SO¡¯s Chinese Passport Notarization

I would like to have my SO's Chinese passport notarized for W-7 (IRS ITIN). Can we do it at U.S. Consulate in Shanghai, and how? 

Thank you very much!

173214[/snapback]

I just returned from China and brought with me my wife's Chinese passport. I immediately had her passport notarized here in the U.S. and mailed it back by U.S. Express Mail.

If you want the American Consulate to notarize it, then I read somewhere that she has to go the American Consulate in China. I am not sure whether the Consulate would let her in without you being there. She can call the Consulate and ask the question herself.

Paul

Edited by Stone (see edit history)
I would like to have my SO's Chinese passport notarized for W-7 (IRS ITIN). Can we do it at U.S. Consulate in Shanghai, and how??

Thank you very much!

173214[/snapback]

I just returned from China and brought with me my wife's Chinese passport. I immediately had her passport notarized here in the U.S. and mailed it back by U.S. Express Mail.

If you want the American Consulate to notarize it, then I read somewhere that she has to go the American Consulate in China. I am not sure whether the Consulate would let her in without you being there. She can call the Consulate and ask the question herself.

Paul

173252[/snapback]

It might be a good idea of when you make a copy of the passport to print on the top of the page:

TRUE COPY OF PASSPORT ISSUED TO _____________

And at the bottom of the page below the image:

I___________ ON _______________ DO CERTIFY THAT THE ABOVE DOCUMENT IS A TRUE COPY. MY COMMISSION EXPIRES ON ____________.

SIGNATURE OF NOTARY ___________________.

The consulate cannot Notarize her chineese document, I just asked when I was there. She has to go home, get a notarized copy from her lacal gov. Then return to the consulate with the copy. I was trying to accomplish the same thing. The US consulate sent me down to the 4th floor of the Guz building to the Chineese public affairs office. They told us the above information.

Pain in the keester,uh ;)

Thank you, guys!

I will bring my SO's passport back, get it notarized in the States, and do it as suggested by Carl.

:blink:

173312[/snapback]

That is the best to do. When I first inquired with the IRS, they told me that copy of your SO's passport needs to be notarized by a US notary. They did tell me that you could send the original with the W-7 and they would send it back, but I did not want to chance it. Just take the original and copy to the notary so they can see the two are the same. When I sent my 1040, the W-7 for my wife and the copy of her passport, I had no trouble getting my refund.

I had to get my SO's passport notarized for tax purposes last year and we went to the US consulate. They instead said that there was no need to actually get it notarized - instead they wanted to see her original passport, then they made a copy of it and put a consulate stamp on the copies which said something along the lines of 'original seen and returned' - then it was signed by the consular officer. It was sufficient for us to do the W-7. I asked several times if it needed to be notarized and they kept stressing that the consular stamp was sufficient - it also didn't cost us anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Will the IRS accept the notarized copy of my SO's Chinese passport that is notarized in China (other than notarized by US consulate)?

I talked to my bank here the other day, the notary public at the bank will not notarize anything that doesn't have the printed notarization section.

Thanks for your advice...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you very much for all your input and help.

I went to U.S. Consulate in Shanghai on 01-05-06, and told a nice lady what I wanted. The lady copied my SO's Chinese passport (the page with picture, name, and passport number), and stamped it with "Original Seen and Returned". It's free of charge...:D

I went to U.S. Consulate in Shanghai on 01-05-06, and told a nice lady what I wanted. The lady copied my SO's Chinese passport (the page with picture, name, and passport number), and stamped it with "Original Seen and Returned". It's free of charge...:D

181257[/snapback]

FREE!! The US Embassy charged my wife $30.00 for each passport.

I went to U.S. Consulate in Shanghai on 01-05-06, and told a nice lady what I wanted. The lady copied my SO's Chinese passport (the page with picture, name, and passport number), and stamped it with "Original Seen and Returned". It's free of charge...:blink:

181257[/snapback]

Will this also work for my own passport? When I come again next month for her interview, I need a notarized/certified copy of my own passport, and I want to be sure they have the visa stamp for that visit.

I assume the USCON Shanghai will do the same?