B-2 Tourist Visas

Dear all,

I am a newly joined member to the site. I have really enjoyed reading all your posts, which have provided valuable insights.

I am currently living in Shanghai with my Chinese wife, and working here to pass the time until her visa goes through (you know how it goes).

Just on a long shot I thought I would try to help her get a tourist visa so that we can try to spend Christmas with my family in the States. Unfortunately, I started reading the posts on CFL concerning this subject a little late, and have already paid for the b-2 interview.

Although I know prospects are far from good, I have assembled quite a bit of supporting materials, including: Notarized letter of invitation from my parents, Affidavit of Support for Travel expenses (notarized), bank account documentation, home mortgage for her house here, contract with my company, and eight days leave letter authorized by my company.

I'm keeping high hopes, but still I know the realities here. I have heard many of you mention that a rejection of the B-2 will come up in the GZ interview later on. I don't think this b-2 rejection would be big deal, given the clear documentation that could be presented showing that the visit was just for Christmas. But, I am just wondering if anyone can offer a definitive answer on this topic...any stories of b-2 visa application negatively affecting their interview in GZ? If not, I say why not give it a try?

Can You please give Us some more information

Have you sent in the Application for your K-3 ViSA OR ARE YOU GOING ANOTHER ROUTE ?

MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE VISA PROCESS IS THAT IF YOU HAVE ALREADY APPLIED FOR A K-3 THEN YOU HAVE A ZERO CHANCE OF SUCCESS WITH THE B-2 TOURIST VISA.

YOU WILL GET MORE OF AN EXPERT ANSWER FROM ONE OF OUR TRUE VISA EXPERTS SOON

Can You please give Us some more information

Have you sent in the Application for your K-3  ViSA OR ARE YOU GOING ANOTHER ROUTE ?

MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE VISA PROCESS IS THAT IF YOU HAVE ALREADY APPLIED FOR A K-3 THEN YOU HAVE A ZERO CHANCE OF SUCCESS  WITH THE B-2 TOURIST VISA.

YOU WILL GET MORE OF AN EXPERT ANSWER FROM ONE OF OUR TRUE VISA EXPERTS SOON

171345[/snapback]

I believe this is correct, with any K1 or K3 the B2 will be denied.

Technically I believe it's not an automatic denial. The problem is showing "strong ties" and overwhelming evidence that your fiancee will return. It sounds as if you may have some pretty compelling points, particularly with your employment contract in China.

On the other hand, the USG knows that all you need to do is "change your mind", get married in the US, hire a good immigration lawyer, and the odds are pretty good that she will eventually wind up with a green card.

I've also not seen anyone report here that they have been successful in getting a visit visa of any kind after having filed for a K1 or K3.

Technically I believe it's not an automatic denial.  The problem is showing "strong ties" and overwhelming evidence that your fiancee will return.  It sounds as if you may have some pretty compelling points, particularly with your employment contract in China.

On the other hand, the USG knows that all you need to do is "change your mind", get married in the US, hire a good immigration lawyer, and the odds are pretty good that she will eventually wind up with a green card.

I've also not seen anyone report here that they have been successful in getting a visit visa of any kind after having filed for a K1 or K3.

171351[/snapback]

Well, since we are already married, and the K-3 paperwork has been filed. The consulate will know.

The issue is more that I have already paid for the interview, so I think its worth a shot.

Why question isn't really related to the likelihood of success. I am more wondering if anyone that has previously applied for b-2, has found that this caused trouble at any point if the application process...especially interview? Any horror stories? If it doesn't hurt the application at all, then by all means I think I should try for the tourist visa.

The application for a tourist visa will not have an impact on your K-3. If you can get it, by all means use it.

171426[/snapback]

You're right, Don. It won't have an impact on the K3 process because DOS and immigrations will see to it that it won't.

It's a slim chance that it will succeed. It kind of like mixing apples and oranges but there has been a couple of success stories in recent times than ever before in the past of a young Chinese woman getting the tourist visa. Before, it was never heard of and next to impossible.

It's worth a try, sure. But don't get your hopes up too high just in case she gets a rejection stamp in the back of her passport.

-good luck

In one of the earlier posts about over staying the greencard while here in the US, Frank mentioned that marraige was the only "forgivable" excuse for overstaying the greencard.

If she were to get here on the tourist visa, there would be nothing keeping her from staying in the US since your already technically married.

(I thought b-2 was the business visa, that required sponsorship.)

Makes sense... She could be a threat to national security with a tourist visa, but not with the K. kidding.

In one of the earlier posts about over staying the greencard while here in the US, Frank mentioned that marraige was the only "forgivable" excuse for overstaying the greencard.

If she were to get here on the tourist visa, there would be nothing keeping her from staying in the US since your already technically married.

(I thought b-2 was the business visa, that required sponsorship.)

Makes sense... She could be a threat to national security with a tourist visa, but not with the K.  kidding.

171630[/snapback]

B-1 is business (not sponsored - that is H-1), B-2 is visitor's, either that or vice-versa.