I used the FC-029 during the AOS process. It's an old probably obsolete form that was used when USCIS (then INS) was switching over to allow ordinary copies of documents rather than originals or certified copies. I didn't bother during the I-129 process since virtually all of the documents (birth certificates, etc.) were originals or certified copies, and I made up my own certification for the copies of the tax returns that went with the I-134 rather than using the FC-029. Since it is an USCIS form, I didn't think would have done any good when dealing with the Department of State.

I filed a FC-029 and included the exact verbage in my cover letter for the I-129F as well. It is an obsolete form, but it is mentioned occaisionally. I am a 'belt-and-suspenders' kinda guy, and I think I WOULD carry a knife to gun fight. They don't run out of bullets.... :D

-James

Guest pushbrk
HHmm.....So,my original birth certificate (and the such) should be made readily available for my SO if asked for at interview(?),and an afidavit/statement (notorized ofcourse) from me concerning validity of my documents is suffice?

179543[/snapback]

I would just put the wording indicating the documents are either originals or exact photocopies (whatever the exact wording from the form is) in my cover letter. You don't need to notarize a cover letter. The only thing to be notarized are documents that were translated by a certified translator. The statement should also indicate you understand you may be required to produce the originals at a later date.

If you have enough certified/notarized copies, go ahead and include them instead of photocopies if you wish. It can't hurt UNLESS you mail them your last original and don't have another available to produce at the interview.

Things like your own birth certificate and divorce decrees do not need to be actual certified copies. Photocopies of the certified copy are fine.

Even the statement about exact photocopies is belt and suspenders but it doesn't hurt.

Key issue is your statement about photocopies does not need to be notarized. Notarizing it serves no purpose. They will assume you are the person who signed the letter and sent in the forms and check because there's no reason for anybody else to do such a thing.