They are Here...

My SO and her daughter are finally here. I am starting to freak out, not knowing what my next move should be (paperwork and forms and application-wise). To make matters even more confusing, we are the middle of relocating from FL to SC. I am moving to near Charlotte, NC and hope I can find sources there for me to draw upon for help.

As background, we are not married yet but have set a Feb 18th date so friends and family can attend. I know the AOS is to follow soon, but only after marriage, right? Plus SS#, the daughter wants to get a job while (or if) she attends school, etc.

Any input will be helpful from you guys. Thanks for your support.

Fred

My SO and her daughter are finally here.  I am starting to freak out, not knowing what my next move should be (paperwork and forms and application-wise).  To make matters even more confusing, we are the middle of relocating from FL to SC.  I am moving to near Charlotte, NC and hope I can find sources there for me to draw upon for help. 

As background, we are not married yet but have set a Feb 18th date so friends and family can attend.  I know the AOS is to follow soon, but only after marriage, right?  Plus SS#, the daughter wants to get a job while (or if) she attends school, etc.

Any input will be helpful from you guys.  Thanks for your support. 

Fred

177785[/snapback]

Congrats..

One thing to consider as Randy mentioned is what two more deductions could do to your taxes this year. Another thought is keep the Feb 18th date for the family, but have another legal justice of the peace wedding. This way you could get the AOS started earlier and some extra money to help pay for the Feb 18th gig.

My SO and her daughter are finally here.  I am starting to freak out, not knowing what my next move should be (paperwork and forms and application-wise).  To make matters even more confusing, we are the middle of relocating from FL to SC.  I am moving to near Charlotte, NC and hope I can find sources there for me to draw upon for help. 

As background, we are not married yet but have set a Feb 18th date so friends and family can attend.  I know the AOS is to follow soon, but only after marriage, right?  Plus SS#, the daughter wants to get a job while (or if) she attends school, etc.

Any input will be helpful from you guys.  Thanks for your support. 

Fred

177785[/snapback]

Congrats..

One thing to consider as Randy mentioned is what two more deductions could do to your taxes this year. Another thought is keep the Feb 18th date for the family, but have another legal justice of the peace wedding. This way you could get the AOS started earlier and some extra money to help pay for the Feb 18th gig.

177817[/snapback]

maybe not two more deductions. For certain things the stepdaughter/son may need to be what IRS considres a PRC which includes 183 days living in US but does not include PRC status from UCIS???????? The 1,000 dollars child tax credit needs the above criteria--not sure about a regular deduction.

Welcome to the family. It's a pain to have to try to factor taxes in when getting married. Do what you think is in your best interests (emotionally and financially). Enjoy the holidays with your new family and worry about AOS and the next phases after you guys get married. In other words, HAVE FUN now that they're here.