Staying at a friends house

I am flying to taiyuan on Dec. 6th.I will stay at a friend of my fiancee,s house.He lives alone. Liping will stay at her sisters house.Does anyone know the proper procedure for registering at the local police station and does it have to be done right away?

I do not want to get into trouble by doing the wrong thing. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks and have a good day.

After I get back from China we will start the K-1 visa process.

Paul

Geez, I don't know what tell you. I never registered with them the three times I went over.

171635[/snapback]

Agreed. I have beeen there 12 times, three of which were over 45 days. I have registered just once. That was on the most recent trip I took to the Nepal area.

If you want to do it properly, this is how it's done in Shanghai:

Go to the district police station(¾¯²ìÊð), carry your passport, and fill out a "Registration Form of Temporary Residence" (Printed by Bureau of Exit-Entry Administration, Shanghai Municipal Public Security Bureau). Often times, the police will check the houseowner's ID card, and record their phone number.

On the form, you are requested to supply information including name, sex, country, date of birth, address in home country, date of entry, type of travel document (i.e.,Passport USA), No. of travel document, port of entry, type of visa, date of visa expiry, address in Shanghai, houseowner's name, relation to houseowner, purpose of stay, arrival date for accomodation, duration of stay, where from/where to, contact tel., etc.

You are supposed to do this registration within a couple of days of your entry to China. For example, my husband lived in China, he registered every time he did a short travel to HK, even for a day trip. This document wasn't seem useful unless you apply for a extension of visa or apply for a new visa in China. However, if you don't have it, you will be in trouble when you get caught (haven't heard such thing yet though).

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)

When I travelled in China. Sometimes I would register at the hotels, sometimes she did. If she was staying with me the hotel never asked for my passport to register. If she did not stay with me they insisted on registering my passport.

As with most things in China it appears you do what you are told. If no one tells you then don't bother. If the police hear or are interested that a foreigner is in their district they will visit you. Then you can register. Until then, why bother.

If you don't register.. and then something comes up which gets the police asking where you are staying, etc.. get ready to fork over the fine and fill out the registration paperwork anyway.

The chances are probably slim for anything to come up... but I'd be considerate of staying at someone's place and avoid any issues...