AOS/EAD/AP filing separately

I wanted to start a thread if anyone can share experiences on filing AOS/EAD/AP separately for specific reasons or advantages.

---

Since I filed EAD after AOS, I did notice a few issues...particularly since I filed it e-file.

One issue that has been thrown around is whether it is faster to file separately... here is what I noticed about e-filing that could be of benefit.

If you file everything together, many are reporting getting a NOA1 stating to wait for USCIS to make the biometric appointment and they cannot get one even if they call.

Since I filed EAD after, online, I got my NOA for EAD... I noticed the date is stamped as same day of e-filing. But the NOA stated that I could not setup my appointment, but should wait for the I-485 to do this...

If you e-filing, you get your biometric immediately... and your in the EAD queue based on that date (I was told this on the phone)... although some will argue that it is a second trip for biometric.

Here is one thought, particularly if you know your area is very slow: File I-485 alone. When you get the NOA, then e-file EAD immediately. [You wait to have valid proof of AOS pending status]. Now you can get your biometrics for both immediately by using the EAD appointment.

Initially we were going to efile EAD but when I went to hand deliver the I-485 packet (which I couldn't do) the woman told me it's better to file the whole AOS packet together. So we ended up sending everything in together.

My husband got his biometrics appt for both EAD and AOS only 6 days after recieving the NOA1. We'll see how fast the EAD card comes.

our experience seems a little different from the one you mentioned, david. initially we tried to file all 3 (aos, ead, and ap) simultaneously, but missed a check box on the ead app. and the return everything and said try again. at this point, it was as if we filed aos alone and waited for the aos receipt to file ead.

so we got everything together for the ead and resent it. and later got the noa. both our aos and ead receipt said "wait for us to schedule your biometrics". we waited and eventually got the biometrics appointment. we got two notices, one for aos and one for ead. even though we got two notices they were the same appointment: same place, same time.

maybe i am mistaken, but this was a little different from your experience right?

our experience seems a little different from the one you mentioned, david. initially we tried to file all 3 (aos, ead, and ap) simultaneously, but missed a check box on the ead app. and the return everything and said try again. at this point, it was as if we filed aos alone and waited for the aos receipt to file ead.

so we got everything together for the ead and resent it. and later got the noa. both our aos and ead receipt said "wait for us to schedule your biometrics". we waited and eventually got the biometrics appointment. we got two notices, one for aos and one for ead. even though we got two notices they were the same appointment: same place, same time.

maybe i am mistaken, but this was a little different from your experience right?

177674[/snapback]

interesting..

yes different mainly due to my 'e-filing'... where you can get the biometric prior to the NOA1...

although some will argue that it is a second trip for biometric.

177626[/snapback]

Some might argue this point, but if you read the paperwork carefully it will state in the "What to bring section: All I-797C's you have received pertaining to this application".

We never made an appointment for her EAD biometrics. I had made a mistake on the EAD application and received an RFE. The I-797C for it was received just a week before her AOS biometric appointment. The letter instructed to make an appointment, but had the same bring all instructions. Took them all on the day of her appointment and they processed all without question.

177626[/snapback]

Some might argue this point, but if you read the paperwork carefully it will state in the "What to bring section: All I-797C's you have received pertaining to this application".

We never made an appointment for her EAD biometrics. I had made a mistake on the EAD application and received an RFE. The I-797C for it was received just a week before her AOS biometric appointment. The letter instructed to make an appointment, but had the same bring all instructions. Took them all on the day of her appointment and they processed all without question.

177741[/snapback]

We filed our AOS and EAD paper application together. I thought about efiliing for the EAD, but in the end just mailed out paper applications for both.

Anyway, my wife's EAD was approved on 12/6/05, and she received her EAD card (valid for 1 year) a couple weeks ago. It took about 7-8 weeks for her EAD to be approved which is too bad since we are in NYC area.

Edited by john90 (see edit history)

177626[/snapback]

177741[/snapback]

We filed our AOS and EAD paper application together. I thought about efiliing for the EAD, but in the end just mailed out paper applications for both.

Anyway, my wife's EAD was approved on 12/6/05, and she received her EAD card (valid for 1 year) a couple weeks ago. It took about 7-8 weeks for her EAD to be approved which is too bad since we are in NYC area.

178124[/snapback]

If you had e-filed EAD, you could of gotten the biometric for EAD immediately.. and do you think that your approval would of been sooner?

Hard to know if just because someone can get biometric earlier if this really has any affect... there must be a pile one sits in regardless before you get the card...