Your Welcome

All I hear in the Chongqing area is bu young xie ... but maybe that's because my Mandarin is so terrible.

I was talking with lao po tonight and she was wearing a turtleneck sweater. When I explained what it was called in English she didn't know the word "turtle" ... so I looked it up in the dictionary and told her "wu gui". "What?" she said. So I said it several times with slightly different pronounciation ... no clue. As is my standard practice at this point I Googled "turtle" and selected a photo of a turtle, turned the webcam to the screen to show her and she said ... "Oh, wu gui!" Aiiiiyah! It sounded just like the way I said it the first time! Mandarin pronounciation is sure challenging!

BuKeQi means: don't mention it; no problem; you are welcome; my pleasure...

Man Zou is more like: take care; drive safely (man kai)...

Be careful with "Wu Gui" (sometimes it's followed by "Wang Ba Dan/SOB"...it could be an offensive cursing word in Chinese

wifeey says bu keqi--means you are very welcome.

173706[/snapback]

Huh? "Bu" is always a negative, no, or not as far as I understand it. So it must mean something like "no problem".

Can you clarify Trigg?

Jim is always trying to learn

173745[/snapback]

Bu keqi literally means, "don't be polite", or "don't stand on formality"... fairly close to bu yong xie "no need [to] thank"...

but understood as "your welcome"... seems we loose the real meaning in translation... and a clue as to why they don't say 'thank you' as much as we do...

• 1 month later...
Pet peeve here: Or "excuse me" after they have stepped on your foot 4-5 times in the shopping check-out line???

Don't seem to do it for whether lo wei or Chinese in Shanghai. Asked my wife how to say "excuse me" for this situation and got that blank stare.

173790[/snapback]

bu4 ke4 qu4 (pinyin) ²»±Ø¿ÍÆø

used to say you are welcome but literally means:

Does not need to be polite

excuse me is something else: to find out go to MDBG free on-line Chinese dictionary and you will get all the answers you need.

Also consider signing up with meetup.com and look for a Chinese language study group.

Pet peeve here: Or "excuse me" after they have stepped on your foot 4-5 times in the shopping check-out line???

Don't seem to do it for whether lo wei or Chinese in Shanghai. Asked my wife how to say "excuse me" for this situation and got that blank stare.

173790[/snapback]

bu4 ke4 qu4 (pinyin) ²»±Ø¿ÍÆø

excuse me is something else: to find out go to MDBG free on-line Chinese dictionary and you will get all the answers you need.

Also consider signing up with meetup.com and look for a Chinese language study group.

183520[/snapback]

to say excuse me one says, dui4 bu5 qi3 ¶Ô²»Æð it means: I'm sorry / pardon me / forgive me; and is pronounced something like:

do-we boo chee. and you say dui and bu fast because they are in the 4th (& 5th) tone and qi you say it slow (falling and rising) because it is

the 3rd tone.

173790[/snapback]

bu4 ke4 qu4 (pinyin) ~{2;1X?MFx~}

183520[/snapback]

did you mean for the four characters to pronounced as well: 'bu bi ke qu' ?

I had learned that 'bu ke qi' is enough...

Be careful with "Wu Gui" (sometimes it's followed by "Wang Ba Dan/SOB"...it could be an offensive cursing word in Chinese

173763[/snapback]

"Wu gui wang ba dan" is my favorite chinese curse! In literature, it's often translated to "son of a drunken turtle". I can't wait till I get an opportunity to use it :P