Police Report & Birth Certificate

This website is great! I've been saving my first post for my biggest Challenge.

My fiancée lives in Shanghai, but she is from LuZhou (Sichuan Province). We’ve been told she needs to get her birth certificate in Sichuan, but once this is retrieved, where can we get the Official English Translation (I’ve been told it comes in a white “booklet”, true?)?

We’ve also been told that she needs to get a “police report” from each city she has lived in. Where in Shanghai can we get this? And would a small town like LuZhou understand what it is we need? Do these police reports need to be translated too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In Shanghai, my SO went to the govt notary office. Start there and they will give her some instructions about everything.

She can call the police dept to find which dept to get the police record, and can get her birth cert from the notary. I had her get 5 copies of her birth because she will likely need it again in the US.

For the single cert there is another govt office where she can get a certified copy saying she has not had a marriage since 2002 (computer records). Again, I think she can ask the notary office. She did this in addition to the notarized statement. Then the notary will translate everything.

For all this we paid about 15 or 1600 rmb. But have her start with the govt notary office and they will direct her where to get the single cert.

She will need her family id for everything. Again, this is Shanghai, other cities of course may be different.

Ken's right, follow his directions, and yes, the white booklet is the notarization of your translated document. Also remember to make copy of the original to take with your notarized copy, just as an extra.

good luck

Edited by HanLi (see edit history)
Ken's right, follow his directions, and yes, the white booklet is the notarization of your translated document.  Also remember to make copy of the original to take with your notarized copy, just as an extra.

good luck

170614[/snapback]

This is good information!

By chance, do you have the Chinese translation (character form) of these documents and places where to obtain them?

=)

This website is great! I've been saving my first post for my biggest Challenge.

My fiancée lives in Shanghai, but she is from LuZhou (Sichuan Province). We’ve been told she needs to get her birth certificate in Sichuan, but once this is retrieved, where can we get the Official English Translation (I’ve been told it comes in a white “booklet? true?)?

We’ve also been told that she needs to get a “police report?from each city she has lived in. Where in Shanghai can we get this? And would a small town like LuZhou understand what it is we need? Do these police reports need to be translated too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

170600[/snapback]

My laopo lives in Shanghai and she got the police record from the local police office in the district where she lives. Her birth certificate is from her birth province. Both documents got translated and notarized at the Notary Office of Shanghai in Feng Yang Road.

She got four copies of everything, of all documents like marriage, university diploma, divorce papers, etc. Cost a fraction of what it would cost in US. The translated documents do come in white 8.5" x 14" size glue-bound sheets and with official red stamps including signatures of the translator. The turn around time is one week, if they are not busy. Rush service is available for small additional cost.

Edited by bubbafred10 (see edit history)
I have to say that some of the info above *MAY* be wrong!!!

Where is her Hukou? in Shanghai or Luzhou? She can generally only obtain these records from her REGISTERED HUKOU!!!

Also a PC at her registered Hukou covers the entire country in the case of China.

Good Luck!!! Richard

170660[/snapback]

A Shanghai citizen doesn't need a hukou. The Shanghai citizenship paper is the hukou. Such was the case with my laopo. My stepson is not a Shanghai citizen, so he needed to get those documents from the provincial district where he was born. That was easy process by giving a few gifts for faster processing. The gifts are as simple as a carton of good cigarettes or a bottle of liquor or a box of tea, about $20 - $30 range each. For stepson's passport, it was extra fee for fast processing (3 days) and one must ask (i.e. demand) for it at the desk.

Edited by bubbafred10 (see edit history)

Gao Yuan, my wife got her and my step-daughter's birth certificate done in Chengdu, and at the same time they can do the translation too, all put in 1 booklet. Make sure your SO take some pictures(4) similar to passport type. She makes 4 sets for them both. Both of their houkou is in Guangdong province, but they both were born in Sichuan. I do not know where this place is, my wife does but she is currently in Shenzhen getting other documents so I can not help you more til she gets back home. Or you can have your SO ask the people in 001.

Edited by ckhang (see edit history)
This is good information!

By chance, do you have the Chinese translation (character form) of these documents and places where to obtain them?

=)

170623[/snapback]

No, I sure dont, I dont know exactly what her process was, I just know she began with a phone call to the notary, and about 2 visits there. If you still need more info, let me know and I will ask more details from her.