EAD filing after AOS

I'll make this a part II question; any filing issues to be aware of and is this list below correct?

Here is what I have for filing in the FAQ:

Q. When filing for EAD, which category do I choose?

A.

1. I-765 Form- Application for Employment Authorization

2. A check covering payment

3. Two passport photos

4. Photocopy of both sides of I-94

A.

If you are filing for the EAD with the AOS or after you filed for AOS, your category is ( c )(9). If after, include receipt notice that I-485 is pending.

If you are filing for the EAD before you file for AOS, your category is either (a)(6) for K-1/K-2 or (a)(9) for K-3/K-4.

A.

EAD Fee: (as of Oct 26, 2005)

I-765... Application for Employment Authorization. $180

I think you may have to go back.

For my wife's forms today, both the I-797C for her I-485 and her I-765 were stamped with the same stamp, but were signed in different areas.

On the I-797C for the I-765 (EAD), the stamp is signed in the area that reads, "Biometrics QA Reviewed By:" (Number and Date)

On the I-797C for the I-485 (AOS), the stamp is signed in the area that reads, "TENPRINT QA Reviewed By:" (Number and Date)

I asked if this was intentional and the woman said that this is how it should be done. Take it for what it's worth.

Just got back from biometrics yesterday (Alexandria,), and was told that fingerprinting is required, and yes you will have to go back.

In my case, I had both forms with me, but they only gave the paperwork to me for the AOS. I asked the supervisor if we could get ead done at the same time, and he said yes. If I had not asked, we would have been making a second trip. We had not yet received the appointment letter from the EAD, so they told us they would do it early, and just ignore the appointment letter when it arrived.

Glad I asked some questions.

Dean

OK, further to my posting in the other thread, I think I see how one should decide whether to file for EAD concurrently with the I-485 at the national lockbox in Chicago, or if one should file the I-485 first and then file the EAD separately locally.

The National Benefits Center is now processing EAD with receipt dates of September 22.

Our local office where we would have filed EAD had we done it separately is now processing EAD with receipt dates of October 19. (Note, this is for Saint Paul, MN - find your local office at https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp)

Really wish we'd filed separately now ... Anyway, when filing, maybe compare the two processing times and see which is faster. This is really, really a backward system.

Edit: The National Center does distinguish I-765 that were processed together with I-485 (©(9) ... most of us ...) from other employment authorization applications ... not sure if this makes a difference either.

Edited by NY-Viking (see edit history)
Why do you need an EAD if your green card should be along soon. Or does it take a long time to get the green card where you are? Would the time to get an EAD be shorter?

176029[/snapback]

Take a look at the timelines on the service processing centers (national and local), BUT, from just our receipt notices, green card takes 6-9 (more likely 10) months or so, EAD 1-3 months; and if your EAD isn't issued after 3 months, you can get a temporary one for free.

So yes, much shorter.

Why do you need an EAD if your green card should be along soon. Or does it take a long time to get the green card where you are? Would the time to get an EAD be shorter?

176029[/snapback]

Take a look at the timelines on the service processing centers (national and local), BUT, from just our receipt notices, green card takes 6-9 (more likely 10) months or so, EAD 1-3 months; and if your EAD isn't issued after 3 months, you can get a temporary one for free.

So yes, much shorter.

176032[/snapback]

That initial filing payment for EAD doesn't make the temporary one feel free :P

176029[/snapback]

My understanding for MA: EAD is 1-3 months; GC is 10-12...

176133[/snapback]

Good point ...

It always pisses me off when I hear some offer on TV saying "You get this free when you buy ..." No, you don't get it free. You get both as a package for one price.

Anyway, I meant at no additional charge ... :)

Maybe people just getting ready to start the process should look at where things move the fastest and relocate there! We did not file for an EAD as we had better things to do when she first got here than to have her go to work. The green card only took a couple of months. In Co.

176245[/snapback]

I assume that was before everything had to be sent to the National Benefits Center (Chicago Lockbox).

Now they've streamlined everything into an efficient system where we all get to wait longer.