GUZ

goneflying2000

If as GUZ says they do not predetermine the results of our loved ones interview based on the fact that they do not have the time to review the applicants file prior to the visa interview, could they please explain the below State Department directive?

U.S. Department of State Foreign Affairs Manual Volume 9 - Visas

9 FAM 42.62 PROCEDURAL NOTES

9 FAM 42.62 PN1 PREPARING FOR APPOINTMENT WITH APPLICANT (TL:VISA-584; 10-14-2003) a. When appearing at the appointed time for the formal visa appointment, an applicant is entitled to receive prompt attention. The post should pull and review the following prior to the appointment, preferably the preceding day: (1) Form DS-230, Application for Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration; and (2) Any documents that may have been filed in the A-Z file. b. The consular officer shall send unclassified material to the document checker for review. The consular officer shall review classified material.

Logic would dictate that if the VO reviews these files before hand as the DOS directive states and the interview only being less than 5 minutes then the decision must me pretty much made before hand and only confirmed at the interview.

I guess there is an official position, and an un-official position that they take.........

Or the difference between regulation and practice... In the end, what is a guideline vs a mandatory directive is hard to figure out sometimes..

170523[/snapback]

I would imagine the DOS would state that the FAM is not a suggestion, but a directive on how posts perform their duties. If not then the entire section on security could be discarded without thought.

This may be splitting hairs, but USCONGUZ only said that consular officers generally don't review the files.

Due to the large volume of visa interviews every day, consular officers unfortunately do not generally have time to review individual cases before the interview.

Others, like document checkers or other personnel, might actually be checking out the files and possibly flagging something for the consular officer.