I'm bringing her back wiht me at the end of chinese new year.

Anyways, we're talking about knives. She says she wants to buy a "cleaver" type knife for normal cutting.

Well, over the years I have an array of both 4 star (and not 4 star) henckel knifes. Sadly none of them are a chef's knife.

My mother just sent me a 4 star Santoku knife.

What's the best suggestion? Should I order up a matching cleaver? Or we should buy a nice knife what she likes in China so she can see what she likes when she comes here?

I always choose the smallest knife I can to chop things, vegetables go very fast with wrist action. I've watched her and her mother chop and it seems extremely inefficient to me with that big huge knife they use.

I guess I'm asking what suggestion for that then ?

Edited by bnolsen (see edit history)

Just my two cents when buying knives. The most important thing to keep in mind when purchasing a knife is that it feels good in your hand. Does it have a good balance. Do you feel comfortable holding it. Some people like a 12 inch or longer chef knife and some like a 10 inch chef knife or smaller. Remember it is what she feels most comfortable using. So if she is comfortable with a cleaver...then I would suggest letting her stay with that. I had a chef instructor back when I was in Culinary school. (thats when Washington cross the Delaware), who was Chinese and was from Shanghai. With a cleaver she could take a whole chicken, (without the feathers), and fabricate and debone the whole thing in less than two minutes. So here again, it is what one feels most comfortable with. Finally, I would suggest you look at the safety features of the knife or cleaver. Such as, can it hold a good edge and does the tang goes through the handle. Me personally, I enjoy a smaller and a lighter weight chef knife versus a longer or shorter heavier knife. I hope some of this can help you two decide what would be best. :D

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)

Richard was that a tunnel debone (all parts intact) or cut up? Our boners at the poultry company must do at least 65#/hr of boneless breast. we use a 5 1/2 inch straight boning knife. I always used a 5 1/2 inch curved semiflex for pork lions. For steak cutting I liked a 12" narrow forschner.

At home I do everything with two knives. A 10" broad (use it like a cleaver) and a 5 1/2 inch boning knife. With these two I can make anything. The important thing is whatever you use keep it sharp.

She says she wants to buy a "cleaver" type knife for normal cutting.

179517[/snapback]

Yeah - I think you have all the advice you need right here.

179520[/snapback]

I agree! She already told you. Why are you asking us? Get with the program and prepare for training. It will be coming sooner than you think. Resistance is futile.

Guest pushbrk

179517[/snapback]

179520[/snapback]

I agree! She already told you. Why are you asking us? Get with the program and prepare for training. It will be coming sooner than you think. Resistance is futile.

179580[/snapback]

Or...NOT. I want you to just buy her the knife YOU think she should be using explain to her how much better it will be than a cleaver. While you're at it, let her know that since she's now in the USA, things will be done like they are in the USA from now on.

Please report back on your success. :D

Guest pushbrk
OOOOOOOOhhhhhhhh Mike!!!!!!!! Do you look for the nearest stick whenever you spot a hornets nest? :o  :rolleyes:

179643[/snapback]

Do I look stupid? Don't answer that. However, when I'm at a safe distance and I see somebody swinging a mop handle, I'll point then at any nearby hornet's nest for the entertainment value. :o

Edited by pushbrk (see edit history)

179517[/snapback]

179520[/snapback]

179580[/snapback]

Or...NOT. I want you to just buy her the knife YOU think she should be using explain to her how much better it will be than a cleaver. While you're at it, let her know that since she's now in the USA, things will be done like they are in the USA from now on.

Please report back on your success. :lol:

179636[/snapback]

good idea!!! maybe a plastic knife. they don't hurt as much as the mop hehe

OOOOOOOOhhhhhhhh Mike!!!!!!!! Do you look for the nearest stick whenever you spot a hornets nest? :o  :lol:

179643[/snapback]

Do I look stupid? Don't answer that. However, when I'm at a safe distance and I see somebody swinging a mop handle, I'll point then at any nearby hornet's nest for the entertainment value. <_<

179648[/snapback]

;) :rolleyes: :Dah: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

Well I'll tell ya. If you're gonna spit bones on the table like a pro ya gotta get a heavy duty butcher block. I'm not talking about some whimpy little glued up cutting board but something at least 3 inchs thick with the end grain on top. Take her to your local Chinese store where they sell kitchen utensils and let her pick out her own meat cleaver. My wife has two. One little whimpy one for vegetables and another heavy one that could be used for criminal justice procedings in Saudi Arabia. Like Chef4u pointed out it's what feels comfortable in her hand and that is likely to be one made in China she is used to using.

Richard was that a tunnel debone (all parts intact) or cut up? Our boners at the poultry company must do at least 65#/hr of boneless breast. we use a 5 1/2 inch straight boning knife. I always used a 5 1/2 inch curved semiflex for pork lions. For steak cutting I liked a 12" narrow forschner.

At home I do everything with two knives. A 10" broad (use it like a cleaver) and a 5 1/2 inch boning knife. With these two I can make anything. The important thing is whatever you use keep it sharp.

179579[/snapback]

yeah..it was all intact. The amazing thing about it was the skill she had using the cleaver. It was poetry in motion.

I use a 8" AF Dick chef knife that I had since my days at CIA (Culinary Institute of America) and a 5 1/2 boning knife as well. I do not use a serrated knife for any bread or veggies cuts. Like you the only two knives I use is a chef and boning knife.

Just my two cents when buying knives.  The most important thing to keep in mind when purchasing a knife is that it feels good in your hand.  Does it have a good balance.  Do you feel comfortable holding it.  Some people like a 12 inch or longer chef knife and some like a 10 inch chef knife or smaller.  Remember it is what she feels most comfortable using.  So if she is comfortable with a cleaver...then I would suggest letting her stay with that.  I had a chef instructor back when I was in Culinary school. (thats when Washington cross the Delaware), who was Chinese and was from Shanghai.  With a cleaver she could take a whole chicken, (without the feathers), and fabricate and debone the whole thing in less than two minutes.  So here again, it is what one feels most comfortable with.  Finally, I would suggest you look at the safety features of the knife or cleaver.  Such as, can it hold a good edge and does the tang goes through the handle. Me personally, I enjoy a smaller and a lighter weight chef knife versus a longer or shorter heavier knife.  I hope some of this can help you two decide what would be best. :lol:

179563[/snapback]

Chefy dude--I in no way wish to usurp your expertise (although I have yet to taste your culinary magic) I agree 100% -if it feels good use it. Having said that lemme tell ya that I'm no novice when it comes to cutting, boning and chopping. I've butchered sheep (yes I said sheep), goats, deer, bore, buzzard, bear and wild turkey, even a couple ex CFler who pissed me off (oops, didn't mean to give that info away-please disregard, they'll show up eventually).

Any way, I had a large collection of skinning and boning and filleting knives until wifey took me clever shopping. Now do keep in mind that the old mop slingin' Chinese woman to whom I am currently wed, may be the cheapest human being (I use the term advisedly) that ever skinned a cat. Well ole cheapy Mop Ling herself would settle for no less than a mid sized cleaver that cost in the $100 dollar range. I knew something was up as she would renounce me and all she holds near and dear in order not to spend a C note.

I got that rascal home and removed it from the dreaded plastic sealed thingy--promptly got stitched up and set to usin' this oriental toothpick she 'had to have'. Long story short--I now use it to skin and butcher deer, fillet fish, chop veggies, chop meat for sausage, peal 'taters, shave my legs and chase away the neighbors goofy kids.

If i could only have one knife it would damned sure be that cleaver. I just wish i could get all my fingers back!

Just my two cents when buying knives.  The most important thing to keep in mind when purchasing a knife is that it feels good in your hand.  Does it have a good balance.  Do you feel comfortable holding it.  Some people like a 12 inch or longer chef knife and some like a 10 inch chef knife or smaller.  Remember it is what she feels most comfortable using.  So if she is comfortable with a cleaver...then I would suggest letting her stay with that.  I had a chef instructor back when I was in Culinary school. (thats when Washington cross the Delaware), who was Chinese and was from Shanghai.  With a cleaver she could take a whole chicken, (without the feathers), and fabricate and debone the whole thing in less than two minutes.  So here again, it is what one feels most comfortable with.  Finally, I would suggest you look at the safety features of the knife or cleaver.  Such as, can it hold a good edge and does the tang goes through the handle. Me personally, I enjoy a smaller and a lighter weight chef knife versus a longer or shorter heavier knife.  I hope some of this can help you two decide what would be best. :lol:

179563[/snapback]

Chefy dude--I in no way wish to usurp your expertise (although I have yet to taste your culinary magic) I agree 100% -if it feels good use it. Having said that lemme tell ya that I'm no novice when it comes to cutting, boning and chopping. I've butchered sheep (yes I said sheep), goats, deer, bore, buzzard, bear and wild turkey, even a couple ex CFler who pissed me off (oops, didn't mean to give that info away-please disregard, they'll show up eventually).

Any way, I had a large collection of skinning and boning and filleting knives until wifey took me clever shopping. Now do keep in mind that the old mop slingin' Chinese woman to whom I am currently wed, may be the cheapest human being (I use the term advisedly) that ever skinned a cat. Well ole cheapy Mop Ling herself would settle for no less than a mid sized cleaver that cost in the $100 dollar range. I knew something was up as she would renounce me and all she holds near and dear in order not to spend a C note.

I got that rascal home and removed it from the dreaded plastic sealed thingy--promptly got stitched up and set to usin' this oriental toothpick she 'had to have'. Long story short--I now use it to skin and butcher deer, fillet fish, chop veggies, chop meat for sausage, peal 'taters, shave my legs and chase away the neighbors goofy kids.

If i could only have one knife it would damned sure be that cleaver. I just wish i could get all my fingers back!

179687[/snapback]

Trigg...I guess that was my point in what ever feels good in your hand. Now, please don't go there with that comment I just wrote or this will get moved to another place. But, I can not resist commenting on the use of the cleaver for the legs. I have been using a little pairing knife for those delicate usages :rolleyes: