AOS interview

Hi all. Time is -6 days and counting to our AOS interview in L.A. **knees starting to shake**

I'll sift through all the posted requirements on the USCIS webpage to see what they say about it from their side, but I was wondering what my fellow CFL members have brought and what was asked for or looked at.

I guess my main question is are there any other required documents we need? Her vaccine supplament was submitted with the I-485.

I will bring evidence of our living together, joint checking account, utility bills in both our names and dozens of pictures of us together in different places.

First hand experiences would be appreciated! TIA <_<

Edited by cosmiclobster (see edit history)

here's form the FAQ till more comments come...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(27 Nov 2005)

Q Is the USC required to attend the AOS interview?

A.

You will get a letter for the AOS interview in the mail. You have to attend the AOS interview. If you don't go, your wife's AOS will be rejected. Bring an interpreter because you can't translate for her. Our first AOS interview was rejected because I couldn't translate for her.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(27 Nov 2005)

Q Is an interpreter necessary?

A.

The AOS appointment letter said:

"If either the petitioner or the beneficiary does not speak English, an interpreter with valid photo identification must accompany you. You may not interpret for each other."

The letter did not disqualify family members. Actually, I worried about it too. Luckily, the hispanic officer was very nice. In my opinion, woman officers tends to be more tough. In March, we had a female officer for our first AOS interview and she asked a lot of questions.

A.

After GZ AOS seemed like a cake walk for us. Unless your wife speaks perfect english I recomend taking an interpreter. When the interviewing officer explains the conditions of the green card and all the other Govt. mumbo jumbo it helps to make sure she understands. Technically you are not supposed to take a family member to translate. Some IOs are more lax than others. Ours had our translater fill out a form saying he was the translator.

(27 Nov 2005)

Q. What should be brought to the AOS interview?

A.

They sent us notice of AOS interview and the form letter said to bring the I-864 and birth certs and marriage certs and W2s and tax returnes etc etc etc. I called UCIS and asked them if this was correct that i have to bring all the things to Memphis for the I-485 interview that I had jsut sent to Memphis for the I-485 interview-yup I do.

A.

I brought all that stuff to my AOS interview and the lady asked me what I brought it for. They only wonted to see me drivers license.

(27 Nov 2005)

Q. What will occur at the AOS interview?

A.

First he swore us in. Then he asked me for our passports, about my present job, marriage certificate and 2003 tax return. He also asked me if this was my first marriage and if we had any baby. Then he asked my wife a few questions (Did you ever collect public assistance; Did you ever come to this country illegally; Did you ever get deported; Did you ever commit any crimes). Afterwards, he photocopied the passports and he told my wife she did really well in the interview. Then he stamped her passport and said this will be her temp green card until her real temp green card arrives in the mail in 6 months. He also said she can work and leave the country now. We thank him and that was it.

A.

The VO will ask the same questions from the I-485 (ex: Did you ever try to come to this country illegally? Did you ever get arrested?). Also, the officer didn't even ask for her medical envelope from the Civil Surgeon. He did ask my wife to recite our home phone number which she always forgot.

Bring evrytyhing that you ahve already ubmitted ti UCIS for the AOS interview. Thats what UCIS told me when I cllled them. They said that way if they ahve lost something--you will have it. all they asked us for was recent 1040 and proof of relationship--pictures and a void check etc...

Take an up-to-date I-864 w/ evidence. Take some pics., utility bills with her name on it, (if possible). basically what's called for on the appointment letter.

And as others have said; don't sweat it. The worst that could happen is what I have been reading about here on the FBI namecheck delay/post AOS but I put my money down on her getting the I-551 stamp and the registration card in the mail several days later.

best to you both :)