USCIS messed up

We just got a letter today stating that my husband's case has been transferred to the California Service Center- Laguna Niguel, CA.

We live in Chicago!!

Why on earth would they transfer it to CA? It must be a mistake- I tried to call the 800 number on the notice- can't get a person to ask about this. GRRR!!! I'm going nuts.... anyone know how I can get a hold of a real person or why our case would have been tranferred????

The number on the sheet is 800 375 5283. Is there a different number? HELP!!!

Edited by awch (see edit history)

I just finally figured out how to get a customer service person (press the "change address key") and found out some good news. The lady said it wasn't a mistake and that it looks to her that our case was transferred to CA because my husband won't need an interview. She said she hasn't been told officially, but that this is happening more and more often- cases that look solid are being sent to processing centers with faster turn around time and are then approved through the mail.

Since I had her on the phone, I asked her about the security check- I asked if a card that is approved through the mail would still be subject to a long security check and all she said was it looks like my husband has already passed it.

So, good news for us.... and I tried to find out a little for those who are still waiting on security checks but no luck.. sorry.

Like Dean says, This is now the normal procedure. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with interview or no interview.

The paperwork must be processed by one of the Service centers, (VSC, MSC,TSC,CSC or NSC) but not neccessarily the one for your state. We live in Portland, OR. Our processing center should be NSC,Nebraska (shutter,shutter). But when I sent in Lisa's AOS, Chicago transferred it to Missouri. It has to do with their attempt to streamline the process and get rid of their backlog. Faster is better.