese language speaker just from the idioms and grammer they would use. It can also be interesting when they use a word in a completly proper but obscure manner. I sometimes picture her chatting with an unabridged 1919 Websters next to her. The one that I heard a few times in China from people that I had to make sure I supressed a laugh was 'my english teacher told me I speak so good english'.

An interesting note on that matter. The Chinese are taught by their Chinese teachers to methodically translate word by word. Now that doesn't work real well when translating into a language which is as different in its origin and structure. For one thing Chinese tends towards the poetic and sometimes can be downright obscure about what they are really trying to say. Students are commonly trying to read more into the English text than is really there.

Also, the Chinese commonly use the electronic translators nowdays. Over all they are very good. We use one ourselves. Problems arise though in that they all seem to use the same database. There are words listed occassionally that just are not really part of the English language and even more commonly that are obscure or no longer used.

Also English tends to have a lot of degrees of "shading" that can be used to very precisely designate meaning. This is really difficult for the students to pick up on. Partially because the Chinese educational system is oriented towards the concept that there is one right answer to everything. I have proofread the Liaoning English language exams that were given to 9th graders and have seen some of the tests for the College "Band" levels. Both had numerous instances where there was more than one correct answer or even no correct answer. Pointing it out and explaining why to the Chinese teachers of English did no good at all. They just kept pressing for, "Yes, but what is the correct answer?" I can tell you from first hand experience that it is no wonder the students dread those tests. They could have perfect English and not do well on the test.

The real reason that native speakers of English are needed is to expose the students to English as it is actually spoken. Both for the pronunciation and for the word usage. None of my students this semester (college level remember) have ever had a foreign teacher before. They are like my wife was when I met her, they can read and write English at least understandably, but they have a great deal of trouble with speaking or listening to English.

I just came back from Shanghai, China a few weeks ago with my fiance. I went there using the Chinese New Year as an excuse that I wanted to be there with her and her family for this very big holiday, which I really did. I was not going to go then decided to go after all as she will only enter the US for the first time once, and I really wanted to be with Lili when she did come to the US.

SF is really an easy airport for anyone coming and I am sure no one really ever has any problems. If so the majority of people there will be Chinese.

However, I can not tell you how many times in my week in Shanghai, she told me how very special and loved, she felt because I came to personally bring her to the US.

Trust me no matter what they say, they would really rather you come and get them rather then have them fly back alone...Personally with hindsight being 20- 20 I am extremely glad I did this.

I just came back from Shanghai, China a few weeks ago with my fiance.  I went there using the Chinese New Year as an excuse that I wanted to be there with her and her family for this very big holiday, which I really did.  I was not going to go then decided to go after all as she will only enter the US  for the first time once, and I really wanted to be with Lili when she did come to the US.

SF is really an easy airport for anyone coming and I am sure no one really ever has any problems.  If so the majority of people there will be Chinese.

However, I can not tell you how many times in my week in Shanghai, she told me how very special and loved, she felt because I came to personally bring her to the US.

Trust me no matter what they say, they would really rather you come and get them rather then have them fly back alone...Personally with hindsight being 20- 20 I am extremely glad I did this.

Attaboy, Bob. When are we going on that cruise to the Caymons? :lol: :lol: :lol: